Thoughts on some new releases

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
Accuser - Diabolic

Their previous album, Dependent Domination (2011), is the first I have liked from these veteran thrashers since Double Talk in 1991. Unfortunately, Diabolic is a return to the boring, repetitive riffing that plagues most of the band's more recent output.

Device - s/t

I already posted about this. I am a Disturbed fan, and this really hits the spot.

Eloa Vadaath - Dead End Proclama

Proggy death with lots of violin. Reminds me of Unexpect at times, but Dead End Proclama is nowhere near the stratospheric level of music Unexpect occupies for me. Good stuff nonetheless.

Enforcer - Death by Fire

Another enjoyable retro traditional/speed metal effort from this anachronistic band.

Essence - Last Night of Solace

Well executed rethrash. Definitely some Kreator in the mix.

Exeloume - Return of the Nephilim EP

Four new tunes from this exciting new band. Their mix of classic thrash and Death continues to be extremely appealing on their latest offering.

Fallujah - Nomadic EP

Three tracks, two real songs, both of which display the same complex death with black metal touches that worked so well on their full-length debut, The Harvest Wombs (2011).

Harasai - Psychotic Kingdom

High energy, busy melodic death on this German band's sophomore full-length effort, and it is one of the better new releases in this crowded genre. Lots of hooks and great playing on this one. Now I need to track down their full-length debut, The I-Conception (2010).

Heaven's Basement - Filthy Empire

Hardcore Superstar with some Shinedown in the mix. Lots to like here for the hair metal/hard rock fan. Thanks for the tip, Pirage! Now I need to hear their previous EPs, Unbreakable (2011) and s/t (2008).

Hellbound - Through Hell and Muddy Waters

A Rob Zombie/White Zombie lovefest, though it is less industrial than those albums of the undead. Hellbound features Nils Norberg, the former Nocturnal Rites guitarist.

Helloween - Straight out of Hell

I liked the last two albums from Helloween, and this extends that streak to three releases. Weird.

Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Descent

I like their debut and love Alive or Just Breathing. Did not care for their albums without vocalist Jesse Leach. Now he's back, and I like em again. I enjoy his vocals well enough, but the main reason I am back on board is the improved songwriting. But, hey, I like Times of Grace as well, so maybe I am a Leach fanboy.

The Last Hangmen - Executing Empires

The sophomore effort from these German melodeath merchants is another winner for fans of this classic style.

Memory Garden - Doomain

I am not sure which Memory Garden albums I have heard in the past, but I know I never got into them. Doomain hooked me right away, however, so I guess I need to at least sample their older material again. I like the proggy touches and classic metal feel to Doomain, and I appreciate that the pace is rarely plodding. The vocals could be more compelling, but they are certainly more than adequate and fit the music well.

Nero di Marte - s/t

Gojira meets Gorguts, and I like it.

Neuronspoiler - Emergence

This was a pleasure to listen to. Riot often came to mind, along with some Maiden. Several folks here might dig this. The horribly cheesy 80s metal cover is also a plus. :)

Panikk - Unbearable Conditions

Bay Area rethrash from Slovenia. Chunky riffage and gang shouts - all a thrash fan could ever want.

Persefone - Spiritual Migration

An enjoyable comeback after the lackluster Shin-Ken (2009), Spiritual Migration is an epic progressive death opus that features less Opethian atmosphere and more aggressive widdly than ever before. This is a good thing for me.

Pretty Maids - Motherland

Upon first listen, this is not as excellent as Pandemonium (2010), but it still is quite catchy and fun.

Santa Cruz - Screaming for Adrenaline

This is the hair metal album to beat for 2013. Not a new classic or anything, but these Finnish (yep, a good hair band that is not from Sweden!) butt rockers sure know how to bring the 80s back to life.

Seris - Rises

Devomeister recommended this Colorado-based prog metal band. Cool female vocals and lots of fun, interesting music make this a winner.

Shining - One One One

I like Blackjazz (2010), and One One One seems to follow in that album's footsteps rather well. Lots of industrial metal touches and, of course, some psychotic sax breaks.

Soulless - In Death's Grip

Another solid effort from these thrashy death merchants from Ohio. Nice to hear from them again, as their previous effort, Forever Defiant, was released in 2007.

Todtgelichter - Apnoe

I recently got into Angst (2010), and I was looking forward to hearing what these hipster melodeathsters would come up with next. I was initially quite enthusiastic about Apnoe, but my excitement waned during the latter half of the disc, which is much mellower. Although, there is one mellow tune that would fit nicely on The Gathering - Nighttime Birds, which is cool. Another spin will help me decide on this one.

Warlord - The Holy Empire

This was a pleasant surprise. Most comeback offerings from veteran bands end up not being very noteworthy, but The Holy Empire features many highlights including impressive drumming from Mark Zonder, tasty melodic, yet certainly metallic enough guitarwork from William Tsamis, and compelling vocals from new guy Richard Anderson. Fans of traditional metal of yore definitely need to hear this one.

War-Saw - Nuclear Nightmare

Debut full-length from these Polish thrashers. Plenty of simple, catchy riffage for those of us who like such things.

The Wild Lies - Jack's out of the Box EP

Pirage recommended these guys, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to hear such kick ass hair metal, somewhat similar to the mighty Taking Dawn. Even the ballad is quite good! I want to hear more from these fine young gentlemen.

The Zenith Passage - Cosmic Dissonance EP

Brutal complex death from California with some deathcore elements. Worthwhile for genre fans.

DID NOT CARE FOR THESE

Anthrax - Anthems EP

Anthrax covering Rush, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Boston, Cheap Trick, and Journey. Anthrax's cover tunes have never been a big draw for me, but at least they metallicized songs like Antisocial and Got the Time. The tunes on Anthems sound just like the hard rock originals. Pointless.

Black Pyramid - Adversarial

Pirage mentioned this was quality traditional metal with some doom tendencies, so I checked it out. Nothing really grabbed me.

Ghost - Infestissumam

I don't care about the hype or their gimmick. I like their debut. I don't love it, but I enjoy the catchy ditties about Satan. This one did not grab me. Maybe the schtick is getting old. Maybe the songwriting is just not to my liking. It will be interesting to see how this sells.

1945 - Stunde Null

I like 1945's debut EP, Restless (2012), but Stunde Null did not leave much of an impression on me. Proggy djentrified tunes have to work hard to please me these days.

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

I love The Strength/The Sound/The Songs (2005). Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil (2007) pales in comparison to the debut, but it is still worthwhile. After that, Volbeat lost me. This latest effort has not won me back. It is cool King Diamond is a guest vocalist on such a popular band's album, but the song itself (Room 24) sounds like newer King mixed with newer Volbeat - hardly a winning combo.

Warbeast - Destroy

I like Krush the Enemy (2010), but this latest effort from the thrashers was rather uneventful for me.

OLDER RELEASES

Arcanum Sanctum - Veritas Odium Parit (2012)

Another find from Pirage, this is Russian thrashy melodeath mixed with a Children of Bodom vibe at times. Fun stuff.

Exist - In Mirrors EP (2010)

One for the Cynic fans. Lots of cool playing on this one on all instruments. A touch of djentiness, but nothing offensive. Death growls and clean vocals.

King Misfit - Under Ancient Ground (2011)

Thanks to Psychotic Symphony on PMRising for this one. This is described as prog metal, I guess in the way that Circus Maximus and Queensryche are prog metal. To me, this is an engaging melodic metal album. Whatever you call it, it has plenty of hooks for those who enjoy the lighter side of metal.

Lies of Smiles - Cross & Claw (2010)

Traditional metal from the UK in the vein of Martin-era Sabbath. Thanks for the find, Pirage! See, delving into older releases *is* worthwhile!

Syqem - Reflections of Elephants (2012)

Tesseract meets Protest the Hero. Almost all clean vocals, in case you wusses want to check it out.

Enforcer - Death by Fire

Another enjoyable retro traditional/speed metal effort from this anachronistic band.

I enjoyed some of this, but thought it was too speedy too often. Or maybe I mistake them with another band...

Heaven's Basement - Filthy Empire

Hardcore Superstar with some Shinedown in the mix. Lots to like here for the hair metal/hard rock fan. Thanks for the tip, Pirage! Now I need to hear their previous EPs, Unbreakable (2011) and s/t (2008).

This one needs more listens. I don't remember much of it.

Hellbound - Through Hell and Muddy Waters

A Rob Zombie/White Zombie lovefest, though it is less industrial than those albums of the undead. Hellbound features Nils Norberg, the former Nocturnal Rites guitarist.

I thought of Lordi at times while playing this. Not bad, needs more listens, even though the vox bugs me a bit of course.

Helloween - Straight out of Hell

I liked the last two albums from Helloween, and this extends that streak to three releases. Weird.

I'm the opposite. Like the latest ones, SOOH did nothing for me. Looks like I'm done with Helloween. The last one I really enjoyed was The Dark Ride. Since then, it's only a couple songs per album.

Memory Garden - Doomain

I am not sure which Memory Garden albums I have heard in the past, but I know I never got into them. Doomain hooked me right away, however, so I guess I need to at least sample their older material again. I like the proggy touches and classic metal feel to Doomain, and I appreciate that the pace is rarely plodding. The vocals could be more compelling, but they are certainly more than adequate and fit the music well.

They'll never be my fave band, but this the one I enjoy the most.

Neuronspoiler - Emergence

This was a pleasure to listen to. Riot often came to mind, along with some Maiden. Several folks here might dig this. The horribly cheesy 80s metal cover is also a plus. :)

I enjoyed that one. Need to relisten though.

Pretty Maids - Motherland

Upon first listen, this is not as excellent as Pandemonium (2010), but it still is quite catchy and fun.

Took me a couple listens before truly get into it, but now love it. Maybe not as great as Pandemonium overall, but excellent.

Santa Cruz - Screaming for Adrenaline

This is the hair metal album to beat for 2013. Not a new classic or anything, but these Finnish (yep, a good hair band that is not from Sweden!) butt rockers sure know how to bring the 80s back to life.

Liked it but need more listens.

Warlord - The Holy Empire

This was a pleasant surprise. Most comeback offerings from veteran bands end up not being very noteworthy, but The Holy Empire features many highlights including impressive drumming from Mark Zonder, tasty melodic, yet certainly metallic enough guitarwork from William Tsamis, and compelling vocals from new guy Richard Anderson. Fans of traditional metal of yore definitely need to hear this one.

Never was into them and 2 listens of this one did nothing for me.

The Wild Lies - Jack's out of the Box EP

Pirage recommended these guys, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to hear such kick ass hair metal, somewhat similar to the mighty Taking Dawn. Even the ballad is quite good! I want to hear more from these fine young gentlemen.

Thought it was OK.

Anthrax - Anthems EP

Anthrax covering Rush, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Boston, Cheap Trick, and Journey. Anthrax's cover tunes have never been a big draw for me, but at least they metallicized songs like Antisocial and Got the Time. The tunes on Anthems sound just like the hard rock originals. Pointless.

I like 3 or 4 songs from this. Belladonna does a fine job on most of them, save maybe for the Rush song where he struggles a bit.

Ghost - Infestissumam

I don't care about the hype or their gimmick. I like their debut. I don't love it, but I enjoy the catchy ditties about Satan. This one did not grab me. Maybe the schtick is getting old. Maybe the songwriting is just not to my liking. It will be interesting to see how this sells.

Didn't really get into the first one. Tried this one and it's not really for me either.

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

I love The Strength/The Sound/The Songs (2005). Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil (2007) pales in comparison to the debut, but it is still worthwhile. After that, Volbeat lost me. This latest effort has not won me back. It is cool King Diamond is a guest vocalist on such a popular band's album, but the song itself (Room 24) sounds like newer King mixed with newer Volbeat - hardly a winning combo.

I like all Vobeat albums. I think I even prefer the last 3 ones over the first ones. Killer band for me. Room 24 rules.

King Misfit - Under Ancient Ground (2011)

Thanks to Psychotic Symphony on PMRising for this one. This is described as prog metal, I guess in the way that Circus Maximus and Queensryche are prog metal. To me, this is an engaging melodic metal album. Whatever you call it, it has plenty of hooks for those who enjoy the lighter side of metal.

I enjoyed this.

Lies of Smiles - Cross & Claw (2010)

Traditional metal from the UK in the vein of Martin-era Sabbath. Thanks for the find, Pirage! See, delving into older releases *is* worthwhile!

Liked it quite a bit, but was disappointed the album only has 6 actual songs.