Showcase 2008 Band Announcement

Actually, Tarja or Power Quest would be pretty cool for the showcase. But would Tarja's husband let her play the showcase? He might not feel it's high profile enough. *eyeroll*

Futhermore, it would also fly in the face of Universal's projected image of the "Classy Lady" for her to play ANY metal festival.

I think after the Vanden Plas debacle last year, for which Shane was not to blame for, I would be a bit snakebit if I were him. I would go for the safer route and go for one foreign band (Orphaned Land, Threshold, or even 3 Inches of Blood) with 3 up and coming US bands (KatV, Suspyre, Zandelle, Outworld). I can assure you that perople would gladly pay the $25 to see this. Hell, I know I would.

I would love it if either or both of Mind's Eye and Darkwater make it. Both groups released great last albums.

I think after the Vanden Plas debacle last year, for which Shane was not to blame for, I would be a bit snakebit if I were him. I would go for the safer route and go for one foreign band (Orphaned Land, Threshold, or even 3 Inches of Blood) with 3 up and coming US bands (KatV, Suspyre, Zandelle, Outworld). I can assure you that perople would gladly pay the $25 to see this. Hell, I know I would.

It's not the first time that bands have had immigration problems. Remember Wastefall? Not to mention the huge number of bands that have been denied entry into the US for no real reason before the Vanden Plas incident. I have no idea why people act as if this was the first time.

plane tickets for Orphaned Land just for a showcase would be ridiclous. 3IOB would be cool though :D.

It's not the first time that bands have had immigration problems. Remember Wastefall? Not to mention the huge number of bands that have been denied entry into the US for no real reason before the Vanden Plas incident. I have no idea why people act as if this was the first time.

plane tickets for Orphaned Land just for a showcase would be ridiclous. 3IOB would be cool though :D.

The difference was that Wastefall was caused by the Greek Government months before PPVII. The incident with VP was the day before the Showcase! Big difference.

The difference was that Wastefall was caused by the Greek Government months before PPVII. The incident with VP was the day before the Showcase! Big difference.

There are nine European bands planned for this year's fest, and what happened to Vanden Plas- and many other artists of other genres- could happen to any of them. If not exactly the same thing then another problem in the system could produce the same end result.
*Knocks on wood.*

A lineup can't be determined by what might happen with immigration. There is no reason not to book foreign bands for the showcase, other than that you've been plugging your version of the lineup since last year.

I feel like this is a pretty reasonable expectation. (And like you said, a few less headaches for Shane ... hopefully.) I know we all have our wishlists, but when I'm giving real suggestions, I at least try to be a little more understanding of the promoter's budget and other circumstances.

Mago de Oz (Some may say their not headliner caliber - or they'd get the Virgin Steele treatment for being too cheesy - but I'd als be happy with Orphaned Land, Brainstorm, or Threshold :D )
Cellador
Division
Vainglory
:headbang:

It'll take a long time to recover from the Vanden Plas disappointment. They were one of my top 3 to see last year. I'd love to see them back in any way, shape or form. :(

So what? That doesn't change the fact that Primal Fear is bigger than Pagan's Mind. Is Pagan's Mind gaining popularity? Yup. Are they headlining German fests an opening for Halford in the US? No, not yet.

The ONLY place that matters on "what band is bigger" is in Glenn's mind--he will put up a band that he thinks is biggest for us the fans as a whole.

Primal Fear might be bigger than EG or SymphX or After Forever or Epica in the European music scene, but there is no way they are bigger HERE.

Witness this year's show. They did not headline.

I witnessed both bands and PRIMAL FEAR could easily headline Progpower. Both were great, of course. There's no argument because both bands were incredible, but PF has everything right now to headline. The perfect amount of catalog, talent, and publicity. PM just needs a bit more catalog and a bit more publicity. God knows they've got the talent.

I witnessed both bands and PRIMAL FEAR could easily headline Progpower. Both were great, of course. There's no argument because both bands were incredible, but PF has everything right now to headline. The perfect amount of catalog, talent, and publicity. PM just needs a bit more catalog and a bit more publicity. God knows they've got the talent.

LOL.

If you look here http://progpowerusa.com/site/history/, you will see where their "headlining ability" stands.

Pagans has been here twice (three times if you count Jorn), and has built up a PP fan base over the last few years. They SLAYED in 2007.

I liked Primal Fear, but I am not a professional promoter. Neither are you. And that is my point.

The only difference between you and I is I get the impression that you think you know enough to tell Glenn how to run his business.

What I can say is this: Primal Fear as the Headliner of either the pre-party or the main show means I get to go back to the hotel and drink early that night. Pagans is the headliner, I don't get to drink at all because I will have my arms draped around the rail right when they let us GB holders into the show.

LOL.

If you look here http://progpowerusa.com/site/history/, you will see where their "headlining ability" stands.

Pagans has been here twice (three times if you count Jorn), and has built up a PP fan base over the last few years. They SLAYED in 2007.

I liked Primal Fear, but I am not a professional promoter. Neither are you. And that is my point.

The only difference between you and I is I get the impression that you think you know enough to tell Glenn how to run his business.

What I can say is this: Primal Fear as the Headliner of either the pre-party or the main show means I get to go back to the hotel and drink early that night. Pagans is the headliner, I don't get to drink at all because I will have my arms draped around the rail right when they let us GB holders into the show.

So wait...the number of times a band has been to ProgPower determines their headlining status? Are you saying that Zero Hour could headline over Iced Earth?

Primal Fear is a more well known name both here and in Europe. Nobody is saying that Pagan's Mind couldn't headline, but if PF and PM were playing the same show, PF would headline over PM.

Lol, Slayed. I still laugh when I see that word used.

Anyway, I feel exactly the same way as you when you reverse the bands. I abhor Pagan's Mind. I enjoy Primal Fear immensely. Does that mean BOTH bands should play simultainously the same night in the headlining spot?

Just because you like a band doesn't mean they should headline. Personally, I think in another 2-3 releases, PM will have the catalog to be a #1 here at PP, which is fine, I can take an early night. I'd prefer it, really. Most of the bands I jones for are in the lower slots anyway.