Symphony X - Iconoclast

There isn't one track on the new cd that I dislike. I'm an admitted Sy-X fanboi, but I would still bitch if I thought it was crap. I don't get the momentem kill of Bastards of The Machine, but to each their own. I think DWoT is still their highwater mark, but I love this cd more than Paradise Lost, and I liked Paradise Lost a ton. I won't argue opinions here, but sometimes I do think that if <insert diety of choice> came down from the skies, and brought copies of V Part II, The Unreleased Disc to us, people would still find stuff to bitch about.

I'm getting pretty jaded to all of that, so I have to poke a little fun at it :heh:

I just want to point out that taking the stance that your opponent is verbally masturbating in his argument, or is somehow lacking in a "life", does not make him wrong. Ad hominems just make you look like a bigger jerk then you're trying to make your opposition appear. jus sayin', it's bad form.

There isn't one track on the new cd that I dislike. I'm an admitted Sy-X fanboi, but I would still bitch if I thought it was crap. I don't get the momentem kill of Bastards of The Machine, but to each their own. I think DWoT is still their highwater mark, but I love this cd more than Paradise Lost, and I liked Paradise Lost a ton. I won't argue opinions here, but sometimes I do think that if <insert diety of choice> came down from the skies, and brought copies of V Part II, The Unreleased Disc to us, people would still find stuff to bitch about.

I'm getting pretty jaded to all of that, so I have to poke a little fun at it :heh:

I think I understand how you feel. A lot of folks act like V is the only album the band has ever released, and yeah. it's the internet where everyone ahs a voice to complain so they will. I feel like a lot of the time people look for reasons to be upset with a band's new material. It might be part of that "Oh, the older stuff is better" mentality or whatever, but it's still annoying.

I just want to point out that taking the stance that your opponent is verbally masturbating in his argument, or is somehow lacking in a "life", does not make him wrong. Ad hominems just make you look like a bigger jerk then you're trying to make your opposition appear. jus sayin', it's bad form.

+1

On-topic: I love the new album. Really, the only problem I have with it is that the 2-disc edition eventually feels like too much of a good thing - it kinda wears me out if I try to listen to it straight through, and the constant heaviness gets samey. So far, I'm liking it much more than I did Paradise Lost - it's definitely a continuation of that sound, just... better.

Favorite songs so far: the title track, Dehumanized, Heretic, Reign in Madness.

Maybe this has been talked about but I have not been keeping up. Regarding the single and double disc versions of the new cd: why would someone just get the single disc version. It looks to me that the second disc has all new music on it as well right? I could see if disc two was like 2 bonus tracks or something then you may not get it. What am I missing?

Oh yeah .. the two disc version is the only one worth owning. The one disc idea is just silly. Basically what I have done is retagged the tunes 1-12 and put them on my ipod like it's one disc.

Britt

Oh yeah .. the two disc version is the only one worth owning. The one disc idea is just silly. Basically what I have done is retagged the tunes 1-12 and put them on my ipod like it's one disc.

Britt

That's kind of what I was thinking.......I could see if disc two had a video and an extra song and was like $ 15.00 more then maybe I would not buy it but for the life of me I don't see why one would buy the one disc version.......

Oh, and that's a great idea on renumbering the songs in itunes. I may have to do that with several 2 disc sets I have on my ipod. Thanks Britt!

Technically, it is three bonus tracks, and they mix up the track listing a bit on the two disc version versus the one disc. The bonus tracks ("Light up the Night", "Lords of Chaos", and "Reign in Madness") are all GOOD songs. Definitely would be silly to not order this one....

Technically, it is three bonus tracks, and they mix up the track listing a bit on the two disc version versus the one disc. The bonus tracks ("Light up the Night", "Lords of Chaos", and "Reign in Madness") are all GOOD songs. Definitely would be silly to not order this one....

Now I am confused again.............Amazon shows the track listing as such: ( are there not 5 songs on disc 2?)

Disc: 1
1. Iconoclast
2. The End of Innocence
3. Dehumanized
4. Bastards of the Machine
5. Heretic
6. Children of a Faceless God
7. When All is Lost
Disc: 2
1. Electric Messiah
2. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
3. Light Up the Night
4. The Lords of Chaos
5. Reign in Madness

*********never mind.........I see the one disc version has 9 songs. Got it.

Yeah .. I forgot the one cd version had 9 tracks and not 7. Agreed with Sir Ex Kun .. all three of those tracks are good. I particulaly like Lords Of Chaos and Reign In Madness .. definately worth owning.

Britt

WTF does every new music thread on here eventually turn into 'biz peeps' arguing with 'fan peeps' over the same topics? I might hang around here more if it wasn't for... *looks for the 'wank' smiley*

So this album is a continuation of the PL sound............ I've got mixed feelings on that one.... It had some really good songs, but that wasn't because of tehhrr massive grooooooooove. A groove being the dominant 'riff' of the song gets old, especially if it's a band such as Sy-X. And I miss more cleans from Allen. I will check out a few songs from this one though and see what I think.

So this album is a continuation of the PL sound............ I've got mixed feelings on that one.... It had some really good songs, but that wasn't because of tehhrr massive grooooooooove. A groove being the dominant 'riff' of the song gets old, especially if it's a band such as Sy-X. And I miss more cleans from Allen. I will check out a few songs from this one though and see what I think.

Don't let the vocals scare you away. Honestly, I think the songwriting and the musical performances on here are the best they have done since "V", albeit in a heavier, more power metal direction. Yes, the vocals cost them major points, but the album is still VERY good despite that.

Don't let the vocals scare you away. Honestly, I think the songwriting and the musical performances on here are the best they have done since "V", albeit in a heavier, more power metal direction. Yes, the vocals cost them major points, but the album is still VERY good despite that.

It's such a shame that with a great singer like Russell Allen we can say that "the vocals cost them major points". So many bands would love to have a singer as good as Allen and in SymX, the "too much Evil Russ" thing is lowering a good album...

The more I play Iconoclast, the more I'm enjoying it, but still, it could definitely have been improved by a few less "heavy/groovy/speedy with angry vox" songs and a few more melodic ones like 'When All Is Lost'.

The more I play Iconoclast, the more I'm enjoying it, but still, it could definitely have been improved by a few less "heavy/groovy/speedy with angry vox" songs and a few more melodic ones like 'When All Is Lost'.

The frustrating part is that it's not like the songs wouldn't fit the smooth melodic vocal lines; every one of these songs could feature melodic vocals with harsh vocals accenting, and be improved significantly. The writing is THERE; for whatever reason they choose to go with a ridiculous amount of the angry Russ.

The frustrating part is that it's not like the songs wouldn't fit the smooth melodic vocal lines; every one of these songs could feature melodic vocals with harsh vocals accenting, and be improved significantly. The writing is THERE; for whatever reason they choose to go with a ridiculous amount of the angry Russ.
Reading your review makes me want this album that much more.

Angry Russ ! Angry Russ !! Angry Russ !!! I love both the angry and the smoother vox from Russ, so needless to say this disc has become a big time hit with me. I think the disc/s rips.

Britt

Angry Russ ! Angry Russ !! Angry Russ !!! I love both the angry and the smoother vox from Russ, so needless to say this disc has become a big time hit with me. I think the disc/s rips.

Britt

I agree... I am loving this CD. It has a perfect balance of power and prog elements. And of course, Russ can sing anything!!!