ProgPower USA IX picture thread

Remember our exchange about shooting raw? I post-process heavily. So far Nailz, Minerva and myself are confirmed RAW shooters. The under-exposure latitude and white balance correct-ability of RAW certainly came in handy on multiple occasions.

My most common exposure was probably ISO 1600 1/125-1/160 at around f2.0. Once I catch up with the backlog, I can post a before/during/after RAW conversion sample of an image if you are interested.
Yes, I do remember that conversation, now that you reminded me, thank you.

ISO 1600? That explains a lot too. I was not going over 1000 for most shots and still fighting the grain. Our speed and f-stop were similar. I really would like to see the before and after shots, it you don't mind and find the time.

As for post processing, yea it's time consuming, but I'm an addict! Love doing it and spend way too much at it, but imo, it's the best computer game out there, and I'm a gaming freak. Give me photos to play with, and Blizzard pales in interest. Thanks, esa!

wow - some really great photography here! please hurry up and post all you have of JOP, as i ended up having to sit really far away for them, and want to see what they looked like up close. :p

i have a background in film photography, but just have a cheap digital point-and-shoot right now (Canon PS-a650) that doesn't do this kind of low-light stuff worth crap. these shots may be the motivation i need to finally break down get a decent dslr. am i understanding correctly that all the shots posted here were digital? or were some of you guys shooting film too? thx for the link to that other photo-tech thread too, btw - some good info in there. i agree that shooting raw (if available), filling up tons of cards, and photoShopping after the fact is a great way to go.

keep up the great work! i'm jealous - will have to have to start practicing at some shows soon to be able to do this in the future.

Here it is: do you see yourself or anyone you know?

09-26-08_1725PPCROWD.jpg

Yep, I see Ron, Lek, Yip and myself.

Here it is: do you see yourself or anyone you know?

I labeled a few here. Great shot! Doesn't everyone look happy? Awesome! :headbang:

09-26-08_1725PPCROWD.jpg

I love this shot of Ron's sister in the "tennis ball chair"

08ppRonsSis.jpg

Did I post this one yet? Can't remember. Fun times!

08PPfriends2.jpg

Ok, I'm still wading through the enormous amount of photos I took but I have to share this one with you all, 'cause it just cracks me up every time I see it.

DSC_0334_filtered.jpg

Is it me, or does it look like Rob is giving birth? :lol:

Too funny!!! What a great picture!! :)

am i understanding correctly that all the shots posted here were digital? or were some of you guys shooting film too?

Yep, everything posted here so far is digital. Pros and camera geeks shoot with digital SLRs because of their (for now) inherent advantages over the point-and-shoot crowd:

* Good and continously improving high-ISO quality
* Fast lenses (f-stops <= 2.0)
* Fast and low-light capable autofocus

A notable exception each year is Andy Laudano who shoots with film for Harder Beat magazine (search for "laudano" here for examples of his work.) As I plod through NN gigabytes and N,NNN frames from PP9, I'm in awe of film shooters like Andy.

A notable exception each year is Andy Laudano who shoots with film for Harder Beat magazine (search for "laudano" here for examples of his work.) As I plod through NN gigabytes and N,NNN frames from PP9, I'm in awe of film shooters like Andy.

Me, too. Film? What's film? Oh, emulsions! :)

Happily, Andy will be with us for a while longer...although it was only a matter of a second or two and my hitting the brakes really fast that kept him alive and on this Earth (and me, too).
On the way to drop Andy off at his hotel after dropping Bill Hudson off at his hotel on Wednesday night, a driver blew through a red light at full speed, literally a few feet in front of my abruptly-stopped car. It would have plowed my little car into next week.

*whew*

Too close for comfort.

pretty sure i'm not in there - during which band was this taken? that will let me know if it's worth looking further.

These are freaking awesome - I sure hope you were down front for Jon Oliva's Pain - I don't have the skills or equipment to replicate this kind of work. mine are just some "snapshots" taken by a drunk, overly enthused person who happened to be in the pit for a band he was sponsoring.

Cheers
Jeff

These are freaking awesome - I sure hope you were down front for Jon Oliva's Pain - I don't have the skills or equipment to replicate this kind of work. mine are just some "snapshots" taken by a drunk, overly enthused person who happened to be in the pit for a band he was sponsoring.

Cheers
Jeff

I would hope he was down in front.. he's the official progpower photographer, you know.. :)