Music Scene

Well....here in Salt Lake City, Utah, I would rate the music scene as a whole at about a "5" or maybe a even a "6".

BUT.....as far as TRUE metal goes; black/death/prog/power or the other many sub-genres, i'd give it a big fat negative "-10" :yuk:

Sadly....I think that's why we get passed up for a lot of good tours to come through town. and we can't book a gig in our own home town on a good night to save our ass!:yell:
I'd like to see that change in the near future.
I have plan......to build a giant laser beam....... :devil:

rotting in front of his computer....
Dustin

Well I have to tell you, being from the state capital and home to Michigan State U., the music scene in general is about a 4. There's a few decent bands like Summon (Black Metal), Powerface (hardcore), Summer Dying (Death Metal).

As far as Heavy, progressive or Power metal goes I'd have to rate it right down with SLC....Lansing gets a big fat -10. There isn't one band I can think of that plays Power or Progressive metal. In fact you'd have to drive to detroit to find any real music such as the Tiles or Kalamazoo for Harvyst.

:(

John

we can't book a gig in our own home town on a good night to save our ass!

Dustin, you start playing progressive country music and I can hook you up. :lol:

Actually it seems from my poor vantage that people just aren't that interested in live music anymore.

Originally posted by markgugs
Well, Wyckoff, New Jersey is a suberb of NYC, so it doesn't have a music scene to speak of, BUT, I'm only 15 miles from NYC, which I'd have to say is a big, fat, TEN!

10/10 for NYC? Interesting - any particular hang outs etc?

I would rate Wisconsin ( mainly milwaukee) a 1.

It's really sad. We have one of the biggest music festivals in the states. SUMMERFEST. Has top acts from all over, plus local acts. Runs For 7 days, usually over the 4th of july. Something like 10 or 12 stages. with every type of music you can think playing sometime during the event. But, our local scene sucks. There is no support. Most of the clubs have gone to dance club or sports bar. The clubs that still have bands, want cover bands. Not originals bands. So it makes it a lot harder to get seen around here.

Kent
6759824.jpg

maestro_al:

NYC doesn't exactly have metal "hangouts" per se, but with the sheer number of places to see live music, rarely does a month go by without something good to see. Add in some New Jersey-based venues and our scene is killer, especially for the U.S.

L'amours Brooklyn in, well, Brooklyn, is a fairly famous live metal venue (check www.lamourrocks.com for info); for example, they're getting the Manowar/Immortal show at the end of the month.

Roseland Ballroom can always be counted on for quality shows for the bands that need room for 2-3,000, and Irving Plaza is my personal favorite, holding roughly 1200 or so (Down is playing there on Wednesday).

There's a ton other smaller places as well: North Six and the Warsaw, also in Brooklyn. Brownies, the Bowery Ballroom, and the Mercury Lounge, all in lower Manhattan. The Beacon Theatre, featuring the best damn acoustics around, on the upper west side (I saw Queensryche there last November, and Dream Theatre just played 2 sold out shows about one month ago). There's more, but I can't think of 'em right now. NYC is a great scene though, to be sure.

I'm near good 'ol Chicago and I have to say that the scene is a 7 or 8 out of 10. In my opinion, in the times we live in, it is almost impossible to get a 10 out of 10 just because Metal is not given the support it deserves, but nonetheless the shows here are consistent and good, oh and it seems times are a'changin, since this year already is the best year for metal I have experienced so far and November(even though I'm going to Atlanta) is not even here yet!

Orlando never has any good metal, unless it's crappy Glam reunions i.e Poison,faster pussycat. Either that or Nsync Britney Spears(Hey it is Orlando) Although I did see Black Label Society about a year ago, Slayer is coming here this Month. But never any prog or Power Metal bands. South Florida and Tampa get alot of Death Metal bands.