The band you use to explain Prog/Power metal?

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
What's the disc, band, song, video, whatever, that you use most frequently to show a n00b exactly what this whole ProgPower thing is? Do you use a truly power metal band? A strictly progressive metal band? Do you throw a fistload of songs at their head and force feed them all?

Symphony X: The Wicked
Edguy: Babylon
Dream Theater: Metropolis Pt. 1

Usually it's one of these guys. Depending on what the person usually listens to, and whether they play an instrument. :D

I don't find myself in a position to explain to a newb to the progpower scene too often, I moreso find myself in a postion of explaining to people who don't listen to metal at all what "progpower" is... especially at work.

me: "I'm going to Atlanta next week for a vacation"
random lawyer: "Oh, what for?"
me: "Oh for a concert festival kinda thing"
rl: "Cool! Who's playing?"
me: "Nobody you've ever heard of"
rl: "Like who?"
me: "Angra, Stratovarius, etc"
rl: "Right, never heard of them, what kind of music?"
me: "Progressive power metal"
rl: ...stumped look on face
me: "Take Rush and mix them with Metallica"
rl: "ok"

I usually go for....

Me: "Remember that song 'November Rain' by Guns N Roses? Long and dramatic, had orchestras and piano but still mixed in metal?"
Them: "Yeah"
M: "Well, for these bands, all their songs are like that."
T: "I loved that song."
M: "Let me tell you about this song 'Chance'..."

Depends.

If it's a man, I use Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)." Long. Schlocky. Bombastic. Over the top. Self-indulgent. Operatic. And then you bought the album and the idiot made it 12 fucking minutes long. That's ProgPower.

If it's a woman, I use Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now." Same thing. ProgPower.

When they get excited and show interest, I tell them to also think of 80's OTT hair metal like Motley Crue or Poison or Bon Jovi or some other generic boring crap like that.

That's usually enough for all but the stupidest. I do what I can to help the scene.

Joe

If I give specific bands I say Iced Earth for Power Metal and Dream Theater for Prog. But if I am trying to describe it I say think early Iron Maiden only faster and heavier for Power. Then for Prog I say think kind of the same thing only with keyboards and its more artsy farsty.

Helloween, Edguy, Stratovarius would go on Power Metal.
Pain of Salvation, Zero Hour and Dream Theater fall on Prog Metal.

Symphony X, Angra, Adagio would probably fit on crossovers... Prog AND Power.

AngraRULES said:
Helloween, Edguy, Stratovarius would go on Power Metal.
Pain of Salvation, Zero Hour and Dream Theater fall on Prog Metal.

Symphony X, Angra, Adagio would probably fit on crossovers... Prog AND Power.

Another great list

S. Biffle - I use the same 2 bands - Iced Earth and Dream Theater......I also like to throw in my description of Nightwish - the "female opera vocals with keyboard driven power metal" usually raises a few eyebrows.....

Prog: Queensryche
Power: Judas Priest or Iron Maiden (I know neither is entirely accurately "power metal," but it at least gets people in the ballpark)

For Power i use - LOST HORIZON, EDGUY, GAMMA RAY, DARK MOOR

For Prog i use - ZERO HOUR, POVERTY'S NO CRIME, PYRAMAZE, CLOUDSCAPE

Crossover - KAMELOT, SYMPHONY X, ANGRA, and maybe NIGHTWISH,

Dark or Death - SCAR SYMMETRY, MERCENARY, DIVERCIA, DIMMU BORGIR

Joe-× said:
Depends.

If it's a man, I use Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)." Long. Schlocky. Bombastic. Over the top. Self-indulgent. Operatic. And then you bought the album and the idiot made it 12 fucking minutes long. That's ProgPower.

If it's a woman, I use Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now." Same thing. ProgPower.

When they get excited and show interest, I tell them to also think of 80's OTT hair metal like Motley Crue or Poison or Bon Jovi or some other generic boring crap like that.

That's usually enough for all but the stupidest. I do what I can to help the scene.

Joe

Celine Dion, wtf?

If i had to play one single song... prog and power.....

Strato - Learning to Fly
Dreamscape - The End of Light

I know most are not fond of Elements 1 but Learning to Fly is like a power poster child.

The End of Light reflects more a pure prog rather than over the top. It is a song the does not nearly feel it's 20+ minute length...in other words it does not labor to be prog.