Prog vs Power Preferences

Are you going to PP USA 3.0 for the Prog or the Power?

• Power: Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Angra, Edguy, Silent Force

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Progressive: Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend, Threshold, Reading Zero, Zero Hour

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Indifferent: "I would still go if the emphasis was on either style of music"

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
In light of Prog Power III's emphasis on BIG Power Metal acts, is your interest in going based on the Prog or the Power!?

It's interesting because melodic power metal is so different to progressive/modern jazz type stuff. Still, events like PP give everyone a sample a la carte so to speak.

I'm sure this concert would sell out for BG and Gamma Ray fans alone.

Definately the Power metal. I don't really find most Prog stuff very interesting. It's weird, I've never really enjoyed stuff like Dream Theater or Fates Warning but I really like stuff like The Tiles, Rush, Watchtower. I'm definately into more Power metal stuff and really looking forward to Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray and Silent Force.

John

PROG definately!

Of the power bands... I like Silent Force... I love the new Angra album... but not any of their old stuff... I used to like Blind Guardian... but I've grown bored of them and their new album stinks... once upon a time I even enjoyed Gamma Ray... yuck... and Edboy is probably the most annoying band in existance.

Of the prog... Pain Of Salvation is my favorite band. Devin Townsend's "Terria" and "Ocean machine" are works of genius. Threshold kicks ass and is seriously underrated. Zero Hour are technical wizards who manage to make extremely good songs. I am still unsure about Reading Zero... i guess they're ok.

Power metal...all the way. I consider much of it to be progressive, as an adjective, not a genre, though, especially Blind Guardian. When progressive becomes a genre, I get bored with it.

I had no idea who 90% of the bands were LAST year, but I went just the same. So does it really matter?
If so, then I'd give my right eye to see Blind Guardian. Is that enough of an answer for ya?

::: plucks out right eye and hands it to Glenn... :::

Power is my vote, I just can't get into the prog THAT much. some is ok, but I feel a lot of times some bands take it a little too far to the extreme where it sounds like the engineer records and the band members go off into their own little worlds for 8 minutes.

I have a very open mind to all forms of metal/rock music, but I find it hard to get into most prog bands.

I have to say, At first I was basically just looking forward to Edguy,BG, and Gamma Ray. But after discovering The ProgPower festival, and knowing that I was goning to attend. I started buying CD's from bands I wouldn't have otherwise. Like Devin Townsend, Zero Hour, and Pain of Salvation. And all these bands kick butt, Devin Townsend's "ocean Machine" is a cool album, I am kinda "iffy" on the genius label, but hey it's just peoples opnions;everyone has one. Pain of Salvation, just completely kick butt, I look forward to buying all their albums. And Zero Hour will rattle your nuts, with their rhythm section. I really have to thank Glenn for turning me on to new bands. I really think he has his finger on the pulse of the Prog/Power metal fan. So now my opinion has shifted from wanting to see the Power metal most:to wanting to see both equally. But Edguy are still my favorites. And damn!!! Still 5 months till November!!

For one thing I consider Threshold power and not prog. But I really don't like to label stuff as this or as that. I call power/prog/death/black metal all good metal, well, some black and death. I call mainstream/nu-metal/hardcore, or anything else that is not good bad metal. Those are my 2 labels. It is either good or bad, not well, this band is prog so I like them better than this band that is considered power. If I like I like it and I don't care what people label it. I like all 10 bands on the roster and can't wait to see all of them, even though the so called power metal bands are the ones I am really looking forward to seeing. The only difference between prog and power is that power metal has more intricate guitar riffs, faster, and more double bass. Unless you are talking about a so-called prog band like spiral architect, ark, zero hour, or what have you.

I just think the hardest thing for me to appreciate in prog is all those off-timed drum beats and aimless interludes. It does my head in - even Symphony X can sound too busy at times and it all seems a little unnecessary IMO. I think an album like V could have been a little better if they didn't widdle about so much a la Malmsteen/Petrucci. Having said that, I do not dispute that V is magnificient.

I assume that the prog music I tend to dislike has spawned from jazz elements, and I hate jazz with a goddamn passion. Especially that modern jazz shit that sounds like their making it up as they go along. Too much prog suffers from that 'head up the ass' syndrome where the music becomes aimless and starts to drift into oblivion.

Originally posted by JayKeeley
I just think the hardest thing for me to appreciate in prog is all those off-timed drum beats and aimless interludes. It does my head in - even Symphony X can sound too busy at times and it all seems a little unnecessary IMO. I think an album like V could have been a little better if they didn't widdle about so much a la Malmsteen/Petrucci. Having said that, I do not dispute that V is magnificient.

I assume that the prog music I tend to dislike has spawned from jazz elements, and I hate jazz with a goddamn passion. Especially that modern jazz shit that sounds like their making it up as they go along. Too much prog suffers from that 'head up the ass' syndrome where the music becomes aimless and starts to drift into oblivion.

You're the one with the head up his ass.

Let me put a stop to this potential flame war right here. I will delete this thread in a heartbeat if becomes a personal attack.

I disagree strongly with Jay's analysis of prog, but he has a right to say it. Instead of turning it personal, lets keep focused on the issue of prog vs. power.

As for my personal tastes, I consider myself both a prog and power metal fan. However, my tastes do lean towards the more complex and mentally stimulating side of music, which is not often found in power metal.

Glenn H.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan

You're the one with the head up his ass.

Gosh - what remarkable intelligence....almost as clever as referring to Edguy as 'Edboy' in your earlier posts.

Jay's description does touch on some points of relevance - particularly where prog music tends to get 'lost' at times. If you take the example of DT, John Petrucci plays complex patterns that detract from the beautiful melodies embedded within the chromatics (the anti-melodious scale structure).

Likewise, Michael Romeo and Michael Pinnela tend to play their 'random notes' in unison almost to the point that I find myself just waiting for a melody to come along. Don't get me wrong - V: new mythology suite has moments of sheer epic like grandeur, and yet at times, it can get boring as hell. They are talented musicians, but then again, so is Yngwie Malmsteen - and there is nothing more I would like to hear than a Malmsteen album without the solos.

I guess my mental simulation comes from the anthem like melodies and harmonious guitar pieces that power has to offer - particularly where an apparent evolutionary link can be drawn from bands of yesteryear like Iron Maiden, Dio, Rainbow, Helloween etc. I would say this to be true particularly because I grew up in the era of the NWOBHM - what a revolution of sound that was, and the power bands today continue to hold that torch.

Still, I'd be open to hear a defence played forward for prog - particularly in reflection to the comments made regarding its growth from jazz fusion rock (Rush, Yes, Genesis etc) and into the bands we have today like The Flower Kings and Spocks Beard.