Symphony X for ProgPower VIII

do you want Symphony X to return next year?

• hell yes!

Votes: 120 78.9%
  • hell no!

Votes: 32 21.1%

• Total voters
I really want to see these guys, they're the reason I went to Gigantour last year, and after standing in the Floridian rain for a full 2 hours waiting for them to come on, they told us it was too dangerous to turn on the electronics on the second stage. :( What pissed people off the most was the fact that while Symphony X were standing on stage without power, The Dillenger Escape Plan was wasting perfectly good electricity and oxygen on the main stage.

Braxil said:
I really want to see these guys, they're the reason I went to Gigantour last year, and after standing in the Floridian rain for a full 2 hours waiting for them to come on, they told us it was too dangerous to turn on the electronics on the second stage. :( What pissed people off the most was the fact that while Symphony X were standing on stage without power, The Dillenger Escape Plan was wasting perfectly good electricity and oxygen on the main stage.

yea,I went to Gigantour to see them too,but as you may know,they missed the Atlanta show! it sucked ass.lol.

If SX plays a well thought out set consisting of Paradise Lost material as well as untouched material from the first 4 albums, then SX is a no-brainer. Also, if SX does play next year, it might be time for them to consider doing the whole "special show" type thing. Something like that is beyond overdue.

If SX decides to play Paradise Lost material along with virtually the same setlist they've toured the past few years, then no thank you. I'd just rather catch them on a Chicago date rather than use a headlining PP slot for the same predictable set.

rockyracoon said:
If SX plays a well thought out set consisting of Paradise Lost material as well as untouched material from the first 4 albums, then SX is a no-brainer. Also, if SX does play next year, it might be time for them to consider doing the whole "special show" type thing. Something like that is beyond overdue.

If SX decides to play Paradise Lost material along with virtually the same setlist they've toured the past few years, then no thank you. I'd just rather catch them on a Chicago date rather than use a headlining PP slot for the same predictable set.

This is an excellent point. Although, I can't really imagine what they'd do to make something special...choir + SX is eh...string quartet is very very likely not gonna happen.

I guess this is always a point of contention, people who've seen the band before don't want the same thing again, and those who've never seen them don't want to miss out on the classics. Given the number of times they've played PP I guess I'm in the minority that hasn't seen them, and I guess the needs of the many should outweigh the needs of the few if they end up playing.

rockyracoon said:
I'd just rather catch them on a Chicago date rather than use a headlining PP slot for the same predictable set.

You're lucky that you have that option, many of us don't. Chicago, New York and Virginia fans are SO damn spoiled because EVERY tour, no matter how small plays there. Fans in the south get screwed on tours all the time.

I'm all for seeing Symphony X at ProgPower again, especially since there will be new material involved. I saw them at PPIV (my first ProgPower), and thought they were fantastic - especially when they encored with The Odyssey in its entirity!

If you want something special here's an idea - Symphony X for PPVIII AND Russell Allen/Jorn Lande for the pre-party!!!

Ya know i've never even heard Symphony X and people talk about them like they are The kings of rocknroll. I have the Allen/Lande album but in my opinon Jorn makes that album, russell allens vocals on it do nothing for me. Are they really as good as people make them out to be?

livingwithwolves said:
Ya know i've never even heard Symphony X and people talk about them like they are The kings of rocknroll. I have the Allen/Lande album but in my opinon Jorn makes that album, russell allens vocals on it do nothing for me. Are they really as good as people make them out to be?

No, they're better.

As I put in a different thread. I think they'd make an awesome choice for headlining the Pre-party show. I know it might be a step up in cost, but if its downstairs again, I could see it happening.

livingwithwolves said:

need you ask? hell yes

I don't really like the absolutes on this one...I wouldn't exactly say, "Hell yes!" but there's no way I'd say, "Hell no!" Chalk me up for somewhere in between.