Votes: 48 52.7%
  • Power

Votes: 43 47.3%

• Total voters

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
Reading Glenn's "How It Happened" thread got me to wondering what most of the folks here prefer - Prog or Power. I really distain labels and categories, but the difference between Prog and Power is great enough to differentiate. There is to be overlap for sure, but, in general, which do you prefer?

Personally, I am a Power person. Some Prog is OK, but I just like to get dirty, headbang and throw some horns!! :headbang:

What about U??

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

Same here as Bear I Love Prog, but i also love Power, so i am on the fence with 50/50. Your poll should have addressed that also, just a suggestion.

a few years ago, I would have said I was about 80/20 Power to Prog. But after attending so many great PPUSA festivals, I'm probably closer to 60/40 Power to Prog presently.

:headbang:

Thanks Glenn!

Same here as Bear I Love Prog, but i also love Power, so i am on the fence with 50/50. Your poll should have addressed that also, just a suggestion.

I thought about that, but I wanted tendencies. I think most bands I've seen at PP have elements of both, but I wanted preferences. I always thought Dream Theater was Prog, but seeing them live, they can get a powerful as anyone. What is Edguy?? I dunno - I just like them!!

Anyway, my question is all about which way you lean. 50/50 is fine, but I didn't want it skewing the data. I am probably 70 Power; 30 Prog.

Chris :headbang:

POwer all the way. I like some Prog but pure Prog bands like Zero Hour do NOTHING for me.

I'm into more Power. For more prog there are already festivals (e.g. Baja Prog).

I want a festival where power metal can shine over thrash, doom, death, black, etc. I won't mind to have bands like Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Helloween, Falconer, Firewind, Steel Prophet, Sabaton, Wolf, Tyr, Crescent Shield, Forgotten Tales, Seventh One, Freedom Call, Skyclad, etc playing til my ears bleed.

to be honest i must say Prog,but power sometimes is the best way to scream love for music!!:headbang:

I would have to say that my personal tastes run about:

60/65% PROG
40/35% POWER

[But I am 100% all about the ProgPower festival no matter HOW it shakes out every year :loco: :headbang: ]

I enjoy the mix that the festival provides. I'd say I tend to lean more on the prog-end of things, but then there's bands that are in the power category that I truly enjoy seeing live.

Good question and I would have to say that I am one who likes bands that have the power element but do have some prog thrown in for good measure. So I would say I am 70 Power/ 30 Prog.

Brand

I like when bands "mix it up" as well. When I first went to pp 1.0 I was much more into Prog. (Symphony X and PoS) Then after pp III I began to understand Power more. Now some of my favorite bands are Power but I still will have to vote Prog.

It's hard to say, given just those two options.

I like a lot of power metal in the American style (thrashy, darker, not as bombastic), but I like almost no Europower, which seems to be the far bigger draw for Glenn.

I like a lot of what I consider prog metal, but those bands tend to be more musically involved than the prog bands Glenn books. I don't consider bands like Vandenplas or Threshold to be proggy at all.

But I realize I don't fit the mold here, so I'll shut up now. :p

I'm all about PROGmetal. Pure power metal actually gets boring to me after a song or two, even live (I basically don't listen to power at all outside of ProgPowerUSA).

Having said that, if a band blends prog and power metal (ie. Redemption), I'm good with that...as long as the prog is there to keep my attention.

To address someone's comment that "there are other festivals for prog"...that's true. There are other festivals for PROG. But not for ProgMETAL. Huge difference. I like Prog, too, but mostly listen to ProgMETAL...and for my live fix I rely on ProgPower USA. So, thanks, Glenn! :headbang:

Craig

It's hard to say, given just those two options.

I like a lot of power metal in the American style (thrashy, darker, not as bombastic), but I like almost no Europower, which seems to be the far bigger draw for Glenn.

I like a lot of what I consider prog metal, but those bands tend to be more musically involved than the prog bands Glenn books. I don't consider bands like Vandenplas or Threshold to be proggy at all.

But I realize I don't fit the mold here, so I'll shut up now. :p

I feel exactly the same way. Good post.