The "No B.S." Interview

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'll guess Peavey from Rage at PPIV. Rage and Peavey had been around long enough to have the ego, they were headlining, PPIV could be considered one of the early shows (although didn't I read somewhere that he sent a limo for Nightwish?), their set spawned the now-infamous "Rage effect" and they haven't been back. All circumstantial evidence here, I don't know the guy at all and I haven't ever heard anything negative about him... just putting the clues together.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'll guess Peavey from Rage at PPIV. Rage and Peavey had been around long enough to have the ego, they were headlining, PPIV could be considered one of the early shows (although didn't I read somewhere that he sent a limo for Nightwish?), their set spawned the now-infamous "Rage effect" and they haven't been back. All circumstantial evidence here, I don't know the guy at all and I haven't ever heard anything negative about him... just putting the clues together.

I don't know what Glenn's interaction with them might have been. But I'm going out on a limb and saying this was a band from the early days, as in before PPUSAIV. I dealt with Rage that year, for transportation, and had no issues with any of them and actually found them to be a wonderful group of guys.

This has Devin Townsend written all over it. :p

As a n00b, I have to ask -- what exactly is the "Rage effect"?

Don't ask. It's better not knowing, and it's a statement that should absolutely die a death long overdue.

I don't know what Glenn's interaction with them might have been. But I'm going out on a limb and saying this was a band from the early days, as in before PPUSAIV.

Wouldn't it have to be PP3? Wasn't that the first year in Atlanta? Or was it PP2? I also don't think Rage would've been dicks.

Glenn mentioned using the Marta, so you know it wasn't anyone at the very first ProgPower, which was held in the Chicago area. He also didn't say that this band has never been invited back, so it is entirely possible that this was a return band, and Glenn still liked their music (and the other members) enough to not let one jerkwad ruin it for everyone else.

Either way, I can't even begin to guess.

I take it you're kidding, right? I met the guy and he's one of the nicest musicians I've met personally.

I was referring to his stage act, really, or what I know of it. I've never seen him live and have no desire to do so.

And I don't particularly care too much who it was, honestly. It was an entertaining story, those that know won't say who (nor do I expect/want them too), and silly guessing games are just that, except in this case, I think it has a pretty lame way to damage images of musicians based on heresy from the people posting. Imagine if you worked really hard at being the best you can be to work with, and consider yourself an all around nice guy, and then people start saying this could have been you.

That's pretty fucking fantastic, if you ask me. I am even sorry I got dragged into it at all with my PP2 comment. I wasn't thinking, and if I was, I would've kept my mouth shut.

Anyway, like i said, fun story, I just wish the following dialogue would've taken a different turn rather than the guessing game. I, for one, love how Glenn stands up for his Crew and his Crew sucks it up for the good of the festival. That's pretty fucking awesome.

As a n00b, I have to ask -- what exactly is the "Rage effect"?

Basically Rage was the Saturday headliner at PP4, but apparently not a lot of people wanted to see them. The result was about 400-500 people left in the venue when Rage came onstage. It was pretty unfortunate, considering the band put a really good show on.

Don't ask. It's better not knowing, and it's a statement that should absolutely die a death long overdue.

Ah get over it. It happened. It sucked, but it happened. What's the big deal in telling the guy the story?

didnt the old drummer of BG have some sorta attitude? not sure, never got the story on why he left the band

I've never heard of Thomen having any kind of attitude, he's always seemed like a really cool guy. As far as I know, he left BG because of musical differences.

I really don't know who this could of been, maybe it's better that I don't know though?

I'd love to know who it was, but I'm not going to criticize Glenn for not saying. In his position, I wouldn't say either. All it would do is start a flame war with the other guy posting his own stuff on his site about how Glenn mistreated him or something or didn't fulfill a contract. This kind of stuff almost always just makes both sides look bad. This way we get to find out how tough it is to run a festival with all those different personalities(some of them probably not even sober) without naming names and making it about something different.

It is always interesting to hear behind the scenes stuff. I highly recommend the KEEP IT TRUE FESTIVAL Book. It is a great book with stories from the first 10 of the fest. The guys who run the fest have no fear in telling the truth about the bands. I think in a way by letting this stuff out will help other promoters and such with knowing who is hard to work with. It can also work against them too. One story that stood out is with Toxic bailed out on the fest and never returned the money that they were fronted and stuff. never a call back or anything. The guys are also not afraid to talk about who was a disappointment live at the fest.

I guess with this thread you can guess and guess but until it is said who it was...no real point. Also...just because you may like a band...they still may not be the coolest guys that you imagine that they are. Sometimes you just get someone on a bad day and stuff too. Sure there are lots of egos to deal with but that is the biz.

I've never heard of Thomen having any kind of attitude, he's always seemed like a really cool guy. As far as I know, he left BG because of musical differences.

I really don't know who this could of been, maybe it's better that I don't know though?

ya i never got the reason why, lol! i wonder if it was really was "musical differences" or if that was a superficial thing?

never the less, hes a good drummer, he's the guy that played in savage circus right?