Roy says hello to the doubters...

All I can remember is attending a Kamelot gig in Cleveland (I live in Raleigh, NC) and standing in a line for a very long time to get in. My dedication paid dividends because I was able to be right up front center stage. This was after the release of The Black Halo. Kamelot and Roy delivered an incredible show. I was head banging and singing my ass off (the next day my neck hurt like hell and I couldn't speak a word). In addition to his incredible voice, Roy had such a dramatic stage presence. I was totally drenched in sweat, totally exhausted, and emotional drained when the show was over.:headbang: So, I thank Roy for that incredible experience, and many other shows and hours of enjoyment.

I really thought that Kamelot was done when Roy left the band, but Tommy, Thomas, Casey, and the entire band proved me wrong - sometimes it is great to be wrong! I am very much looking forward to their show in Atlanta at the end of September.

While Roy's departure was a HUGE disappointment for the fans and badly timed for the festival in particular, I do wish him the best in finding whatever he is looking for.

Was it Roy's sweat, that would have made it totally worth it. And were you close enough to tell if the tattoo shirt was real tats or fake ones?
Khan killed me on that band, same reason I don't like Conception just can't stand those vocals.

Was it Roy's sweat, that would have made it totally worth it. And were you close enough to tell if the tattoo shirt was real tats or fake ones?
Khan killed me on that band, same reason I don't like Conception just can't stand those vocals.

It was my sweat. I don't remember the fake tattoos and don't give shit either way.

I don't think that Khan's choice to leave Kamelot was based on any dissatisfaction with the band's music. I think he was really burned out on the lifestyle of a continuously recording and touring metal singer. It takes a very specific type of person to put up with the rigors of such a lifestyle. Based on Khan's vocal performance in his last two years with Kamelot, it's pretty safe to say that he had enough.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I think you hit the nail on the head. Roy was singing metal for over 20 years when he quit Kamelot. IMO, there was really nothing left for him to accomplish musically in that genre. Kamelot's touring schedule is brutal. That said, he wasn't at all professional in deciding when to leave the band.

In the end, Kamelot has a fabulous, hungry replacement signer who is very capable of filling Roy's shoes and Roy is living the lifestyle and singing the music he wants to at this point in his life. It's all worked out.

As for that photo of Roy, I never would have recognized him in a million years. I think I can now lay to rest any hopes of Roy returning to the rock/metal scene. He's left quite a body of work for me to enjoy the rest of my life though.

As far as the religion thing goes, I hope he's happy. I have many albums and a cool DVD to relive his career, so no big deal. Totally a personal choice.

Now, for the tattoo thing, in this picture it's now obvious it's a shirt. Kinda funny.

I totally get where you're coming from. For the longest time I couldn't get into Kamelot because of those vocals. I liked the music, but eventually it grew on me. I do think Tommy is a much better singer though.

Couldn't care less about sleeve tats or whatever. Or what he's doing now, really, unless it's him singing again. He's one of my all-time favorite singers, and a voice like that going unused would be a cruel waste. Maybe someday he'll get the bug to come back again, you never know. Remember that time when Matt Barlow said he was leaving heavy metal behind for good?

Well said, and exactly how I feel. I saw him live a few times, and he was awesome. The first time was easily one of the best performances I've seen live. I've kind of lost interest in the band since he left, as I just haven't been that into the music after Black Halo. Doesn't take away some great releases from them that I continue to enjoy.

It's happened before. Guy Speranza left Riot and rock music altogether after he found Jesus. After he died, his daughter was quoted as saying she didn't even know that he was in a rock band, and that she found it hard to believe that he could have ever played rock music.
Learned something new today. Damn. Guy Speranza represents my favorite era of RIOT, didn't realize he quit the band and gave up rock/metal before he died.

It was obvious that the guy was devoted to his music and his fans, but he had some kind of life changing experience...one that overthrew his desire to keep going in that life. He made the hard decision, pissed a lot of people off, and made enemies of people who were his supporters and friends. All in the name of fighting to find his true purpose.

Good for him.

Except for the part where he screwed over his band/friends, AND his fans by quitting at the very beginning of a tour - thank goodness Mike Eriksen stepped in and saved their asses. I'm pretty sure that if he couldn't find it in himself to quit before he recorded the album and agreed to the tour, his One True Purpose could have waited six more months for him to fulfill his obligations.

I have no issue with Khan wanting out of the scene. If you don't find meaning in it, why bother? And I really enjoyed his albums with Kamelot, and his voice was a big part of their appeal. He was also great the couple of times I saw them live.

That said, I'm glad he's out of the band. New guy has more power and a better range, and if they let him show off his own style next time around (and maybe don't make him wear Roy's old clothes), he'll probably shine even more.

And I still can't get into Conception. The two albums I have are boring, and even live I just didn't get the appeal.

Except for the part where he screwed over his band/friends, AND his fans by quitting at the very beginning of a tour - thank goodness Mike Eriksen stepped in and saved their asses. I'm pretty sure that if he couldn't find it in himself to quit before he recorded the album and agreed to the tour, his One True Purpose could have waited six more months for him to fulfill his obligations.

I experienced a breakthrough of a similar sort, and I know that waiting (for me a year) damn near killed me. I got up every day feeling like I was a fake, and went to bed filled with regret. When I finally acted on my tough decision I believe I literally saved my own life. Oh, and yeah it cost me. Dearly. I am still paying for that one decision today. But looking back I wish I had made it a lot sooner.

People do what he did because he reached a breaking point. You do not know what might have happened had he waited those extra six months. But I can easily guess.

And I still can't get into Conception. The two albums I have are boring, and even live I just didn't get the appeal.

edward-i-o.gif

I got up every day feeling like I was a fake,

There could have been a reason for that buddy, were you wearing your tattoos at the time of this revelation?
He wasn't the only one who thought this, I always thought the guy looked uncomfortable, like a square peg. There was something about him that just did not seem right. Sort of the same vibe I got from Metallica back in the 80s; just knew one day the wigs would come off to reveal their true selves.
Ok enough time spent on this goober.
Can't believe we agree on a band Justin, especially a power metal band; I to think Conception is boring, painfully boring. Angra, Conception, Kamelot I just can't get into these bands and I have tried many times. Have albums by all thre and well....

I must admit that apart from two songs (Fairy's Dance and the title track), The Last Sunset really doesn't do it for me. Love the three other albums, though - I can't get enough Solar Serpent or Cardinal Sin.

Can't believe we agree on a band Justin, especially a power metal band; I to think Conception is boring, painfully boring. Angra, Conception, Kamelot I just can't get into these bands and I have tried many times. Have albums by all thre and well....

I know, that bothers me as well. Especially since you're so obviously wrong about Kamelot and Angra. :heh:

I'm liking the bald look.
Just guessing by the Virgin mary pic behind him, Catholic is the route he went. But I may be wrong, not a religioulogist.
Regarding the breakup/down, I thought I remember Thomas saying in an interview that he had known/talked about Khan leaving before. Just sayin, if that conversation took place, then leaving right before the tour was a jerko move no matter how you slice it. Integrity man, integrity.
When you wear the fake tat sleeves, isnt it obvi to anyone within like 5 feet?
Maybe he's subconscious about his super white arms.

When does the Hymn album come out?