The oddest of the odd ball slot suggestions

Dol Ammad are hard to listen to imo. I have to sit down and tell myself I'm going to try to pay attention to what's going on, even then I tend to space out. no pun intended.

I don't think most people understand what is meant by "oddball", as it relates to ProgPower...

Oddball:
adjective
Pronunciation: ˈäd-ˌbȯl
: a method for disguising a band that utilizes a harsh vocal as somehow being progressive, without pissing off Prog Metal purist.
Example: This year's oddball band will be Mercenary (Into Eternity, Raintime, etc.).

Zod

That sounds about right. :loco:

I don't think Lordi would ever be asked to play ProgPower. Also, they aren't very progressive. Amusing? Sure! But they get tiring after awhile. Every song sounds more or less the same, and the singer is a one-note wonder. I watched about three songs of their set for their tour with Lizzy Borden and Stolen Babies, before I gave up and left. Lizzy Borden, however, was pretty amazing.

I don't think most people understand what is meant by "oddball", as it relates to ProgPower...

Oddball:
adjective
: a method for disguising a band that utilizes a harsh vocal as somehow being progressive, without pissing off Prog Metal purist.
Example: This year's oddball band will be Mercenary (Into Eternity, Raintime, etc.).

Zod

Agalloch would fit this pretty well IMO...

So when did a band have to be "progressive" to play prog-power? i can think of PLENTY of bands over the years that weren't progressive but rather just powerful metal and i would have to consider LORDI both powerful in sound and imagery. Yes, they are ripping off GWAR but they are both good at what they do.

I think people are on the right track with a band like Agalloch.
Not just saying this because I am a fan boy, but Novembers Doom too.
The whole dark metal genre spawns a lot more "progressive" music than prog metal.

Judas Priest playing a full theatrical version of Nostradamus. It would be odd if it came true.

btw: I thought Nostradamus was great! Maybe not as great as the guy who broke some sore of Guiness World record but it is a fine album.

Oddball:
adjective

Hmm, not always the case. I hazily recall that Glenn tagged PC69 as the "oddball" (or one of them) that particular year.

I think "oddball" in PPUSA's case means either a blackened-vocal band as you describe above, or a truly different avant-garde metal project like DSO, or a band that's actually lighter than the norm in prog- and power-metal.

Hmm, not always the case. I hazily recall that Glenn tagged PC69 as the "oddball" (or one of them) that particular year.
You are correct. My comment was intended mostly as a joke.

I think "oddball" in PPUSA's case means either a blackened-vocal band as you describe above...
Perhaps it's not important, but there's a different between Death Metal style vocals and Black Metal style vocals. ProgPower has never had the latter.

...or a truly different avant-garde metal project like DSO, or a band that's actually lighter than the norm in prog- and power-metal.
The wild card spot is probably the festival's only misstep. It's a great concept, but its usage has been lacking.

Zod