Some cool tunes from 2010

I think the people we are talking about originally who are just there to be seen is the types who dont buy CD's, go to shows and pretty much just get drunk and have no clue really who most of the bands are but are there because it is something to do and they are there with freinds. Or these are the same types to who are there to be band hanger-ons also. One looking to party afterwards or to be able to brag to thier freinds how they hung out with the band and stuff. I see this a lot at shows. I guess when you are younger it is something cool....but after decades of shows....it just isnt appealing to me. I cant also figure out the ones who get so drunk they are already passed out halfway through the show or dont even know where they are anymore.....it is like...why did you even leave your house...just get drunk at home and listen to a CD. It is much cheaper and safer for everyone.

Perfect example of the typical downloader....about 6 years ago when metal started to really get on the rise and more tours were happening Jasonic and I ran into this kid at a couple of shows. He was a fan of the music and was trying to always get a band started. He was always talking about his 20,000 songs on his hard drive that he downloaded. He had no clue on what songs were from which albums and also he hasnt even listened to over half of them. He just knew a few songs from whatever band he was going to see next. A few months later....vanished. Probably moved on to the next trend that came through. These types are the ones that bother me the most. Kind of just stopping by for a year and jumping to the next trend.

I am not saying that everyone should have complete knowledge of every band out there but the metal scene is one of the few genre's not played on mainstream radio so you kind of have to search it out. So if you are checking out bands you would think you would want to know a little bit about them...but that is just me. I think the younger fans have grown up on getting all thier info online and downloading so they really dont know what it was like having to get zines / go to stores / and look around for flyers for shows. Now they just go to myspace or different boards to find out this stuff. I have also noticed at shows these are the ones who are texting and on thier phone during the show. It drives me nuts to no end when you see people up front but texting the whole time. I see this more and more. People have almost become dependant on it. Instead of enjoying the show they are seeing they are to busy telling people they are at the show. Makes you wonder if the live experience will eventually just be something streamed online for people to watch and not be something you go to live anymore.

We can debate this till the end of the world but unfortunatly we are in quick changing times. With downloads to people supporting shows and bands. We can go into every little thing and analyze it to we are blue in the face, but in the end it is going to continue. I think one of the biggest things bands need to do is make stronger touring packages. The folk metal and thrash bands are doing this. This is where the power metal acts fail huge. You get a band like Edguy....touring with 4 metalcore or bands that dont fit your fanbase isnt getting more people to the show. You are turning people who are on the fence who want to see you but with a lousy line up why bother. With more tours coming through it gets easier to skip shows now.

But back to the subject at hand. We know there are people who download and then buy. There are people who just download because they cannot afford CD's. There are people who just buy CD's. I think the more and more we bow down to the digital age we are going to see less and less physical media. I work in broadcast and I already see it with the media we work with. People dont want hard tapes or bother with storing things anymore. Look at stuff like netflix and ondemand on cable. You can call up whatever at the touch of a button. How soon till a record label does something like this. You pay a monthly fee for unlimited axcess to thier library or parts of it.
Should be interesting. But as a buyer of CD's. The writting is on the wall. It is a dead medium and I think before the end of this decade they will be gone or pressed in smaller quantities.

That's great, it's the same for me. But in no way does that make us "better" fans of music. All the shopping and collecting and packaging has nothing to do with connecting to the music. Are stamp-collectors lovers of the written word contained on the letters sent with those stamps? Are collectors of porcelain frogs experts on frog ecology? No, they're just dorks with weird obsessions.

Neil

i was n't saying i was better, i just had seen some posts about people saying that people on the board are more concerned with "collecting" as a thing to do rather than a love for music. which i thought was silly, so i made a retort. i mean it would be a pretty expensive habit to just go out and buy CDs to put on my wall. i would be better off collecting something that could at least appreciate in value over time. hahaha.

Lots of interesting things here. Too many to go back and quote.

Diabolik - I know EXACTLY who you are talking about, and he is a perfect example.

Neil - I don't think discussing music on a forum is exactly the "social" aspect we are talking about. Discussing music on a forum has nothing to do with whether or not you purchase music, versus being a casual listener who goes to shows.

As I said before, people who only download and go to shows are still supporting, by hopefully spreading the word about bands, even if they themselves don't purchase the music.

I seriously believe that the future will be bands offering their music for free. Many bands are going this route. Granted, you have to be stable enough to be able to self record with GOOD production, and not just on a crappy 4 track you purchased at a garage sale! Love em or hate em, but I think both NIN and the Smashing Pumpkins are very smart in shying away from physical product. Once again, this formula may not prove as successful for younger bands, but maybe it will. There are still a lot of interesting things you could do with the digital format, if you are creative.

I have also noticed at shows these are the ones who are texting and on thier phone during the show. It drives me nuts to no end when you see people up front but texting the whole time. I see this more and more. People have almost become dependant on it. Instead of enjoying the show they are seeing they are to busy telling people they are at the show.

Absolutely one of my biggest pet peeves. Then again, I just hate texting in general, but I find it very disrespectful to be doing this when the band is performing, especially if you are close to the front. I think this is why some of these bands (not many) are now trying to make a rule where you can't have your phone on except if you're in the lobby. I see this to happen much more in the future.

Absolutely one of my biggest pet peeves. Then again, I just hate texting in general, but I find it very disrespectful to be doing this when the band is performing, especially if you are close to the front. I think this is why some of these bands (not many) are now trying to make a rule where you can't have your phone on except if you're in the lobby. I see this to happen much more in the future.

Well being the prick that i am on stage i actually have taken a few kids phones because they were texting upfront where i could see it and in the middle of our song. so i took their phones and put them on the drum riser until the end of the show.

and when they get mad i am sure to tell them, that is what you get for texting at a KWD show isn't?

it works well both ways, a) the kids respect me more and b) the fans around them go apeshit when i give my speech about respect and things like that. so it's a win win.

i am never afraid to embarrass or lose fans because of stupid shit like that at shows. i find that we gain far more respect being outspoken and doing what we want. more bands should try it.

Well being the prick that i am on stage i actually have taken a few kids phones because they were texting upfront where i could see it and in the middle of our song. so i took their phones and put them on the drum riser until the end of the show.

and when they get mad i am sure to tell them, that is what you get for texting at a KWD show isn't?

it works well both ways, a) the kids respect me more and b) the fans around them go apeshit when i give my speech about respect and things like that. so it's a win win.

i am never afraid to embarrass or lose fans because of stupid shit like that at shows. i find that we gain far more respect being outspoken and doing what we want. more bands should try it.

THANK you for doing so. It's not just kids doing it, but it is the very essence of disrespect to not give the performers your full attention. WTF is wrong with audiences anyway? It's not ADD. There's something about implied entitlement that just sickens me.

I think texting goes along with exactly what we are all talking about.

Kids of today want INSTANT gratification.
They want it, and want it now.
Certainly technology has almost everything to do with this.
It's a blessing and a curse.

I think it's going to impact everything from materialism to relationships. I know I am getting a bit off topic here, but it is relative to the subject at hand.

Didnt realize you were in a band.

is it smart to make the 10 people there angry?

Which one are you Matt, the guy in the middle???

Killwhitneydead+kwd.jpg

it came from the phrase you speak of, but i changed it to be funny. some people still read it as Kill Whitey Dead (despite there being no spacing in our name on purpose), but hey a person will read something however their brain chooses to read it i guess.

that pic isn't current, but it's the most current. it was taken at the end of one of our tours so we are a little ragged (too bad its not a scratch n sniff), but i was wearing Loudness in the picture so it's the one i still use. plus we don't get together to take promos very often because i am not into all that stuff.

Ah, you and your kids. You are link a grade school teacher. HAHA But hey thanks Matt for teaching a new generation.

Yes, but i prefer this picture because that other one is old and i am fat now (well, once again.)

Popular conscious was that you were a prick before you got chubby again. You seem more natural now brotha.
Notice the difference in the pictures how in the earlier one you were more on a focus level with the band and in the most recent you are more the center of attention. Just an observation Gwen, no doubt there was reason for this I'm guessing. HAHA
I actually do understand why.

It is interesting how people here usually know absolutely nothing about each other or even pay attention.
In the case Matt has made reference to his Matt on several occasions. Not thay KWD is anything to remember;)

I think Bob was being VERY sarcastic in his statement :)

I think even my mom knows Matt is in a band.