THERION - Minneapolis review ... and set-list!

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
As I sit here at my desk, I am looking at a signed copy of Therion's set-list from last night in Minneapolis ... signed by 10 people.

Yes, 10 people! 4 members of the choir, 2 singers, 3 guitarists and 1 drummer! How cool is this band!? :headbang:

Squashed onto a tiny stage two-feet off the ground at The Ascot Room - a 400 person capacity venue in downtown Minneapolis, THERION proved that they don't need a big room or a big audience to put on a BIG SHOW. From the moment they came on-stage until the moment they left, they held the 113-person-audience in the palm of their hand. Switching deftly back and forth from "death metal" to "heavy metal," THERION's set was a mesmerizing triumph of successfully mixing and executing several genres of metal into a brilliant performance. THERION treated us like we were a crowd of 5,000 people -- performing with ferocious energy, backed by the choir that sang as passionately as 1,000 angels. It was truly a sight to behold and a treat for the ears.

Initially, I was worried that the size of the stage and venue as well as the low turnout (which was to be expected since the promoting agency had basically thrown the show to the wolves long before THERION's bus crossed the Minnesota border) would dampen the spirits of the show and make the whole evening seem like left-over offerings of something better (or in my case, with Prog-Power right around the corner, of something better yet-to-come). However, the mark of a good band at least by my standards will be what they can do with what they are given and THERION made an unbelievable concert for a small group of very lucky fans!

So now that I've bored you all to tears with my retelling of last night's religious experience, here is what they actually played. Please note that I'm not the world's most reknowned Therion expert, so I'm just typing off the set-list as it appears -- if only part of a song title appears here, be so kind as to reply and fill in the rest of it.

THERION SET LIST: Minneapolis, September 6, 2005
1. Blood of Kingu (God, I was so hoping they would open with this!!! :headbang: )
2. Uthark Runa
3. Invocation of Namah
4. Baal Reginon
5. Black Sun
6. The Invincible
7. Typhon
8. Ginnungagap
9. Seven Secrets
10. Asgard
11. Riders of Theli (crowd went nuts here)
12. The Khlysti Evangelist (I went nuts here)
13. Wine of Aluqah
14. Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah

Encore

15. Cults of the Shadow
16. To Mega Therion

Obviously the glaring omission here is "Lemuria" but in all truth, I didn't miss it until afterwards as I was driving home listening to the CD, it suddenly dawned on me that they hadn't played it. Hopefully (as was the case with Edguy last year), the set-list will be extended for PP and we'll get a few extra treats.

I am SO PSYCHED for THERION's performance at PP now! What a great evening...

I've read a few setlists posted by various people on the official Therion forums and the setlist is about the same for all the shows but they switch out a song or two.

It's a pretty good setlist but I wish they would stick something like The Return, Asphyxiate With Fear, or Time Shall Tell from the first disc. Maybe something from the second, and my absolute favourite song from them, Nightside Of Eden off Theli.

Hopefully they'll get a slightly longer setlist for PP but I don't know.

I'm still very excited to see them and wish I was closer to one of the other cities so I would get to see them twice, but I'm closest to Atlanta.

BMAC -- Honestly, I didn't catch his name. The singer remained secluded until the bus was ready to leave. I talked extensively with the guitarist, bassist and a gorgeous blonde female member of the choir. As the bus was getting ready to leave, the singer finally appeared. I literally had time to tell him one sentence about how good the show was, he signed my set-list and away the bus went!

ZIMBEE -- Thanks!!! I cannot wait to see what they do in Atlanta with a bigger stage, better lights, more fans ... augh! :headbang:

I think that Therion is the least interesting band to play ProgPower this year. They will cause me physical pain with their music and will doubtless play to a minor, non-enthusiastic crowd. The fact that they utilize death metal vocals immediately relegates them to the realm of no-talents.

/sarcasm

The only Therion song I really, really like is Son of the Sun. Hope that one makes it in there.

I do like Blood of Kingu and a few others off Lemuria/Sirius B though, so their performance should at the very least not bore me.

I'm most interested to see how it works. I only have their last 2CD Lemuria/Sirius B, and while I like the songs - I'm not sure how well it'll be live.

They're more of the oddball band for me...=) So different compared to the others

I don't know much from Therion besides their latest cd(s)...but I'm looking forward to them more now than I had been. As Adaher said, I'd LOVE to hear Son of the Sun. I love the riff at the beginning, and can imagine how it'd sound live.

THE METAL INSURGENCE TOUR-2005

JON OLIVA'S PAIN (led by Savatage mastermind, Jon Oliva), BEYOND FEAR (w/ Tim "RIPPER" Owens: Ex Judas Priest and current Iced Earth vocalist), AND CHRIS CAFFERY'S FACES (Savatage, Trans Siberian Orchestra) kick off the first leg of this tour at the Cleveland House of Blues on Friday night, Sept 9th. Therion is also appearing as co-headliner. Fans can expect many surprises from all (4) bands including Jon Oliva's Pain resurrecting songs from the first (6) Savatage records. Tickets available at ticketmaster and the HOB's box office.

9/9: House of Blues:Cleveland- World Series of Metal with special guests Therion.
9/10: Mr. Kellys Music Club, Chicago (without JOP)
9/11: The Opera House: Toronto, Canada
9/13: Foufounes Electrique : Montreal, Canada
9/15: JAXX: Springfield, VA
9/16: The Brooklyn Music Terminal (formerly La'mours): NY City
9/17: The Pirates Den: Gloucester, NJ (without JOP)
9/23: Jannus Landing: St. Petersburg FL ( with 10 Second Drop)
9/24: Taboo Nightclub: Ft.Lauderdale ( formerly The Music Factory)

I think Therion will probably do a good live show, even though Im most definatley not a huge fan of their music. I thought Lemuria and Sirius B were pretty alright though..Typhon is a kickass song, SO glad they're playing it.

But do some songs sound too repetitive, or is it just me? I mean, I understand that if its a really catchy riff...but that organ in the beginning of Cult of the Shadows for instance..lol I just want to punch whoever is playing that. Therion is best described, IMO, as very original but very not catchy (in most instances).

I have actually grown to like their music and really looking forward to seeing them live. I like most of the songs that are on that setlist.

What about JOP, Chris Caffery in Atlanta on the 22 of September? It's listed on the Masquerade's website as them playing Thursday there with doors opening 7 pm

bmac said:
Question: Was Mats Leven the lead singer?

Yes, he definitely was. I was lucky enough to chat with him for awhile and he's a really cool guy. He talked about his time with Malmsteen and their tours through Japan. He did an amazing job with Therion. I imagine it's a fairly easy gig for him since he probably only sings about 50% of the time, if that.

I had never listened to Therion before they were announced for PP this year. So far I'm only familiar with Lemuria/Sirius B but I've grown to like it quite a bit. I'll have to try to track down some of the other material from the set list to give it a listen if I can. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed they're not playing Kali Yuga Parts 1 & 2 as those are probably my favorite tracks from Sirius B.