PP USA VII: Headliners confirmed

metamorphosis said:
If my reaction this morning was too harsh then I apoligize but it simply reflects my growing disappointment with this festival.
I didn't think it was too harsh.

metamorphosis said:
It's supposed to be power metal and prog metal...what do mercenary, nevermore and evergrey have to do with power metal and prog metal??
With any genre, the lines blur. Nevermore is often labled as Power Metal or Power Thrash, or something along those lines. I'd say that Jeff and Van's play is as technical as almost anyone whose ever played PP (with a few exceptions). I would describe Evergrey as Dark Power Metal, with some slight Prog tendencies. As for Mercenary, their music is also a type of Dark Power Metal, albeit with some harsh vocals. Really it comes down to, do you classify a band by its music or its vocals?

metamorphosis said:
It's turning into just another typical metal fest, mosh pits and all.
Glenn has stated over and over, there will be no moshing. And in essence, is providing those people who want to see Nevermore, but don't want to deal with the craziness that comes with it, a perfect opportunity to do so.

metamorphosis said:
There is no shortage of festivals that promote this type of metal, and this was the one that was supposed to promote power metal and progressive metal. Maybe that doesn't bring in enough money, who knows.
How many US festivals would have Evergrey with an orchestra? How many festivals are offering Nevermore a 2 hour set? How many are bringing over Freak Kitchen? I'm guessing (I may be wrong) you prefer traditional Power Metal. That's cool. However, it's not my cup of tea. I have no interest in Gamma Ray, Helloween, Pretty Maids, Running Wild, etc. I think this line-up is stellar.

metamorphosis said:
In any case, I'm going, but mostly for the company of friends from around the continent, not for what is a shockingly weak lineup.
That's cool. Hopefully you'll give those bands who you don't expect much from a shot, and one or two of them will surprise you.

Zod

metamorphosis said:
If my reaction this morning was too harsh then I apoligize but it simply reflects my growing disappointment with this festival.

It's supposed to be power metal and prog metal...what do mercenary, nevermore and evergrey have to do with power metal and prog metal??

It's turning into just another typical metal fest, mosh pits and all. There is no shortage of festivals that promote this type of metal, and this was the one that was supposed to promote power metal and progressive metal. Maybe that doesn't bring in enough money, who knows.

In any case, I'm going, but mostly for the company of friends from around the continent, not for what is a shockingly weak lineup.

I feel they all feel great. You can not please everyone.

Ascension said:
So...according to your assessment of the responses there will be approximately 175 people watching Nevermore. I agree with that.
I suppose if you want to intentionally twist what I said, you could construe that. My point is simple; the overwhelming majority of people who post to this forum are very excited about Nevermore as a headliner. It stands to reason, that the opinions of the forum, are indicative of those held by the demographic from which this festival draws from.

Will some people leave before Nevermore comes on? Of course. That happens to the last band no matter who it is. Will they play to a crowd of 175? I doubt it.

Zod

jaimek said:
I've gone to four of six ProgPowers. Glenn has never once failed to come up with at least two bands that kick my ass - including this year's lineup - and that's always made it worth my while. Thunderstone alone woulda made it a done deal, and Evergrey goes without saying (*takes off her fangirl hat*), but I loved Mercenary the last time, and Nevermore kicked ass at BWBK.

Only reason I'm not going this year is because there's a different group of friends that I'd like to spend a week with this time around - otherwise I'd be there. If that's swinging from Glenn's nutsack, then everyone needs to shove over so I can get my tenterhooks in too.

But who's going to help me judge the best ass in leather pants contest???/ :cry:

Burke said:
EVER FUCKING GREY

If one band was really gonna get me excited about this festival, THIS was it.
:hotjump:

You can never please everyone putting together a festival like this and I wasn't as stoked about this show as I was the past two years.... but Glenn really pulled it out the ACE card at the 11th hour for me - SHIT! :Spin:

Headliner

AND the orchestra and choir set up? Glenn bucking the odds and getting them to do what was always a one-off idea.... again???

:worship:

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Fucking A

Glenn you da man
DITTO!!! This could really make up for missing EG's "A Night To Remember" in Gothenburg in Dec, 2004! That DVD is so awesome and now I get to see EG for the 3rd time in ALL of their glory! Glenn, you're the "miracle worker!!!"

Also, from what little of Nevermore that I've heard so far, they seem to kick ass! I'm looking forward to checking out more of their stuff and seeing them play!

General Zod said:
Glenn has stated over and over, there will be no moshing. And in essence, is providing those people who want to see Nevermore, but don't want to deal with the craziness that comes with it, a perfect opportunity to do so.

Thank God, err, Glenn! I saw Nevermore a couple months ago (Opeth support) and had to deal with 2 idiots who only wanted to smash into people (and probably didn't even care who was on stage).

General Zod said:
Will some people leave before Nevermore comes on? Of course. That happens to the last band no matter who it is. Will they play to a crowd of 175? I doubt it.

Zod

That shouldn't happen with a competent & talented band that deserves a headlining spot. Nevermore on the other hand...Saturday will result in a mass exodus fairly comparable to what happened at Rage's set. I understand that that situation was due in part to Evergrey's signing session. But, a band with enough talent & energy should hold their own no matter what the circumstances.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
I am going to have to agree with you never has a band of this magnitude played PP and they will crush every other band that has ever played PP possibly will ever play PP.

I have to say you're pretty wrong man, Made in New Jersey pointed out something pretty correct. (although to me gamma ray was just a vice-headliner to Angra hehehe)

Trust me.. there will be about 175 people who will dare leaving before Nevermore takes the stage...

Hah... they're all scared! hahahahaha

Excellent! Evergrey can play every year as far as I'm concerned!!!
This promises to be one of the best lineups for guitar overkill, your
efforts are greatly appreciated Glenn!

Cheers,

Neal

i just wanna say it's going to rule...with 3 of my favorite bands on the bill.

Epica, Thunderstone, and Nevermore.

Having Epica come here is a dream...a total dream!
Thunderstone will probably never come back to the USA after this fest...so another gem!

And Nevermore...seen them a few times...but not yet on this latest record.

Savage Circus seems like a cool setup...i dig Iron Savior for the most part...

can't wait for it. Thanks Glenn. Moving to Atlanta wasn't the worst idea after all.

AngraRULES said:
Trust me.. there will be about 175 people who will dare leaving before Nevermore takes the stage...

Hah... they're all scared! hahahahaha

Naaa...I sat through their boring set at Gigantour...wasn't the least bit impressed.
Now...The Dillenger Escape Plan on the other hand...after the water bottle the singer flung into the audience whizzed past my head...I was frightened LOL.

Ascension said:
That shouldn't happen with a competent & talented band that deserves a headlining spot. Nevermore on the other hand...Saturday will result in a mass exodus fairly comparable to what happened at Rage's set. I understand that that situation was due in part to Evergrey's signing session. But, a band with enough talent & energy should hold their own no matter what the circumstances.

Since you can obviously see so far into the future, can you tell me who's going to win the SuperBowl, and by what score? I'd like to place a wager that will pay for my entire trip to ProgPower so I can be one of the 175 people who stick around to watch Nevermore.

kthxbye

Glad to see Glenn's making this announcement with such FLAIR!!!

"To be the man, you've got to beat the man!"

Based on responses to this announcement, Glenn has not only beaten the man, he's put him in a sack, rolled over him with a truck, dissected his corpse with helicopter blades, burned the pieces and scattered the ashes all over Georgia.

WHOOOO!

:)

Ken

MadeInNewJersey said:
Since you can obviously see so far into the future, can you tell me who's going to win the SuperBowl, and by what score? I'd like to place a wager that will pay for my entire trip to ProgPower so I can be one of the 175 people who stick around to watch Nevermore.

kthxbye

Take Seattle...I prefer Pitt to win, but my Magic Eightball keeps coming up..."Not Likely".

Bryan316 said:
This is what happens when people start referencing pro-wrestling. HEE HEE!

Evergrey-Undertaker.jpg

I'm such a dork.

Now go get a shot of Matt Barlow from the Iced Earth band pictures on Days of Purgatory or Something Wicked This Way Comes and make a sign for a triple threat match!

Ken