ProgPower USA VIII: First Band confirmed

Harvester said:
My description of the entire disc (not just the samples):

The Black Symphony meets Bodom with a pinch of Eldritch/Evergrey thrown in.

Nugs... the fact that the keyboard riff is almost identicle to "Acid Rain" by Liquid Tension Experiment does not bring Dream Theater to mind?

Come oooon!
The Michael :)

I'm glad that nobody has said 'this band doesn't belong in the fest.' Not liking growls is cool. I didn't like them for a while. If they are used appropriately and add to the melody, that's cool. But I too love really good singers.

1. Raintime sounds promising and a great piece of the 2007 pie.

2. If you don't like harsh vocals, then please continue to do so. No big deal.
Go get a beer, take a dump, do whatever you gotta do, but step aside for
the countless PP attendess who DO enjoy harsh lyrics.

3. I like high energy bands in the #1 slots. These guys seem to fit that bill.

TwizstedJesus said:
I'm a little dissapointed. I just packed away about 200 cd's,and Raintime is in that box.Now I have to go dig it out and see what I didn't like about it,or if it was just another disc that slipped through the cracks.
Scary thing is,Pain of Salvation "One Hour..." was one of those discs that didn't hit me immediately.I hated it at first listen.A few months after I bought it,I remember digging it out for another spin...Middle of the night,on my boombox while I sorted through some shit I had stored under the bathroom sinks.I said to myself...hhmmm,this isn't half bad...listened again and again and next thing you know,POS is one of my 5 favorite bands.
I'll dig it out and give it a close listen.

I have done the same thing a zillion times...I usually buy like 3 to 5 CD's a week or on a bad month, every two weeks. I usually end up listening to one all the time while the others get shifted away and then months later I will put on one of those trying to see why I put it away after one listen and I usually end up loving that CD more than the one I was listening to first. Some bands and CD's take a few listens, which is good, there are bands that grab you right away but then after a few listens...you are done.

I don't see why people are getting upset with other peoples posts. If everyone liked the same thing, life would be VERY boring. This is about what people think of the band. I would really like these guys without the "death" style vocals. Its like finger nails on a chalkboard to me. The "death" vocals alone would keep me from buying their music (though I will be watching them on stage, it can be tolerable live when kept to a minnimum, just not on my cd player). It was a let down for me when I heard the clips, because I was excited with the e-mail that there was a band already announced. I have attended PPIV,V,VI,and VII, the crowd is extremely diverse at progpower.This is because Glenn and his staff do the best job of any show in the business!!!! I have no problem with mixing it up a bit. I think this band will be a great fit for Progpower, even though I do not like the harsh vocals. I only hope the death metal element will be kept to a small degree at this and future shows.
Cheers,
Troy

DrumRman said:
Whats up with not being able to have an opinion different than yours?

You're right I dont listen to any of those genres. I cant stand growl vocals especially when the dominant songs like on these tracks I've heard. A few thrown in for an effect I dont mind, but when full verses are sung in that style Im turned off. Always have been always will.

I like melodic vocals, I come from the 80s Hair Metal, and Heavy AOR side. Sure I love Prog/Power Metal but as long as its very melodic with great vocals that dont agitate me when my stereo is cranked.

Sure sure I know, they label bands nowadays "Melodic Death Metal" and so on, and so on. IMO theres nothing melodic about someone screaming/growling into a mic.

Diff strokes for diff folks, and as I said Im all for them at the festival. Glenn has always been diversed and had a well balanced lineup. I actually prefer it like this.

So in the end you go to your Church, and I'll go to mine.

I listen to things from 70's guitar rock, AOR, 80's haribands, 80's pop to power metal, melodic death, death and some black metal.
You are welcome to have an opinion different that mine, I don;t believe I ever stated otherwise. I am simply saying be open to new things and don;t let the fact there are some "harsh" vocals on there at times turn you off to this band.

All this talk about harsh vocals, I think I was a little harsh about Raintime in my previous post. I wasn't overly negative, but I didn't seem to be too enthusiastic either. Well I've changed my tune as the saying goes. The previous post was my first impression of the samples provided, at that time I had heard Mercenary while driving around all weekend.

Last night however, I asked my wife if she wanted to hear the 1st band announced to be playing Progpower next year, and that they are sort of like Mercenary a little bit. So I played the samples and I got into it this time for some reason. I guess it takes a few listens to get through this jaded thick skull of mine. I think Glenn was absolutely right and I can see myself listening to more and more to this song every chance I get as the week progresses.

As for the harsh vocals I think they are the best part of the song. This may sound like a 360 but it's not, I did like them when I initially heard them I just was not enthused by what I heard but the more I listen the more I appreciate it. Some bands songs are like that, I should have given it more time before posting and forming an opinion in the first place.

At this point I am excited at the oppertunity to be able to see them play, just one word of advice to Raintime, bring plenty of cool looking T-shirts.

I would definately advice those who are on the fence, or that aren't to fond of the harsh vocals to give it a few more listens. It probably helps to be dodging traffic in Atlanta while you listen too :p

There you go!! I love the harder edged vocals and agree it is a huge part of why I am loving this cd.

If you count the about of time the so called HARSH vocals are dominate you get maybe 45 sec, and these harsh elements only add to the appeal they have for me. What i really hear in this Band is ENERGY and TALENT, and if they are the opener on Friday then this will be like PYRAMAZE this year, they will set the bar for others to achieve. In their music i hear(and this is MY opinion) MERCENARY/PYRAMAZE/WUTHERIN HEIGHTS. In fact this will be the band i want to see the most.

Man...get over it...I can't stand harsh vox either...but I am digging this band!

I guess I can see the forest (even with those damn trees in the way)...

Rock on!

To me they just sound like another euro metal band with Stratovairus and Children of Bodom influences. Its okay but its not blowing me away at all...

Bear

I dug out the first RAINTIME CD, and folks we are in for a treat, and if the new one is as awesome as Glenn says then holy crap or as the Jawas say UTINNI!!!!!!!!

Really enjoyed the first album. Look forward to next.. blah blah blah.

One thing though? Do they have a lead guitarist now? In their first album it was stated that basically all of the solos were from a couple guest guitarists. Could make playing live odd if those guitarists aren't with them (especially since they have some awesome solos).

Heya...don't worry...
We've got a lead guitarist...Luca Michael Martina....
Cheers!!!

Cheiron said:
Really enjoyed the first album. Look forward to next.. blah blah blah.

One thing though? Do they have a lead guitarist now? In their first album it was stated that basically all of the solos were from a couple guest guitarists. Could make playing live odd if those guitarists aren't with them (especially since they have some awesome solos).

I think this band will slay at PP but i understand completely what DrumRman said. I'm not a huge fan of the growl either and when music is that good as is what i heard from Raintime so far it kinda makes me go "oh well shit" why did they put that in there,lol. But music is personal so i'm sure it's meant to prjoect a certain emotion of the lyrics at that certain moment. It's just not something i'm into. Most people dig Pantera, i can't stand them,lol. The music i dig until Phil Anslemo opens his mouth,lol. But i do understand why lots of people get "it". It's angry music but i'm just too mellow to enjoy angry music,lol. Oh well maybe i'm a pussy,lol. :)

I think there is a little too much over reaction about harsh/growling vocals. It enhances the songs and every song that has it is better for it, I think. I also think it's painting an inaccurate picture of the band, there is more to them then just harsh/growling vocals.

I can understand harsh/growling is not everyone's cup of tea, but in this case it's no different then a few growling parts in a Mercenary's "Hours that Remain" or an Epica song, and I don't think I've seen that much discussion about those bands in regard to it, yet all I see on the forums are comments about Raintime's harsh/growling vocals like they are the blackest black metal band from hell. Of course that could be a compliment too =)

I honestly think Claudio is a great vocalist, and to be able to pull off both clean and harsh so masterfully is a treat to listen too.