ProgPower USA XV Official Roster and videos

thank you for bringing up disperse...the music on their clip really interested me...I have to probably hit I tunes and get familiar with them more because from what I hear its as close to right up my alley for what I write as any band tha has played here

I found them on eMusic and queued the album up to grab as soon as my account refreshes. Even from the samples I've heard through eMusic, I am really liking what I am hearing.

Now, I need to find the Withem album(s), as that is the only other band that I have no clue as what they are like (although, again, I liked what I heard in the preview clip in the annoucement video).

Some Strato speculation: With Timo T out of the picture they start on time and don't bail on signing sessions. I think this will be a very different Stratovarius experience than last time.

That is the main reason I put in a sponsorship bid for them. It seemed, with Polaris, that band has gotten a breath of fresh air. They put out three very solid albums since Timo T. left and figured it was time for a return to PPU.

I didn't say they were headlining. They're playing the Wednesday show. I hope it goes well because their is a lot of dislike for PoS on this board. Seeing that building empty out is proof and that was 11 years ago when they were at their peak.

Actually, Pain Of Salvation is co-headlining Saturday night in addition to the Wednesday night show.
I really just feel the need to point out how pretentious you're coming across here. I can only hope you just don't see it, and that this isn't actually how you really intend to present yourself:

How can you possibly say that seeing a crowd disperse after Blind Guardian's set 11 years ago is any sort of reflection of the climate toward PoS on this forum? I've been going to PPUSA for the better part of a decade and I didn't sign up on this board until 2007.

Further, I haven't seen much dislike on this board for PoS. I have seen a lot of healthy spirited debate, and of course the one or two trolls *ahem* chiming in with their irrelevance, but I would hardly say that this is a hostile place for fans of PoS or for the band itself.

Lastly, while I dig Blind Guardian, I don't think that they are so great that Pain Of Salvation couldn't keep up. PoS is the better band by far and away for a multitude of reasons, in my opinion. It's a different group of people who get it. PoS is not a band with a million rabid, slavering fans who will follow along and buy everything they do simply because it's PoS. That's a power metal fad. Those of us who truly appreciate the intrinsic value of the group and their music, writing and performances are a smaller, closer-knit community. A smaller number of people at a performance is not necessarily indicative of a band's popularity, and the fact that they were at a high point in their career actually corroborates my point.

I'm sure you're a great person in a lot of ways, and I commend your interest in sharing your views in a public forum.
That being said, sometimes it's best to keep your thoughts to yourself. Nobody here, least of all Glenn and his hard-working compatriots, should have to be subject to your negativity, classlessness and lack of tact. :puke:

IN OTHER NEWS:
I can't believe I get to see Pain Of Salvation twice in one week. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY. :kickass::kickass::kickass:

I really just feel the need to point out how pretentious you're coming across here.

PoS is the better band by far and away for a multitude of reasons, in my opinion. It's a different group of people who get it. PoS is not a band with a million rabid, slavering fans who will follow along and buy everything they do simply because it's PoS. That's a power metal fad. Those of us who truly appreciate the intrinsic value of the group and their music, writing and performances are a smaller, closer-knit community.
Pretty sure you could've made your point without devolving into a pretentious statement on PoS fans being superior to Blind Guardian fans.

Now, I need to find the Withem album(s), as that is the only other band that I have no clue as what they are like (although, again, I liked what I heard in the preview clip in the annoucement video).

Not out yet, apparently..

They have a song on Youtube, Burned By Senses:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure you could've made your point without devolving into a pretentious statement on PoS fans being superior to Blind Guardian fans.

Yep. Blind Guardian is the premiere power metal band and has more than earned the fanbase they've established over the past 25 or so years. If that's a "fad," it's a helluva long lasting one.

Pretentious: adjective. Characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved

(I didn't get that vibe from anything I said. Perhaps "elitist" would have been more accurate, although certainly unintended)

Nowhere in my statement did I say that PoS fans were superior to Blind Guardian fans; I said that they were a smaller, close-knit community.

Nowhere in my statement did I say that Blind Guardian were a fad; I said that the act of mindless purchasing and and touting every single thing that a band does is a fad, and it happens to be a fad that is rampant in the power metal scene.

*shrug*

If either of the above statements are untrue, please posit proof.

Otherwise, if we're done splitting hairs and chewing the tender bits of each other's asses, I would hope that my point was not lost within my choice of vernacular. :rolleyes:

It's kinda negative up in here, so thank you to Riceloft and PromisedLand for posting those links to bands most of us are probably unfamiliar with!

Hahahaha I love this board. I get called pretentious for not liking a band and then that person who cracks on me gets accused of pretentiousness. Sometimes on here people just react without fully reading anything. I gotta agree with those above though, your post was much more pretentious or actually more snobbish than anything I said. In addition, I may be a dick, and I'm good with that, I don't care what anyone thinks of me, that's me in real life. Your upstairs roommate this year must be okay with me for the most part though, we've been friends for 10 years and always stay together at PP.

Now saying I hoped Strato cancels could have been said better, it's just my opinion in possibly the last year, and if not it's still the 15th anniversary, I think the fest deserves a better headliner. That's my opinion, Glenn obviously and others disagree. But it won't stop me from going, not only do I go every year, but it is gold badge money I spend. Just as if I don't like the way a sports team plays, or whatnot, if I spend my money then I can open my mouth if I'm not happy with them, and if I don't like a band then I can do it here. Now if Glenn tells me that I don't have that right then I will shut the hell up, because this is his board, so what he says goes no matter what I think. The rest of you, not so much.

As far as PoS, I don't think you've been here long enough over the years to realize how much crap, particularly Daniel has taken. And as I express my opinion about a band, MANY have expressed their dislike for them here (which I think is their right). I don't think there's any band on the other side of the power metal fence as polarizing as PoS. That's how I see it. In the prog metal genre there's probably not many bands who can headline the fest, but PoS should be one of them. I don't think Glenn would have them headline again because he saw what happened at PPIII, and if I remember right, they played next to last at PPV. That may be due to who headlined that night (I don't remember), but Glenn is a sharp guy remembering what happened in the past. You'd have to ask him this of course, I'm only speculating. Even Fates Warning who is by far the best and most talented band to headline the fest didn't sell it out (probably partial economy), but I think also power metal people stayed away that year.

Now I don't really like Blind Guardian either, even though I have paid to see them locally to support the scene (again putting my money where my mouth is). They would be a much better choice to headline. Those guys are the best in the genre, they've earned it. Sabaton I don't care for either, but again, a great choice to headline this year as they've also earned it. Stratovarius has been around a long time, but I just don't think they've earned it, due to not being very good at all. Again, this is the way I see it.

I may be a dick, and I'm good with that, I don't care what anyone thinks of me, that's me in real life. Your upstairs roommate this year must be okay with me for the most part though, we've been friends for 10 years and always stay together at PP

With respect, my dear, I never said you were a dick. That's all you doing the talking there, and I have no opinion whatsoever on whether or not you're a dick. As a matter of fact, I said that I thought you were probably a nice person. As for your roommate; again, that has nothing to do with what I said. :)

I don't think Glenn would have them headline again because he saw what happened at PPIII

Oh aye? Well, unless you don't count the co-headliner as a headliner, Glenn is having them headline again. Check the roster.

I don't think you've been here long enough over the years to realize how much crap, particularly Daniel has taken.

You may be right here, and I do know how polarizing PoS is, not just to the power metal side, but to pretty much every other aspect as well. And I am fully aware of the shitstorm generated by Daniel and the feedback on the various other forums where I spent most of my time, like PM/PMrising.

Listen, I'm not trying to bring the mood down over here, so I will bow out of this particular discussion, but I will say that I still think you could use a little more tact in the things you say. That was my main point. Whatever differing opinions we may have on this band or that band aren't really relevant to the initial reason for my post, although I did think that clarification was needed in terms of your very generalized statement about the attitude of the PP board toward PoS having anything to do with the number of people in the audience 11 years ago. That's pretty much it.

Cheerio!

Stratovarius has been around a long time, but I just don't think they've earned it, due to not being very good at all. Again, this is the way I see it.

Well, I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I personally think Stratovarius is very good and much deserving of the headlining spot they got.

If anything I just want to see the building mostly full at the end of the night, even if I don't like the band. To me that's a sign of someone who's gonna bring the house down. I didn't witness that with them the last time, and I watched their whole set. Maybe it was too late, maybe it was that AWFUL 10-15 minute video they had (AngrA was also guilty of this). Quite honestly after that video I was surprised anyone stuck around. Maybe my perception was off. But I think I pretty much know a good live band even when I can't stand them and they weren't it. Maybe I was disappointed that one of the Timo's didn't piss on the other one. lol I do hope those who watch them this year get a good show.

And just to put the PoS thing to bed, I don't consider co-headlining to be truly headlining. Headlining is the last band. JoP is the headliner plain and simple. Period.