LORDI...ProgPower?

LORDI...at ProgPower?

• Yes

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, I'm not saying that. There is no doubt there are people who fit this description, but I can't help but feel lumped in to this kind of group when it's brought up on a board such as this one.

I feel for the Dragonforce fans before the Scene kids got a good hawt wiff of them. It's a royal shame that, for example, someone like myself couldn't wear a dragonforce shirt at this point without having people heavily critisize me and talk shit about me behind my back. And I'm guilty of doing it too.

Ah well, to live is to be labled.

Nah. I believe most people on THIS message board are here because they have a geniune love for this kinda music. :)

Entrerie : agreed about Twilightning in present state, but not there debut album Delerium Veil. IMO Edguy hasnt written ANY CD that can touch this one (Not even Hellfire Club, although close!)

First, I was saying I have come to my viewpoint from many things, not just watching documentaries, just that even the documentaries paint a glimpse of the culture which is focused on heavier bands when talking about metal. Please don't assume about me or what I know or do not, I am not claiming to be metal god here, or trying to challenge anyone who thinks they are.

Secondly, you are proving the point that labels on bands are silly, the bands you mention like Nightwish are Gothic Metal, Stratovarius are Speed Metal. They have a different flavor then pure 80's Metal or the original Heavy Metal. What is so different about Lordi and his antics that he is strictly hard rock? I think if anything would warrant labeling as Hard Rock it would be AOR, and most want to see those AOR bands at PPUSA.

Twilightning can be argued that they are an Edguy clone and Hard Rock.

I'm all for good discussion but please don't misconstrue me or assume things, just to prove your way of thinking. If you don't like Lordi, that is more then fine. Just say so, don't accuse them of being unfit for this festival just because you don't like them or at the very least list some facts about why they are not fit for progpower. Just saying most people here don't like them is fine, the poll speaks for itself.
Seems you are the one who is reading into things what is not there. Don't take it all so personal. I was merely responding to exactly what you said "in Finland from what I've read/heard seen in documentaries they probably don't consider them metal unless they are growling and have black and white face paint." And wanted to share a good source I have for info on ALL Finnish metal, including the subgenres you mentions. Nothing more.

Lordi lacks the basic elements to put them in any of the metal genres, imo. They are a hard-rock theatrical band without the complexity to appeal to the majority of ProgPower USA Fans. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :saint:

(BTW, Nightwish is NOT gothic metal, as any of the band will tell you. They prefer to be called Symphonic metal. ;) And yes, labels can be silly when they get too particular, but the general labels, i.e. Pop, Rock, Metal are usually accurate.)

They do not seem a natural fit for Progprower, especially since they are more about show than music. No one can dispute that. Take away the costumes, the music doesn't stand on it's own. It's only fun to listen to b/c they are cheesy monsters rocking out. But it is fun to listen to.

Though, booking them would *seem* to garner a lot of added attention, buzz, and publicity to the festival since the band is grabbing so many headlines overseas. Like them or not, and whether the overseas hysteria is merited or not... if Progpower VIII started Lordi's invasion of the US, it would hold that landmark/special appeal the festival strives for.

That said, I would personally not want to sacrifice watching the caliber of a Sonata Arctica, Scar Symmetry, Nocturnal Rites, Kamelot, etc in a headline/co-headline spot for this band. But I could go for #3 on Sunday or headline of the Showcase... I just don't think the band would.

Seems you are the one who is reading into things what is not there. Don't take it all so personal. I was merely responding to exactly what you said "in Finland from what I've read/heard seen in documentaries they probably don't consider them metal unless they are growling and have black and white face paint." And wanted to share a good source I have for info on ALL Finnish metal, including the subgenres you mentions. Nothing more.

Lordi lacks the basic elements to put them in any of the metal genres, imo. They are a hard-rock theatrical band without the complexity to appeal to the majority of ProgPower USA Fans. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :saint:

(BTW, Nightwish is NOT gothic metal, as any of the band will tell you. They prefer to be called Symphonic metal. ;) And yes, labels can be silly when they get too particular, but the general labels, i.e. Pop, Rock, Metal are usually accurate.)

Tomato, tamato.

How am I supposed to take it, if not personally. When you make googly eyes and imply I don't know what I'm talking about?

Lordi has played Wacken in the past, and it's a predominently Metal festival.

They do not seem a natural fit for Progprower, especially since they are more about show than music. No one can dispute that. Take away the costumes, the music doesn't stand on it's own. It's only fun to listen to b/c they are cheesy monsters rocking out. But it is fun to listen to.

Though, booking them would *seem* to garner a lot of added attention, buzz, and publicity to the festival since the band is grabbing so many headlines overseas. Like them or not, and whether the overseas hysteria is merited or not... if Progpower VIII started Lordi's invasion of the US, it would hold that landmark/special appeal the festival strives for.

That said, I would personally not want to sacrifice watching the caliber of a Sonata Arctica, Scar Symmetry, Nocturnal Rites, Kamelot, etc in a headline/co-headline spot for this band. But I could go for #3 on Sunday or headline of the Showcase... I just don't think the band would.

Isn't the whole point of going to a concert to see a good show and stage theatrics. I mean if you want perfect technically played music, you won't get any better then the CD played in your stereo in your own home.

All that aside, I think saying Lordi has no talent besides the make-up is preposterous.

Isn't the whole point of going to a concert to see a good show and stage theatrics. I mean if you want perfect technically played music, you won't get any better then the CD played in your stereo in your own home.

Huh? Yes, the quality that the music is played at is both the primary basis of a good live show and reason for attending a concert. For me and I think most folks. Fireworks, lights, and theatrics make a good show great, I'll take them any day as well, but it's not the be-all-end-all. That's my only point with Lordi, as I feel it is with them.

And there are LOTS of bands that sound better or as good live versus on CD... some even openly admit to it. KISS being the best example off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to attack you, but your statement is borderline pro-Milli Vanilli...

Huh? Yes, the quality that the music is played at is both the primary basis of a good live show and reason for attending a concert. For me and I think most folks. Fireworks, lights, and theatrics make a good show great, I'll take them any day as well, but it's not the be-all-end-all. That's my only point with Lordi, as I feel it is with them.

And there are LOTS of bands that sound better or as good live versus on CD... some even openly admit to it. KISS being the best example off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to attack you, but your statement is borderline pro-Milli Vanilli...

Yes, the show must have good quality music, but my statement was that no show will ever match the quality of a CD and expecting that level of performance from any band is a little bit too much. They still perform well and in costume no less.

Lordi is not Milli-Vanilli and are not just theatrics.

Have you listened to the Arockoplypse CD in full?

I'm trying to understand why such dislike for them? They are no more a novelty band then your typical black metal band in makeup. Honestly.

I'm not trying to start flame wars either, I can be as narrow minded as anyone else here on certain things. I just get the feeling from reading the thread that Lordi is getting bashed for no real reason other then their Eurovision infamy and the fact they wear costumes. I'm not saying all their songs and CDs are great, but the Arockalypse was definately a decent CD with some OK songs.

I agree with AMBR.. Not "Gothic" Metal :lol:
Symphonic Metal, yes. :)

OK, I will give you this one. Technically they are Symphonic Metal.

However this is what Wikipedia has to say.

"A softer genre known as symphonic metal had evolved in the mid- to late- 1990s from gothic metal bearing strong similarities to its predecessor, with bands led by female singers. During this time the divide between gothic metal and the new born symphonic metal became apparent; symphonic metal maintained a simpler approach, with more operatic and classical themes, while gothic metal incorporated more aggressive elements of death metal and black metal directly into the music, adding more technically complex melodies and rhythms into its music. Trail of Tears and Penumbra heading this last known progression in the music."

So I wasn't wrong either in a sense, just more of the same power metal, true metal, hollywood metal genere labeling bullshit.

Also Nightwish shows up on this list of Gothic Metal bands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gothic_metal_bands

It's really all subjective, like I was saying.

Wikipedia is edited by whoever wants to sign up. That statement is false alone by specifically mentioning that gothic metal = female singer. It's how people incorrectly get the idea that bands like Evanescence, Flyleaf, etc are all "goth" rock bands just because they have a female singer. But any bands lead my guys with the exact same themes are just rock.

oh well I'm spent on this topic of discussion. You know what they say about arguing on the internet.

Have you listened to the Arockoplypse CD in full?
I'm trying to understand why such dislike for them?

I don't dislike them. Re-visit my first post and you'll see I said they were a fun listen. And I've got a damn monster as my avatar, that should say something. Absolutely I've listened to the Arockalypse, especially while getting hammered.

My only point in this thread is their visual impact is far greater than the music. Not that the music is bad. Their videos, costumes, and stage show are the *strengths*, and while I feel they do it well... take it all away and I just don't see people going apeshit for "Lordi Unplugged." Which in my opinion, won't make them widely acceptable (see poll results) as a Progpower band unless you bring them in for the buzz.

That's me, and that's it. You feel opposite, you are certainly entitled, and I respect that. If we all shared the same opinion, this place would grow stale quickly. Nothing wrong with a sprited discussion.

Peeps;

This conversation is very interesting. Glenn has long put up acts that MIGHT not be the best fit, but WOULD be entertaining, in slot three. Look at stuff like Pink Cream 69 and Freak Kitchen? They were not the best fit, but they put on a show.

That said, the problem with Lordi is that they would probably demand higher than a #3 slot, and would cost far more than we would be willing to sponsor. Seeing that they would NOT be the best fit for a higher spot, but for the middle, I doubt this would happen. However, stranger things do happen. If Lordi was put on the bill, the eventuality may be that PP would get so damn big that bigger acts might want in. That means the intimacy that many people speak of PP might have to be sacrificed. Sad, but true.

As for me personally? Lordi just would not fit in what I believe ProgPower to be.

Peace,
Ray C.

Wikipedia is edited by whoever wants to sign up. That statement is false alone by specifically mentioning that gothic metal = female singer. It's how people incorrectly get the idea that bands like Evanescence, Flyleaf, etc are all "goth" rock bands just because they have a female singer. But any bands lead my guys with the exact same themes are just rock.
Good point Jibrille. Wikipedia is subjective.
I like to rely on the source:

In an interview with Tuomas he said he was weary of all the lables but felt his music was symphonic metal.....oh well, what does he know? lol :p
Oh, wait, this is about Lordi! forget it. :oops:

Yay! to the silicon-faced monsters! :zombie:

Blabbermouth:
LORDI Signs North American Deal With THE END RECORDS - Dec. 12, 2006

LORDI, Finland's monster rock 'n' roll extravaganza and winners of the 2006 Eurovision Song Contest, has signed a North American deal with The End Records.

Since winning Eurovision, LORDI's popularity has grown to gargantuan heights, with the band conquering numerous European charts and a six-week sold out tour of Europe. Now since signing with The End Records, the band has set their sights on North America and anticipates their success will continue across the pond.

LORDI's most recent album, "The Arockalypse", will be released in North America on March 20, 2007, with bonus tracks and a DVD.

LORDI is currently planning its first-ever jaunt of North America this spring and is confirmed for a two-night stint at the annual Bamboozle festival, set for May 5 and 6 in East Rutherford, N.J.

"The Arockalypse" North American version track listing:

01. SCG3 Special Report
02. Bringing Back The Balls To Rock
03. The Deadite Girls Gone Wild
04. The Kids Who Wanna Play With The Dead
05. It Snows In Hell
06. Who's Your Daddy
07. Hard Rock Hallelujah
08. They Only Come Out At Night
09. Chainsaw Buffet
10. Good To Be Bad
11. The Night Of The Loving Dead
12. Supermonstars
13. Would You Love A Monsterman? '06 [Bonus track]
14. Mr. Killjoy [Bonus track]
15. EviLove [Bonus track]
+ Bonus DVD

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/lordiofficial.