ProgPower USA VIII: First Band confirmed

Holy crap - I just listened to the first song you have on the audio page and I'm amazed. That keyboardist must have flying fingers!

Can't wait to listen to the rest of their stuff. I can't believe that nobody has picked these guys up yet.

Hi Everybody!!!!
Claudio from Raintime here!!!
First of all I would like to thank Glenn for this opportunity...
I also thank you guys...we couldn't imagine such a great response!!!!
Really thanks!!!!!
See ya at progpower 2007!!!!
Cheers from Italy!!!!

Jasonic,

$14.99 for DSL? Where???????? Not anywhere around here. I still get a quote of over $100 including installation from going dial up to DSL so I don't know what you're talking about. Fill me in. I NEED DSL!!!!

-Sean

I'm not a fan of growling. The clean melodic singing sounds pretty good. The music though is excellent. So I'm still up in the air about this band. I'd like to hear more of their music before I make a decision if I like them or not.

What's up with all the people not liking vocals that aren;t all clean?? I take it most of you don't listen to death, black, or melodic death bands. I personally love it and can;t wait to see them.

Claudio Raintime said:
Hi Everybody!!!!
Claudio from Raintime here!!!
First of all I would like to thank Glenn for this opportunity...
I also thank you guys...we couldn't imagine such a great response!!!!
Really thanks!!!!!
See ya at progpower 2007!!!!
Cheers from Italy!!!!

Hell yeah Claudio! Sounds great, see ya then!:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

The_Q said:
Jasonic,

$14.99 for DSL? Where???????? Not anywhere around here. I still get a quote of over $100 including installation from going dial up to DSL so I don't know what you're talking about. Fill me in. I NEED DSL!!!!

-Sean

DSL is cheap in Cali 15-25 bucks. Cable 40-60.

I'm a little dissapointed. I just packed away about 200 cd's,and Raintime is in that box.Now I have to go dig it out and see what I didn't like about it,or if it was just another disc that slipped through the cracks.
Scary thing is,Pain of Salvation "One Hour..." was one of those discs that didn't hit me immediately.I hated it at first listen.A few months after I bought it,I remember digging it out for another spin...Middle of the night,on my boombox while I sorted through some shit I had stored under the bathroom sinks.I said to myself...hhmmm,this isn't half bad...listened again and again and next thing you know,POS is one of my 5 favorite bands.
I'll dig it out and give it a close listen.

VenomGA said:
What's up with all the people not liking vocals that aren;t all clean?? I take it most of you don't listen to death, black, or melodic death bands. I personally love it and can;t wait to see them.

I like gutteral/growling vocals sometimes, it all depends on the band and the music. Sometimes it just works and it clicks, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's silly. I love Mercenary's Hours that Remain, to me it's a perfect mix of just enough clean/growling and the music and melody is fantastic. I don't know if you can call them a pure black metal band or not. If I had to pick one black metal band that signifies what I like in black metal I would have to go with Dimmu Borgir, yeah I know they are kind of like the Dragonforce of Black Metal and they sell their t-shirts at the shopping malls:rolleyes: , there goes my black metal street cred lol, not that I had too much to begin with, or caring about such thing is worth anyone's time.

I tend to like the Troll/Goblin voices more then just plain screaming in a wanna-be satanic voice, this can be witnessed on some Epica songs. I also like the vocals this one female singer in a russian BM band called Gothic Sky does.

So I can only speak for myself, I don't hate the harsh vocals, I find myself being drawn more and more towards BM/Death, the key is that it has to be something worth noticing and unique among the crowd. In the end you either like the music or you don't, I don't tend to dismiss something just because it falls under some genere, if it clicks for me then I'll listen to it.

Entrerie said:
I like gutteral/growling vocals sometimes, it all depends on the band and the music. Sometimes it just works and it clicks, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's silly. I love Mercenary's Hours that Remain, to me it's a perfect mix of just enough clean/growling and the music and melody is fantastic. I don't know if you can call them a pure black metal band or not. If I had to pick one black metal band that signifies what I like in black metal I would have to go with Dimmu Borgir, yeah I know they are kind of like the Dragonforce of Black Metal and they sell their t-shirts at the shopping malls:rolleyes: , there goes my black metal street cred lol, not that I had too much to begin with, or caring about such thing is worth anyone's time.

I tend to like the Troll/Goblin voices more then just plain screaming in a wanna-be satanic voice, this can be witnessed on some Epica songs. I also like the vocals this one female singer in a russian BM band called Gothic Sky does.

So I can only speak for myself, I don't hate the harsh vocals, I find myself being drawn more and more towards BM/Death, the key is that it has to be something worth noticing and unique among the crowd. In the end you either like the music or you don't, I don't tend to dismiss something just because it falls under some genere, if it clicks for me then I'll listen to it.
And that is fine, at least you are OPEN to it. Some are bashing this band because they think the vocals are harsh at times. While I do hear some death or black metal vocals, i would certainly NOT call them harsh. HELL I can point to a million black or death metal bands with real harsh vocals. I dig the contrast this band puts on:kickass:

VenomGA said:

Whats up with not being able to have an opinion different than yours?

You're right I dont listen to any of those genres. I cant stand growl vocals especially when the dominant songs like on these tracks I've heard. A few thrown in for an effect I dont mind, but when full verses are sung in that style Im turned off. Always have been always will.

I like melodic vocals, I come from the 80s Hair Metal, and Heavy AOR side. Sure I love Prog/Power Metal but as long as its very melodic with great vocals that dont agitate me when my stereo is cranked.

Sure sure I know, they label bands nowadays "Melodic Death Metal" and so on, and so on. IMO theres nothing melodic about someone screaming/growling into a mic.

Diff strokes for diff folks, and as I said Im all for them at the festival. Glenn has always been diversed and had a well balanced lineup. I actually prefer it like this.

So in the end you go to your Church, and I'll go to mine.

VenomGA said:
I think this thread shouldn't really devolve into a comparison of the differences in individual tastes. The thread should be focused on discussion of Raintime and their pending appearance at ProgPower.

Joe

was totally unfamiliar with, but an excellent band to my metal ears. to each their own on the growls... i prefer them.

now then, any chance of getting scar symmetry on...

VenomGA said:

You pretty much summed it up for me. I am not into death or black metal. Melodic power metal is what I listen to, with some prog mixed in for good measure. (For example, I really didn't like Zero Hour at PP VII). But I did like Evergrey. I guess different strokes for different folks.