Symphony X - Iconoclast

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Allow me to open a thread about an album that I had major hopes for... and ended up as a big letdown...

I thought on Paradise Lost, Symphony X went into a new, heavier direction but without forgetting what made them an exceptional band - fantastic musicianship, great melodies and hooks, unforgettable songs... I mean, the first half on Paradise Lost is borderline perfect. The last songs aren't as strong, but as an album, it's still a hell of a disc.

Iconoclast, however, sounds like the band decided to push their boundaries more into the heavier, darker direction. Sure, that can't be a bad thing if they balance it with the other aspects...but... they didn't. Aside from the 3 truly excellent songs on this (Iconoclast, The End of Innocence, When All is Lost), the rest of the album sounds like leftovers from the Paradise Lost sessions...only with no feel. The songs are heavier, yes, and the concept DEFINITELY can be felt in the music... heavy, industrial/machine-like. And although there's good moments, overall the result is dry and empty. Sounds like Symphony X trying to cater a little bit to the angry younger metalheads.

Of course, this is just MY opinion on the album after hearing it 4, 5 times... but still... what a letdown... :err:

I don't have it yet, but that is disappointing. Paradise Lost was the album that really got me into Symphony X. I was hoping for Pt. 2. I'll still get it I think, but I was hoping for a little more of that kind of sound. The heavier/darker is not really my cup o tea.

I was concerned about this. I got into them with V, I thought that was amazing. With Odyssey and then Paradise Lost they kept on getting better and better I thought. Not because of heaviness but melodies and hooks was getting stronger. I was worried if they can go further than Paradise Lost.

Symphony X is my favorite band. With that said Divine wings of tragedy is my personal fave disc. But i have been a fan of Thrash and ultra heavy metal since the begging of the styles, so Symphony X getting darker and more heavy is a good thing.:devil:

Iconoclast, however, sounds like the band decided to push their boundaries more into the heavier, darker direction.
Milton, this makes my mouth water.

:lol:

When I heard the first two songs on the album, I was like "Man, this is gonna be amazing!" Mouth watered too.

By the 6th, 7th song, the throat was so dry, I needed water. :lol:

Again, I don't think the album is garbage, just a letdown. I just was expecting something better, it's that simple. Like I said, the 3 songs I mentioned are among some of their best music. The rest just didn't do it for me.

There are 90 second clips of each song available for listening at Itunes (except "Heretic", which I couldn't get to work). I think you have to have Itunes to hear the clips, but not positive of that. To get it to work I clicked this link http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/iconoclast/id440286093 , and then clicked on "view in itunes".

I thought the clips sounded pretty good, but I am one who has already come to terms with Symphony X being a more power oriented band these days.

Britt

Unlike many others on here, I haven't liked the direction that Symphony X have gone in over the last few years. Like Zilla, my favorite by far is "Divine wings of tragedy" followed by "V". I discussed this on the other board, and I think it's just because the "Symphony" aspect of Symphony X dissapeared on Paradise Lost, except from a couple of songs. Also, I loved the amazing beautiful vocals that use to come out of Russell on the old stuff. With the new stuff, he's changed to a growling aggressive style that doesn't do anything for me...

So with this said, I'm sure I'll pass on picking up the new one.....I can appreciate though how others like the more angry modern Symphony X, but just not my cup of tea.... Divine Wings of Tragedy is such an amazing masterpiece of an album, and I don't think they will ever replicate that again.... The best drumming of all their albums is on Divine, that's for sure.

Unlike many others on here, I haven't liked the direction that Symphony X have gone in over the last few years. Like Zilla, my favorite by far is "Divine wings of tragedy" followed by "V". I discussed this on the other board, and I think it's just because the "Symphony" aspect of Symphony X dissapeared on Paradise Lost, except from a couple of songs. Also, I loved the amazing beautiful vocals that use to come out of Russell on the old stuff. With the new stuff, he's changed to a growling aggressive style that doesn't do anything for me...

So with this said, I'm sure I'll pass on picking up the new one.....I can appreciate though how others like the more angry modern Symphony X, but just not my cup of tea.... Divine Wings of Tragedy is such an amazing masterpiece of an album, and I don't think they will ever replicate that again.... The best drumming of all their albums is on Divine, that's for sure.

Exactly this, except V is my favorite with Divine Wings second. Russel went from one of my favorite singers to someone I couldn't care less about on Paradise Lost and the song I've heard off Iconoclast.

The Odyssey is my favorite .. it's got the perfect mix of power and progressive and also contains the incredible title track .. which is their best work to date. Given my Symx tastes this new one didn't sound too far off of what I want to hear from them. I do agree on the "Evil Russ" thing ... I'd prefer he dialed back on that style of vocal a bit.

Britt

Couldn't have said it better. I agree 100%.

I haven't heard Iconoclast yet, but I like the heavier stuff myself - I don't mind the occasional ballad thrown in, but Sym X's lighter stuff (particularly the older material) tends to be more cheese than I can listen to once in a blue moon. Consequently, my mp3 player is filled mostly with Paradise Lost tracks and the heavy hitters from the other albums. The more Russell roars, the better!

I can't choose a favorite SymX album - they are just such a solid band. When I picked up Paradise Lost, I had only heard V and a few other assorted tracks at the time, so I was quite surprised at what I heard. I didn't like it much at first, but it really grew on me. I looooved The End of Innocence, so I'm looking forward to this one. :)