• 50% Power; 50% Prog

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • 25% Power; 75% Prog

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • 100% Prog

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
25 Power/75 Prog

My favorites are definitely more proggy ... Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind, Yes.
But I love melodic stuff too, but usually a little doomier than your basic power metal like Primal Fear, Iced Earth etc, bands that I like but don't go gaga over.

More like Anathema, Sentenced, Lake of Tears, which loom somewhere in the mix, but not sure where...

100% prog: DGM...

I checked these guys out and I have to disagree with you John. Sorry but I believe they're closer to the 50/50 rating.

But I do like them even though I cast my vote for the 75/25 Power over Prog rating. :kickass:

but I can lean toward the 50/50 easily with bands such as Pagan's Mind, Kamelot, Symphony X and THERION!!!

Some bands definitely fit in a category (I agree with Trivium and their ilk being purely (power) metal). Others, like, DT, its weird to argue what style they are. To me, badass bands are the ones that write whatever the hell they feel like writing, not caring about adhering to a particular style and not trying to be different on purpose (oddly, the same criteria for determining a 'cool' person for some). Compare SymX's Communion and the Oracle vs. Set The World on Fire. Two totally different styles for one band! Or DT's Another Day (Pop), Lie (Metal), or 6 degrees (everything in between). I always thought that 'prog' and 'fusion' meant, among other things, an aggregation of styles to create something new. Anyway, I usually only like bands that can't be placed into categories for a poll like this, and oddly, most of the bands mentioned straddle all of those styles IMO.