Votes: 17 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

#1draftpick

valhalla
Sep 24, 2006
I have gained great entertainment from the Finnish band LORDI...and their EUROVISION conquest. I know it is probably highly unllikely that they would play at ProgPower, but they seem like they would be highly entertianing and do not regularly tour "The States" to my knowledge. Personally, I think they would be a great addition to any concert, specifically ProgPower. LORDI's music is very much 80's style Rock N Roll but the band and their songs are very entertaining and I think it would be a treat to see them live. So, I am curious what the opinion of the consesus is. LORDI for ProgPower?

No, I don't think they are prog/power or even metal. They are more hard rock, and entertaining as hell, but not in line with this festival, imo.

NO

So funny nobody gave 2 shits for this band until they won Eurovision.

Now all of a sudden alot of people are Lordi bandwagon jumpers. Lame gimmick, lame songs IMO.

Buncha Gwar and Kiss wannabes.

Well, people like entertainment, wether or not the music is crap or not. :)

It would be a comedy to see them, but I'm sure I'll have fun. I wouldn't vote for them for that reason though. :)

Lordi is awesome. Have the naysayers even listen to Arockopalypse? I must admit their first 2 CDs didn't get my full attention. "Would you love a monster man" was catchy somewhat but it wasn't till Arockopalypse that I really took a liking to Lordi. Saying Lordi is Hard Rock and can't play is a big double standard. It's subjective and in the european countries bands like Helloween and Edguy are considered Hard Rock and not metal. I'd go see Lordi if they came to the states regardless if they played PPUSA or not. We already had a thread a while back and most people that replied seemed positive about them.

How can anyone not like an act where the singer has a battleaxe for a microphone? I wouldn't treat them like Dragonforce just yet.

Lordi is awesome. Have the naysayers even listen to Arockopalypse? I must admit their first 2 CDs didn't get my full attention. "Would you love a monster man" was catchy somewhat but it wasn't till Arockopalypse that I really took a liking to Lordi. Saying Lordi is Hard Rock and can't play is a big double standard. It's subjective and in the european countries bands like Helloween and Edguy are considered Hard Rock and not metal. I'd go see Lordi if they came to the states regardless if they played PPUSA or not. We already had a thread a while back and most people that replied seemed positive about them.

How can anyone not like an act where the singer has a battleaxe for a microphone? I wouldn't treat them like Dragonforce just yet.

...Who doesn't consider Helloween metal, exactly?

...Who doesn't consider Helloween metal, exactly?

Who does consider them metal besides yourself? I can't prove it any better then you can prove my question. There is no documented proof. It's subjective. I was chatting with someone from Germany and mentioned some bands and they told me Helloween is Hard Rock. I consider them metal but I'm sure it's different in their home countries or other european countries. Hammerfall is on children's TV shows, Statavarious, Twighlightning, Edguy. I think they equate metal over there to Black/Death metal. But again it's all subjective.

How do you label a band, and why would you? Who cares really as long as you like the music if they are hard rock, true metal, black metal, power metal, prog metal. It can get quite silly. I prefer to just call it good music.

Well it's sort of like, Lordi writes a song called "Hard Rock Hallelujah", and Helloween write a song called "Heavy Metal is the Law"...aren't we sort of just suppoposed to put two and two together? And if you don't want to label bands, why did you call Helloween hard rock in the first place? :confused:

Well it's sort of like, Lordi writes a song called "Hard Rock Hallelujah", and Helloween write a song called "Heavy Metal is the Law"...aren't we sort of just suppoposed to put two and two together? And if you don't want to label bands, why did you call Helloween hard rock in the first place? :confused:

I didn't call Helloween hard rock, I would call Helloween metal. I've heard others think of them as hard rock. The point is saying a band can't play because someone thinks they are too soft or too hard would disqualify most bands, because they don't fit someones template of what power or prog metal is. Heavy Metal is the law was written in the 80's heavy metal/hard rock where pretty much one in the same if you consider 80's hair metal/glam,etc. Hard Rock Hallelujah was written recently and in Finland from what I've read/heard seen in documentaries they probably don't consider them metal unless they are growling and have black and white face paint. Heavy Metal is probably not so special, or who knows, I'm not an expert on their trends. All I'm saying is I haven't heard a good reason why they shouldn't play the festival, and why they would not be considered heavy metal?

I didn't call Helloween hard rock, I would call Helloween metal. I've heard others think of them as hard rock. The point is saying a band can't play because someone thinks they are too soft or too hard would disqualify most bands, because they don't fit someones template of what power or prog metal is. Heavy Metal is the law was written in the 80's heavy metal/hard rock where pretty much one in the same if you consider 80's hair metal/glam,etc. Hard Rock Hallelujah was written recently and in Finland from what I've read/heard seen in documentaries they probably don't consider them metal unless they are growling and have black and white face paint. Heavy Metal is probably not so special, or who knows, I'm not an expert on their trends. All I'm saying is I haven't heard a good reason why they shouldn't play the festival, and why they would not be considered heavy metal?

Well I agree with that, the best reason I can come up with is "I don't like them", and that's not a great one. Hmm, I have faith we'll agree on a topic of some kind, someday. :lol:

Now all of a sudden alot of people are Lordi bandwagon jumpers. Lame gimmick, lame songs IMO.

How, exactly, would you label those of us who do enjoy Lordi now that we've been exposed to them through Eurovision? Word of Mouth isn't the only publicity bands can ever recieve. Sometimes, something like this is needed. You can't discount fans of a band simply because of where they first heard about them.

Well I agree with that, the best reason I can come up with is "I don't like them", and that's not a great one. Hmm, I have faith we'll agree on a topic of some kind, someday. :lol:

I think we've agreed on things before, we like most of the same bands. I like some of Lordi's songs since they are melodic and catchy. If others don't thats fine as well. I'm not trying to preach, or impose my way of thinking. Just stating my opinion and sticking up for a band I would consider it a privellage to see play in the USA period, all things considered. Eurovision has nothing to do with the band being good or not, I think if any other band knew they would win it for sure they would probably enter it as well, Lordi took a chance and won, that's gotta be worth something. Maybe they are a joke band, and if they lost it would have been a big joke anyway, still I'd take a joke band from Finland over what passes for mainstream heavy metal in our country anyday.

Hard Rock Hallelujah was written recently and in Finland from what I've read/heard seen in documentaries they probably don't consider them metal unless they are growling and have black and white face paint.Heavy Metal is probably not so special, or who knows, I'm not an expert on their trends. All I'm saying is I haven't heard a good reason why they shouldn't play the festival, and why they would not be considered heavy metal?
Way off base there. :loco: You need more exposure to the metal culture than a few documentaries.
All of these bands are considered Finnish Metal bands and none fit the painted growler category:
Thunderstone
Sonata Actica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Tarot
Kiuas
Amorphis
Machine Men
Charon.......hell, I could go on forever.

But for a great place to learn more about Finnish metal you should visit this site. Excellent place to learn more and discover new bands.

But as for Lordi, no matter what genre you want to put them in, I just don't see them as fitting the ProgPower formula. But then, that's just my opinion. :cool: Which is what the thread starter asked for
#1draftpick said:
So, I am curious what the opinion of the consesus is. LORDI for ProgPower?

NO

Buncha Gwar and Kiss wannabes.

Excuse me, but you need to find out the facts before jumping into conclusions.
1. Lordi did sell platinum with their first CD "Get Heavy" in Finland back in 2002 already.
2. They played at big rock/metal festivals in Europe every summer before hitting the commercial goldmine in the Eurovision song Contest this year.
3. Mr Lordi himself used to be the president of the Finnish Kiss fan-club about 15 years ago
4. Nobody in Europe except maybe some occasional hardcore metal fan has ever heard of Gwar. I could go and ask a 100 metalheads in a metal festival about Gwar and get 95 "Geewar... who? - sounds like a f***ing rapper to me"-answers.

Who does consider them metal besides yourself? I can't prove it any better then you can prove my question. There is no documented proof. It's subjective.
--------------
I think they equate metal over there to Black/Death metal. But again it's all subjective.

How do you label a band, and why would you? Who cares really as long as you like the music if they are hard rock, true metal, black metal, power metal, prog metal. It can get quite silly. I prefer to just call it good music.

^^ So very true. Labelling music into genres and sub-genres is another, very locally binded thing to cope with. All describing terms and labels in use are very much non-standard. If I start discussing music and style with two persons, one from central Europe and one from North America, I must be aware all the time that I, and both of them may mean a total different things when we use words like metal, hard, core, doom, black, power whatever. I may become misunderstood even without realiszing it, due to our different cultural backgrounds.
For example, most people in Finland talk about metal and hard rock using one word "hevi" (=orig: heavy). It's an umbrella that falls over almost everything from 80's hair metal to the latest gothmetal and hard rock. Even we got loads of bands playing metal and you can hear metal almost everywhere, the word metal is not used by ordinary people who are not "into metal" - i.e. metal fans. Commonly when talking about that kind of music, I must use the word "hevi" to make myself better understood.

This is a global world but remember, that local surroundings influence each and everyone of us on how we experience the world. Not to speak about our personal tastes and opinions...

On the topic, Lordi may be of a good entertainment value and they are definitely a good party band, but they may have less musical value than (most) "real" prog/power bands that have played at PP. (And yes, I saw them live once back in 2004 - didn't have to jump the Eurovision hoolabaloo bandwagon :zombie: )

How, exactly, would you label those of us who do enjoy Lordi now that we've been exposed to them through Eurovision? Word of Mouth isn't the only publicity bands can ever recieve. Sometimes, something like this is needed. You can't discount fans of a band simply because of where they first heard about them.

I said "alot" not "all". Im sure SOME like yourself genuinely like them after the publicity. You're telling me people dont jump on a bandwagon once bands become well known?

Yeah Im sure all the kids buyin Dragonforce t-shirts at Hot Topic are just such diehard Power Metal fans. :rolleyes:

Way off base there. :loco: You need more exposure to the metal culture than a few documentaries.
All of these bands are considered Finnish Metal bands and none fit the painted growler category:
Thunderstone
Sonata Actica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Tarot
Kiuas
Amorphis
Machine Men

But for a great place to learn more about Finnish metal you should visit this site. Excellent place to learn more and discover new bands.

But as for Lordi, no matter what genre you want to put them in, I just don't see them as fitting the ProgPower formula. But then, that's just my opinion. :cool: Which is what the thread starter asked for

Could go on forver haha. YEAP! Finland has become a great place for the Metal scene. No mention of TWILIGHTNING? Shame on you! ;)

You're telling me people dont jump on a bandwagon once bands become well known?

No, I'm not saying that. There is no doubt there are people who fit this description, but I can't help but feel lumped in to this kind of group when it's brought up on a board such as this one.

I feel for the Dragonforce fans before the Scene kids got a good hawt wiff of them. It's a royal shame that, for example, someone like myself couldn't wear a dragonforce shirt at this point without having people heavily critisize me and talk shit about me behind my back. And I'm guilty of doing it too.

Ah well, to live is to be labled.

Thunderstone
Sonata Actica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Tarot
Kiuas
Amorphis
Machine Men

First, I was saying I have come to my viewpoint from many things, not just watching documentaries, just that even the documentaries paint a glimpse of the culture which is focused on heavier bands when talking about metal. Please don't assume about me or what I know or do not, I am not claiming to be metal god here, or trying to challenge anyone who thinks they are.

Secondly, you are proving the point that labels on bands are silly, the bands you mention like Nightwish are Gothic Metal, Stratovarius are Speed Metal. They have a different flavor then pure 80's Metal or the original Heavy Metal. What is so different about Lordi and his antics that he is strictly hard rock? I think if anything would warrant labeling as Hard Rock it would be AOR, and most want to see those AOR bands at PPUSA.

Twilightning can be argued that they are an Edguy clone and Hard Rock.

I'm all for good discussion but please don't misconstrue me or assume things, just to prove your way of thinking. If you don't like Lordi, that is more then fine. Just say so, don't accuse them of being unfit for this festival just because you don't like them or at the very least list some facts about why they are not fit for progpower. Just saying most people here don't like them is fine, the poll speaks for itself.