Symphony X - Iconoclast

I never got into to Paradise Lost all that much. Hard to pick one of the earlier albums as a standout favorite, as I like them at different times. I have not listened to clips of Iconoclast yet, as I sort of like to be surprised with a new album. I'm hoping I like it anyway.

Some good replies on this thread. I do disagree with Jaime regarding "cheese" and symphony x though. Symphony X is a band I've never associated with cheese, ever.... hapsody? yes, Symphony X, no :).

I've also heard a couple of people say on another board that the NEWER symphony X(Paradise Lost) sounded too cheesy with the over the top aggressive vocals etc..... I disagree with that too.

I personally don't think the old or the new Symphyony X is cheesy...
Now some of the older tunes did deal with mythology, but I don't see that as cheese. In fact, I love some of the lyrical themes that run through the older Symphony X......But I don't think a band exploring mythology or fantasy means "cheese".... Now on the other hand, it's all about the presentation. Rhapsody coming out on stage with swords and pretending engaging in batttles would be considered cheese :)....

But again, I don't see how cheese and symphony x would go together at any point in their career....

Beautiful incredibly well sung Epic and Bombastic Compositions is a good thing :).. It adds a fullness and enriching quality that adds to the power of the metal.

I love the album.

Two tracks on the disc are everything that makes SX godly. The title track is intense, crunchy, & nice & proggy with all the tempo changes. I find myself getting pumped and anticipating Russ yelling out "Victory or Death" and then the riff immediately kicking my ass. When All is Lost is the other and is a beautiful mid-tempo piece where Russ goes old-school with the melodic vocals instead of the grit.

I can defintely see Milton's drop-off point though as the fourth tune (Bastards of the Machine) is my least favorite on the disc. It takes all of the momentum out of the freight train of the first three cuts. It picks up again with quickly with Children of a Faceless God and keeps it up.

It's defintely a continuation of the Paradise Lost style which is fine with me.

Glenn,

Glad to hear you say you like it. I almost 100% agree with your views when it comes to bands that you and I both like. Your range is greater than mine but when it is a band that I love and I see your thoughts on it, i can always bank on it.

Before Paradise Lost, Divine Wings was my be all end all when it came to Symphony X. Divine Wings will always have a special place in my heart b/c it was the first cd I bought that was in the PP category of today. Bought it from Impulse after reading a review on the original Perpetual Motion board. Soon after, I met you and you opened my eyes to many more bands and Laser's Edge. Anyway, when I bought Paradise Lost, I loved it and it is tied for first place with Divine Wings. Yes, I prefer Russ singing clean(The Accolade is my favorite song) but I LOVE the heavier Symphony X. Paradise Lost had a great groove to it and Russ's vocals on the title track are AWESOME.

I can't wait for the new one after reading this from you.

Hope to see them back at PP. Been a long time.

Brand

Scratching my head with the nay sayers here. It sounds like regular Sym X to me with a touch more bite.. The song When All Is Lost worth the admission price alone IMO. One thing I must say is that Sym X is very disappointing live compared to what I hear from their studio output. They sound absolutely nowhere near as good live as they do on record.

Scratching my head with the nay sayers here. It sounds like regular Sym X to me with a touch more bite.. The song When All Is Lost worth the admission price alone IMO. One thing I must say is that Sym X is very disappointing live compared to what I hear from their studio output. They sound absolutely nowhere near as good live as they do on record.

The times I've seen them live, they play great, but they are TOO FRIGGIN' LOUD!!!! Everything gets distorted and sloppy sounding as a result. I think if they backed off the volume a bit, they'd sound great.
BTW- I'm very much looking forward to Iconoclast....I love the heavier direction they've had on the last two releases, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this.

Not to derail the thread, but if you're going to buy music, I think it's pretty shitty you're not supporting the label that actually puts it out in this territory, or others. Honestly, you may as well have downloaded it illegally if you're going to support some third party for a small territory that Nuclear Blast licensed it to. Nobody that keeps the band touring and funded is going to see much of that money.

Not to derail the thread, but if you're going to buy music, I think it's pretty shitty you're not supporting the label that actually puts it out in this territory, or others. Honestly, you may as well have downloaded it illegally if you're going to support some third party for a small territory that Nuclear Blast licensed it to. Nobody that keeps the band touring and funded is going to see much of that money.

Agreed 100%

Anyone that knows me knows that I collect all the different territories for bands I love. I buy MULTIPLE copies of all the releases in all the places it is available. I have purchased 2 different Vinyl releases, the 2 CD SE, and jewel case version from the NB site as well as pre-ordered the Japanese version. I can guarantee you I support bands in more ways than you ever will you tool.

Anyone that knows me knows that I collect all the different territories for bands I love. I buy MULTIPLE copies of all the releases in all the places it is available. I have purchased 2 different Vinyl releases, the 2 CD SE, and jewel case version from the NB site as well as pre-ordered the Japanese version. I can guarantee you I support bands in more ways than you ever will you tool.

Actually, my post wasn't directly towards you per se, but a general thought that I arrived to from reading recent through threads of people saying they bought the Mexican version or whatever of another release, specifically Nuclear Blast releases. But thanks for the A) blind assumptions and B) unnecessary attacks. :D

But with all that said, I am not exactly sure how I was supposed to know all this when your post specifically thanks some label that Symphony X isn't even signed to but is just a third party NB licenses to at best, bootlegger at worst.

Actually, my post wasn't directly towards you per se, but a general thought that I arrived to from reading recent through threads of people saying they bought the Mexican version or whatever of another release, specifically Nuclear Blast releases. But thanks for the A) blind assumptions and B) unnecessary attacks. :D

But with all that said, I am not exactly sure how I was supposed to know all this when your post specifically thanks some label that Symphony X isn't even signed to but is just a third party NB licenses to at best, bootlegger at worst.

Wow....your "attack" on The Metal Madman "blindly assumed" that he wasn't supporting the bands/labels by way of getting copies from a third party label. I love when people get defensive after they project their behavior on someone else.

I have a lot of respect for what you do John. I think it's awesome that you buy multiple copies. Really cool. That being said, your comment about Aeonic and you supporting them more than he does... well... let's just say that I can guarantee you that he supports them *just as much*, but in different ways.

Now let's all move on and talk about Iconoclast. I still don't dig it as much as the others.. :lol:

Wow....your "attack" on The Metal Madman "blindly assumed" that he wasn't supporting the bands/labels by way of getting copies from a third party label. I love when people get defensive after they project their behavior on someone else.

Making a general statement about something is an "attack?" I don't think so.

Anyways I finally got around to spinning the CD at full today, and I think it's good, but not great. There are a few forgettable songs, meh, but there are definitely some standouts. It's not my favorite Symphony X CD, and at times it does feel a bit uninspired, but it's still a good CD, and I wouldn't call it a letdown or anything. Still worth a buy for the fans and I definitely think it's a keeper. I do hope they mix it up a bit more on the next CD because I do feel like Iconoclast has its stale moments. Certainly though, it did not piss me off like Nevermore's last one did.

Honestly, you may as well have downloaded it illegally if you're going to support some third party for a small territory that Nuclear Blast licensed it to.
So by this logic I committed a deadly sin by ordering the US release of the new Anathema from lasercd? Shit. How could I do that? I'm in Europe. Oh, fuck. I'm killing a band I actually like. :erk:

Scratching my head with the nay sayers here. It sounds like regular Sym X to me with a touch more bite.. The song When All Is Lost worth the admission price alone.

I have to agree ... It's been 11 years since V and some things are bound to change a bit.

Yeah .. they've went the more aggressive route, but still though I think they've maintained the vast majority of things that made them great to begin with.

So far I'm really digging the new one .. I think it's got top stuff on it and I'd also say it's got a little something for everyone.

Gotta agree with Glenn on the "Victory Or Death" part of Iconoclast ... Intense .. fist pumping goodness.

Britt

So by this logic I committed a deadly sin by ordering the US release of the new Anathema from lasercd? Shit. How could I do that? I'm in Europe. Oh, fuck. I'm killing a band I actually like. :erk:

Well no, because in that case Laser CD ordered those records from Nuclear Blast. That being said, if you bought say the Japanese version and ONLY bought the Japanese version, yes, you are hurting the band. It'd be better if you just illegally downloaded it in that case because you're not actually throwing out money. If you're going to buy a CD, the whole point in doing so is so that the band is able to sustain itself? Sure you get a nice physical package out of it too, but surely you also buy because you know it goes to a good cause -- the band you like?

Your nasty sarcasm only makes you look silly in the end. Why do you think many DVDs and games are region locked? For lulz?

After the Odyssey (which was great) I very much stopped caring about them. I may give this one a listen tho.

Scarecrow is a legit label from Mexico, they license a shitload of records from all the labels. Good quality releases (a lot of times on Digipacks).

A lot of their records are sold in the US, and that's illegal. I don't know if the label sells them directly, if there's a third party involved... But I've seen it before (especially on e-bay).