Symphony X - Iconoclast

Haven't been a big fan of any of their albums since V, but this one is just great. They've redeemed themselves to me.

I finally bought a copy of this amazing beast of an album....outstanding stuff. I love the HEAVY and darker direction; definitely a continuation from Paradise Lost. Russell Allen, in my mind, has got to be THE BEST vocalist working in metal right now. I think he stands shoulder to shoulder with the past giants of the genre....Dio, Halford, Dickinson, Tate....he's up there, at the top of the heap.

Russell Allen, in my mind, has got to be THE BEST vocalist working in metal right now. I think he stands shoulder to shoulder with the past giants of the genre....Dio, Halford, Dickinson, Tate....he's up there, at the top of the heap.

I did a review of a Jorn album for DigitalMetal.com 10 years ago where I proclaimed him and Russell Allen future legends in Metal...so I could not agree more. He is simply amazing...very expressive and articulate...like a blend of Steve Walsh & Dio...

I just listened to the whole album (2 CD edition) and it was awesome. I felt like the singer was channeling Dio at times. I don't remember him being so aggressive of a vocalist. The lyrics were great too.

side note: Bastards of the Machine: what a great song title.

I found a copy of this at Best Buy of all places - and only for $10. It was the only copy they had in the entire store. To bad this is not the 2-disk 'deluxe' version, though. I may still try to get a copy of that.

Anyway, really like what I am hearing here! I actually like this much better than Paradise Lost.

What are people's favorite songs off the album so far?

Mine (in no particular order) are: Dehumanized, Children of a Faceless God and Electric Messiah.

I've had several favorites so far .. starting with Iconoclast and most recently Reign In Madness. In between I had Children of a Faceless God, Heretic, and When All Is Lost. Excellent disc/s ... it's had great staying power for me as well .. I've spun it nearly 40 times already.

As for the year I've got it neck and neck with Cynthesis - DeEvolution .. which I also think is fantastic.

Britt