ProgPower USA VIII: 4th Slot bands confirmed

Why? Is he not allowed to have an opinion that differentiates from yours?

He is more than welcome to have his own opinion, I wasn't trying to negate his opinion, I was calling him an asshole because he belittled fans of Primal Fear, calling them "mindless, beer chugging, fist pumping folk". That struck a cord with me, as I am a fan of Primal Fear as well as many others here. I am tired of year after year someone not getting their way and bitching about it to everyone else. Be happy that there is a fucking premier metal festival in the US where the promoter actually gives a damn and strives year after year to create a quality metal experience for everyone in attendance. If you don't like who is playing at the festival, as I said in an earlier post, don't go. Or if it is just a band that you don't like, go to the merch room during their set. That's what I do. I don't bitch about the band out of respect to the people that do like them. They are all doing a hell of a lot better than I am, gracing a stage such as Progpower while I am out in the crowd. So, yes, he is more than welcome to have his opinion, I am not trying to change it, but don't resort to name calling and insults just because you don't like a band that is playing.

B

Grow some thicker skin. People who aren't happy about a lineup shouldn't have the ability to ruin your good time because they bitch about it. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and people are just going to express their dissatisfaction. Don't think for a minuite Glenn gives a shit about someone like that guy, or me, who says "ugh" when Pagan's Mind was announced. We all respect the man for what he does, but everything he touches does not turn to gold. He's capable of disappointing some while elaiting others with the same move. People are different. I guess maybe DT J needs to understand that too.

If a primal fear fan is a mindless beer chugging fist pumping person, then for the night, I'd be happy to fit the description. However, due to the lineup, I don't see exactly how he can argue the point. There's no one announced in any of the other slots, as far as I'm concerned, except Virgin Steele, who would be more deserving.

Virgin Steele have had some bad albums early on but the House of Atreus discs are in my top 25 of all time. Absolutely beautiful and powerful music right there. I am elated to see 'em even if it's only the second slot. Pagan's Mind is definitely a solid choice and Primal Fear is killer. I can't believe how many people here say they are not familiar with them. Sure, they aren't rewriting the genre, but they are one of the definers. I saw them a couple years ago at BWBK and they absolutely killed, do yourselves a favor and get some PF, if you're a power metal fan, you won't be disappointed! As for the final slot, if Glen is going to really go off kilter, which it sounds like he may do, how about the recently reformed Witchfinder General!?!?

Pagans Mind babyyyyy!!! Glenn!!! you just made a little aussie boy very happy. My $2500 plane is so worthwhile now. U rock, thanks bro!! -Jon

It was posted on a private forum including information on the last band that I had hoped to get at the time.

I see. I take it then that this was a very localized and contained leak, hence your cryptic and closed thread earlier this week.

I am speechless. Pagan's Mind and Primal Fear. This lineup has been steadily kicking my ass, but now I don't think I own an ass any more. It now belongs to Pagan's Mind, who I have been dreaming and hoping for. This is unreal. I always seem to come home to such amazing announcements, but this is the king of them all. I don't even know the final acts and I already see this year in a tie with last year (and last year minus Pagan's Mind was my dream year). My pants are royally shat. Merry Christmas, my friends! CHEERS!!!

Man, I feel bad for Virgin Steele. A band with a long history that has composed and crafted some pretty amazing concept albums and finely polished metal operas getting bumped down by the two-album pan flash of Redemption and the generic Pagan's Mind. Virgin Steele is a special band, PM is just filler in the prog metal genre. A #2 or maybe #3.

And Primal Fear as #4. I don't even know where to start there. Guess all the mindless, beer chugging, fist pumping folk will be happy.

Let me get this straight, you feel bad for a band that's getting the chance to play the premiere festival of it's kind, in front of both fans from around the US and the world and expose themselves to a bunch of potential new fans?:erk: Somehow I doubt they're having any problems with this. I'll bet they'd be stoked to open the Showcase just for the opportunity to play in front of this type of audience in the US. Instead of bitching about their slot how about being happy for the opportunity to see one of your favorite bands in any capacity.

And as a proud member of the "mindless, beer chugging:kickass: :kickass:, fist pumping:headbang: :headbang: folk" let me say that I am extremely happy with the addition of Primal Fear! Thanks Glenn!!!:worship: :worship:

He is more than welcome to have his own opinion, I wasn't trying to negate his opinion, I was calling him an asshole because he belittled fans of Primal Fear, calling them "mindless, beer chugging, fist pumping folk". That struck a cord with me, as I am a fan of Primal Fear as well as many others here. I am tired of year after year someone not getting their way and bitching about it to everyone else. Be happy that there is a fucking premier metal festival in the US where the promoter actually gives a damn and strives year after year to create a quality metal experience for everyone in attendance. If you don't like who is playing at the festival, as I said in an earlier post, don't go. Or if it is just a band that you don't like, go to the merch room during their set. That's what I do. I don't bitch about the band out of respect to the people that do like them. They are all doing a hell of a lot better than I am, gracing a stage such as Progpower while I am out in the crowd. So, yes, he is more than welcome to have his opinion, I am not trying to change it, but don't resort to name calling and insults just because you don't like a band that is playing.

B

Well said!!!

!!!! This will be my 4th PP in a row, and this is the best lineup I've seen yet. Will definately be the best time for me. I'll finally be able to drink inside this year too. Where to start with Pagan's Mind. They blew me away at 4. Hopefully they play plenty of Celestial Entrance. Doesn't leave much room for rest or cd shopping. Could be a good or bad thing. THANK YOU GLENN as always

Both good, solid choices, Glenn! :kickass:

GREATEST FEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: well maybe close with no After Forever, but Brainstorm still might be the headliner. On the other hand that might be too much power, I think there will be a Prog band headlining Saturday for sure.

The scales definitely seem to be tipped more toward power than prog at this point, and I'd love to see a powerful progmetal band fill out the Saturday headliner slot....but it'd have to be a helluva powerful band to follow Primal Fear. :heh:

l'm diggin' the Pagan's Mind choice...their last release wasn't the mind blower that Celestial Entrance was, but CE was just a great freakin' cd! Hopefully, the new one will be as good as CE. But...dammit...another repeat? l would believe there are alot more bands out there that would jump at the opportunity to do PP.
Primal Fear...hmmm...l have some of their stuff but never really gave them a solid listen. If they didn't grab me then, it's probably that they are just generic. But, l will revisit. At least, it's new blood...l can applaud that.

The scales definitely seem to be tipped more toward power than prog at this point, and I'd love to see a powerful progmetal band fill out the Saturday headliner slot....but it'd have to be a helluva powerful band to follow Primal Fear. :heh:

A strong prog metal band would be fitting definitely. Preferably not a repeater, but that doesn't leave alot of options. Vanden Plas would have been my pick, but we know where they 're gonna be. Andromeda might be an option. Chimera was a great release by them. Dream Theater even covered one of their tunes (Encyclopedia) in their Instrumedley. Labyrinth might be good. They went prog with Freeman...even though their earlier & legendary material was power. That would make for an interesting setlist.

about the only thing that could make this any better would be Thunderstone @ the showcase, and Jag Panzer in the final slot....:worship: