ProgPower USA VIII: First Band confirmed

Empress said:
Which Arwen are you talking about? If you're talking about Memories of a Dream, you can find it on the endrecords, that one and the one before. I ordered my copy some time ago, but I'm sure they still have it.

I have the first one, which the title escapes me at the moment, it has a girl on the cover. I think the 2nd disc has a black cover with just text, could be wrong. Thanks for the heads up on TheEnd....I will look into it.

Diabolik said:
I have the first one, which the title escapes me at the moment, it has a girl on the cover. I think the 2nd disc has a black cover with just text, could be wrong. Thanks for the heads up on TheEnd....I will look into it.
It's called "Illusions" and it's fucking great! I'd love to see them live.

Jasonic said:
Note to Diabolik -
It is 2006. Get off dial-up.
For fucks sake, you can get DSL for $14.99
(Less than what you are probably paying for AO-Hell)

I think he meant the computer and not the connection speed, though I may be wrong.

When I first got the email this afternoon and came to the site to read the bio....I was skeptical, at best. But after getting home and having a listen I went immediatly and bought the first disc.

I found my copy at nuclearhell.com. $9.95 free shipping.

Dcowboys11 sent me a message earlier saying that Glenn may announce a band and I dropped my jaw in excitement. I figured whatever or whoever it was, I would buy the CD on the dot. When I browsed the threat and saw lasercd sold out the of the CD in two hours, I thought for a second I was screwed. Thank God for ebay. The track sounds amazing and I can't wait for ProgPower now. Geeze! What a day!

Harvester said:
My description of the entire disc (not just the samples):

The Black Symphony meets Bodom with a pinch of Eldritch/Evergrey thrown in.

So Raintime opens Friday night, and The Black Symphony opens Saturday, right? Did you know that Plester and Rev have reformed the band, and have a double CD being released early next year?
Just skip all the long answers and say "Yes."

*bursts into flames.* WOW!!! What an ass kicker for a first band! My kind of band, from speedy drumming and brutal/beautiful vocals to supreme musicianship from all performing, and most of all the ass kickingly HEAVY factor! Progpower never dissapoints! (and neither does Italy). CHEERS!!!!!

Hmmm... this sounds like what'd have happened if Dream Theater were born in Gothernburg Sweden. The only reason I'm saying this is because the keyboard riff is a total ape of "Acid Rain" by Liquid Tension Experiment.

Still, I love the bands vibe and sound. I'm not as sold as I was on Circus Maximus... but I have to say that this is some amazing shiznite.

It gets the Good Shit O' Prog stamp of approval. Glenn, please feel free to submit the next band for review and approval.

The Michael

I really like the music. I enjoy their clean vocals as well. I hate harsh vocals though. But I have been able to tolerate them with groups like Epica and After Forever. So if they don't go overboard with those type of vocals, then I might pick up the new album.

Joe-× said:
So, it's Ratt but they're playing power metal, and they've stolen Mike Score from A Flock of Seagulls and a random death barker. A cool combination that would have been better for me without the barking.

Joe

Umm...what a f***ed up combo...but you nailed it lol. Good musicians...could do without the acid throat vocs. Decent opener for sure.
Now...throw in Solid Vision for another opener and we've got a Prog Metal start both nights. Solid Vision would be about the closest to Dream Theater "ish" skilled musicians as you can find.

CHecked out the posted clips last night. NOt Bad. NOt fond of the agressive cookie type vox, but the rest I could listen to okay. Coolness...a new band to check out and watrch next year! THanks Glenn.

Coldie

Like someone said earlier, they do remind me a little bit of Mercenary with the mix of harsh/clean with melodic. They definately have potential and I think their music would come across better in a live show, as the sound tends to be more bombastic and heavier. To me the music is okay, I would not turn it off if it was playing, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to skip tracks on a CD to listen to it. I may have been hoping for too much with all the hype these last few days, but then without it they probably would have been overlooked like the countless other bands in power metal / prog that just leave you with a meh, another high pitched powermetal band with great instrumentals ruined by some singer's voice, however Raintime is much better then that and I would not mind seeing them live.