My Thoughts on the ProgPower XVI Lineup

It's obvious that it's click bait for his site.

Actually, it's not at all. This is just someone new, from outside of this "group", a newbie coming in trying to find his place and share some thoughts and opinions. This is kind of the reaction I was thinking I would get here to be honest. I'm not a huge prog person. Never have been but I'm trying to expand and just take some new things in.

As for my site, I'm just an opinionated metal fan and have been doing this site for over 5 years now. I love doing it and it's a lot of fun and it's a way for me to share my experiences, opinions, and thoughts on the metal that I take in. This wasn't my EXPERT opinion by any means. If you read what I said, it was my THOUGHTS solely based on the video that was released. It was just something fun for me to try and do.

Finally, what I have to say I love about the comments so far are the strong opinions of the fans of these bands. That is awesome and THAT is what I love. Call me names, call me stupid, whatever. Those comments are just dumb and carry no weight but it's the ones that told me, "Check this out, check this era out, etc" that I take in and will use so thank you all for that.

And one more thing, again, I've been in ATlanta for 5 years. I've never been to a ProgPower because let's face it, not everyone can afford to drop that kind of money on a concert series and honestly, I just didn't feel moved to ever really go because I just wasn't ready. So now I am and I"m REALLY looking forward to meeting a lot of you all, talking to you all, and seeing some great bands. So instead of hating the fact that I've never been, why not be psyched for me that I"m about to have my first experience? Isn't that what it's all about?

Thanks y'all!
The Brainfart :headbang:

Falconer

So this band seems to be getting a lot of praise from the PPUSA crowd but I’m just not feeling this band. They sound so drab and just kind of unexciting. The vocals are just so plain and just unmoving as is the music. Again, maybe this wasn’t the best choice of a preview song but these guys might be one that end up passing on. I’ll give them a chance but this may be when I make my beer and merch run on Friday night.

I'm going to fix this for you. Right now.

And if they still don't turn out to be your thing, that's fine, but if you continue to dis my boys after, you and I will have to fight after school by the flag pole. :p

Their 'death/doom' era is 20 years ago, doesn't matter in the year 2014. This is like using 'Of Darkness' as the baseline for modern day-Therion.

Whiney Anathema is better than death/doom Anathema anyway.

The point I was making is that the OP is clueless about Anathema, I bet he is completely unaware of that era of the band.

By the way the Silent Enigma is one of Anathema's best albums

I didn't do any research before my first PP. When I attended my second, I listened to at least one release from every band, multiple times, as prep work. As a result, I became a fan of some bands that didn't immediately grab my ear.

I'd recommend listening to "I Am the Revolution" disc by Voyager and the s/t by Falconer before you write them off.

I didn't do any research before my first PP. When I attended my second, I listened to at least one release from every band, multiple times, as prep work. As a result, I became a fan of some bands that didn't immediately grab my ear.

I'd recommend listening to "I Am the Revolution" disc by Voyager and the s/t by Falconer before you write them off.

I'm on it! Thanks for the head's up!

BrainFart...didn't think I'd be typing that today! :lol: You say that you've never really been into prog music, so fair enough. Actually, there are a fair number of people that attend the festival each year that aren't really into prog that much either. With that said, since you're new here, tell us some of your favorite bands. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

~Brian~

My favorite Voyager album is The Meaning of I. I recommend anyone who is not familiar with their work to listen to that start to finish. First time I did I was hooked.

Um, ok, here we got. Another diarehea of the fingers prog band. The minute this song kicked I n I just rolled my eyes. Yay you! You can play all the notes. So much notes. Wow. Much fast. Such playings. Oh, there are vocals? Well, after hearing them, I could totally do without this. This might be a beer run for me.
Nice job insulting a whole genre.

Just an FYI - these "diarehea of the fingers prog band(s)" are the main reason I go to PP.

They say prog bands dont sell tickets (and maybe its because of attitudes like this). But I am one of those prog fans that would consider going for just ONE band like this - regardless of the other rest of the roster (See: PPII & Spiral Architect).

So yeah, your opinion is awesome.

Hmmm. Let me see. You're a big metal fan...you live in Atlanta...and you've never been to Prog Power USA.

WHAP!!!!

That's me slapping the fool out of you.

You never know what goes on in people's lives. Maybe he couldn't attend for some reason he doesn't wish to discuss here.

I'll give a generic but positive comment on the 2015 lineup. I'm thinking this is a very strong lineup with very talented musicians. Every band listed is one I would want to see. Glenn will have another successful festival on his hands. Way to go Glenn!

It's funny, during the announcement video I was like "meh." I got home and was telling a buddy that I was kinda disappointed in the lineup. Then I actually read him the list of bands and I was like "that's an AMAZING lineup!" I don't know if I was just out of it during the video or what. But I predict a hugely successful fest, and I am personally looking forward to every single band.

A big HELL-OH from Austria (Europe)... I´ll come to PP next year - for the forst time ever, but then... Austria is not just around the corner.. Can´t wait to meet you metalheads! And concerning the band announced recently - well, I´m one of the "because Falconer"- party :)

Frankly? Because you rub people the wrong way.

~Jen

That was totally not my intent. I just came by to share my opinion just to see what others would say or even challenge me with to try and listen to these bands. I totally get that my writing style isn't for everyone and I'm sorry if it came across in a bad way (wasn't meant for that). I did feel like there were some great comments which have totally inspired me to dig deeper into Falconer, give a deeper listen to Anathema, and whatnot. I'm super pumped to attend next year, if anything, to just take in a lot of music I know little about (sans Anubis Gate who I love already).

I'm really digging a lot of the content of this board as a whole as well btw.

Sorry if I rubbed everyone the wrong way.

BrainFart...didn't think I'd be typing that today! :lol: You say that you've never really been into prog music, so fair enough. Actually, there are a fair number of people that attend the festival each year that aren't really into prog that much either. With that said, since you're new here, tell us some of your favorite bands. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

~Brian~

I've always been a huge fan of NWOBHM/Classic Metal bands (Maiden, Saxon, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Grim Reaper, May Blitz, Captain Beyond, Black Sabbath

I'm a huge of the more current psychedellic/stoner (hate that term) metal like Kadavar, Blues Pills, Jess & The Ancient Ones, Graveyard, Danava, Purson, Gypsyhawk, etc)

I love the modern metal bands doing a very old school sound like Holy Grail, Bonded by Blood, Christian Mistress, Jorn Lande, etc.

ON the proggy spectrum, I'm a huge classic (tate/degarmo era) Queensryche, Fates Warning (amazing show last year), Powerglove, some Dream Theater, and I LOVE the last two Anubis Gates albums. I not a huge fan of their albums but I love Symphony X live. Huge Russell Allen fan and I love the Allen/Lande stuff. Epica is the same way. I enjoy them live very much so but not so much on album. Sabaton is awesome and one of my favorite live shows this year.

Hope that covers some ground. I mean, I do obviously like some "prog" bands but prog is not really a genre i ever spent too much time diving deep into if that makes sense.