The possible return of the Mystery Band (Please read)

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
As several of you know, I posted about the possiblity of the return of the mystery band/performance the other night. I proceeded to delete it a few hours later without much explanation. Allow me to explain....

After a decade of doing this, I am a promoter first, fanboy second. That's the only way to survive in this business. That was backwards the other night. I have been wanting to pull something like this off for a while, but various factors always squashed it. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got. I knew I couldn't do it on my own though with the current budget already in place. I'm not raising ticket prices either. I circled back to the success of the mystery band donation last year that originally brought us Turisas. Their booking agent ended up fucking us over at the last minute, but that was not the point. You guys stepped up to the plate because you love the festival just as much as I do. I proceeded to post about the feedback and dance around the room with the wife because I thought I had a shot at it.

I deleted the post a few hours later before most had a chance to even read it.

Why? I got in touch with the booking agent that night and discovered there were some legitimate expenses involved that I had not anticipated. They were beyond what I felt comfortable doing based on donations and money out of my own pocket. Thus, I pulled the plug.

Fast forward to the next day....

A few close friends emailed me about the post that disappeared. I told them everything. They both got excited and offered to kick in to make it happen. It still wasn't enough though. I sent out a few more emails to a few hardcore fans that I knew I could trust. They didn't hesitate as well. Between those individuals, my own loss I could tolerate, the blessing of my wonderful wife, and my trust that the mystery band donation process would work, the fanboy in me roared back to life.

So here we are...

Update:

Goal has been reached so I have removed the paypal link. I'm not a greedy bastard. Please see current sticky post.

Don't forget, the Personal option removes all Paypal fees.

Anyway, $20 sent. Now I just need to send the money for my GB ticket.

PayPal sent. A "gift" which I am thinking is appropriate in this situation. Not much, but hopefully enough to get the amount up!

I am just wondering if there can be any clarification on the statement "It would affect the upper portion of the roster". Does that mean that this band would be part of the latter bands that play that night? Or are the bands that already are playing somehow 'affected' (emotionally, spiritually, financially...). I'm guessing it's the former, but I was just a bit unclear.

Money sent! :headbang:

Just a question, how long are you planning on accepting donations? I would be willing to give more but would have to wait until next Friday (payday).

Surprised I didn't even get a whiff of this before. Well, donation sent. Hope it comes to fruition whoever it is. Nothing like a Harvester Surprise.

Hints:

It would be an exclusive.
It would be something that excites people beyond our own forum.
It would affect the upper portion of the roster.
Some of you will truly understand just how special it is and that it only would happen at ProgPower USA.
Some of you will hate it and not bother to watch.
Some of you will just think..well..that's cool..but I could take it or leave it.

Sold.

A naive question - Why must the band be a mystery? What is wrong with saying "I may be able to get Psychotic Waltz (or Ark, or Nickelback...), if you guys see fit to help me out."

Thanks.

If the offer doesn't or money doesn't work, the band would not want their name associated with the press. "Greedy bastards" for not doing it, etc.

If the offer doesn't or money doesn't work, the band would not want their name associated with the press. "Greedy bastards" for not doing it, etc.

Also, I would think too that if PP has the potential to book an exclusive band, and it was out in the open, who is to say that another promoter with deep pockets couldn't come along and say, "Oh really? Band X is thinking about doing an exclusive performance this year"??????

I totally understand and respect fully why you would keep it under wraps.

I might kick in a few bucks, even though the reality is that I won't be able to come to the festival. (Certainly not that I don't WANT to).