Top 50 Discs of 2014

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Welcome to the Top 50 of 2014 list! There may be another month left, but I have received essentially all of the unreleased discs for this year I’m interested in (except for the new Angra that I know would have made the list!). I encourage you to take your time with sampling all of the music below. I guarantee you missed a few gems along the way. You get my honest thoughts on the releases that caught my interest this past year across numerous heavy rock/metal genres.

Disclaimer:

a. This list caters to my personal taste, not the full spectrum of metal genres. If you are looking for tons of avante garde, doom, black metal, whateverthefuckcore metal, or anything like that…move along…nothing to see here.
b. I do not rank albums based on pure musical instrumentation ability or sonic clarity. While I fully believe technical chops demonstrate musical superiority in many aspects, I also think it is just as hard to write a *good* hook that draws a listener back again and again. Furthermore, a passionate vocal delivery that adds emotional depth to the lyrics wins out over power/range every time.
c. There is no right or wrong to this list. Music is a subjective listening experience. My opinion is no more valid than yours if we are on opposite sides of the fence.
d. I do not listen to every single release. If your favorite disc did not make the list, I may simply not have heard it…or I could have thought it sucked.
e. Keep in mind a highly ranked disc in any genre may not make the list. For example, the 10th best power metal disc of the year is not there. It’s still a great record, but there are only so many overall slots.
f. I may have simply forgotten a release. I reserve the right to insert a disc into the list at any time. It happens every year.

Drumroll…..

50. Bouncing the Ocean- Going Nowhere: Melodic prog with an obvious nod to the space vibe of Pagan’s Mind. I really wish the vocals were a bit smoother overall, but a very promising debut. Plus, check out the nerd name of the tune below. That’s simply outstanding.

49. Seven Impale: City of the Sun- Eclectic Norwegian prog that runs the spectrum from jazz to post-rock to whatever in-between. Honestly, it’s the awesome sax that draws me in as it’s used in a similar manner as Ihsahn, but much more prevalent. It’s just a nice fucked-up disc that will give you instant credibility in the prog snobbery world when you apply for your license.

48. The Oneira- Hyperconscious: Prog rock that is 50% instrumental. It’s some of the warmest and fuzziest prog shredding I have heard in ages. I love the “guest” vocalist and wish he sang on the entire thing.

47. Gormathon- Following the Beast: I realize that I have absolutely no credibility when it comes to judging melodic death metal. I just like what I like. Sauramon growls like a motherfucker.

46. Sister Sin- Black Lotus: I have noticed a pattern with my enjoyment of female vocal driven bands. I prefer the raspy, ballsy approach over the opera or silk smooth variety. Hell, I don’t even think Liv really sings much here. Classic, kick-ass metal with punchy hooks.

45. Brainstorm- Firesoul: Nice return to form from Andy & that gang. It’s the same Teutonic power style that we have come to expect from them, but the songs are just better this time around. This is not a band I ask to re-invent the wheel.

44. In Search of Sun- The World is Yours: If you only listen to a few seconds, you would think it’s just another modern rock band. However, things really start to diverge the longer you hang in there. Best part is that you probably expect a whiny, emo bastard on vocals or some ‘core bullshit’ with this type of music. Nope.

43. Nightingale- Retribution: I’m honestly not sure how I want to classify this (lounge prog? goth rock? Heavy AoR?). Regardless, Dan’s smoooooooooooooth vocals will always keep me coming back. This probably would have climbed higher had I spent more time with it.

42. Divine Ascension- Liberator: This was a very late entry into the list. They are not re-inventing the symphonic power genre, but this is so polished compared to the debut. I do prefer the heavier tracks, as that tends to separate them even further from the pack. Jennifer’s vocals are outstanding.

41. Split Bearing- Welcome to the Present: Ten years ago, we were bitching that there were too many bands that tried to sound like Dream Theater. Today, it’s hard to find a true DT clone. Look no further. The vocals are bit uneven in his lower range (plus the accent). However, when he goes into Labrie mode (breathy delivery and all), he shines.

40. Lords of Black- Lords of Black: Fantastic new crunchy, power metal from Spain. Fans of Helker need to check this out….now. It’s one of the best debuts of the year.

39. Sanctuary- The Year the Sun Died: I’ll admit I was unrealistically hoping for “Battle Angels: The Sequel.” I then figured the title was actually referring to when the disc was going to be released after the original recording announcement. It may sound like a Warrel solo disc, but it was worth the wait.

38. Adrian Vandenburg’s Moonkings- Moonkings: A hybrid of Zepplin & Shinedown with vocals just as fantastic as Adrian’s guitar leads. I would normally post a rocking song, but this ballad is simply gorgeous.

37. IQ- The Road of Bones: People have been referring to IQ as “neo-prog” for ages. I don’t know what the fuck that really is to be honest. All I know is that this is a great prog rock disc for us fans that don’t dip our wick in that old man genre often.

36. Black Fate- Between Visions & Lies: Let’s be brutally honest. If you weren’t blown away by how close the vocals mimic Khan, then you are either deaf or attend the First Church of Khan (“There can be only one!”). If you are going to going to play a Kamelot/Conception style to go with those vocals, you had better bring your “A” game with the melodies. They did.

35. Gamma Ray- Empire of the Undead: This is truly the successor to “Land of the Free.” “Avalon” is the best song they have released in ages.

34. Ne Oblivscaris- Citadel: I don’t get the hype. I have seen them proclaimed the saviors of progressive death metal and apparent heir to Opeth. I’m still not ready to throw rose petals at their feet yet, but it’s a great disc. The guy plays a mean fiddle.

33. Delain- The Human Contradiction: Delain have really honed their songwriting chops and have taken it to the next level while the rest of this genre has collapsed (save a few exceptions). This release may be my favorite from them yet. Authors’ note- My wife was not looking over my shoulder as I typed this.

32. Falconer- Black Moon Rising: Mathias Blad’s vocals + power metal= One hell of a unique combination. I have to admit the riffing surprised me a bit on this once. I wish I had a link to “Age of Runes.”

31. With Our Arms to the Sun- A Far Away Wonder: Atmospheric and essentially instrumental, this release just clicks with me in the dark with a glass of wine & headphones. The metal moments aren’t extensive, but the fucked up Pink Floydian vibe makes up for it.

30. Eluvite- Origins: Only the strongest have survived the great folk metal overload purge. My devotion to their hurdy gurdy remains strong.

29. Vanden Plas- Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld: I have impossibly high standards when it comes to Vanden Plas. It’s not fair to the band. They have been so good for so long that I expect a masterpiece every time out. I wish I could call it that this time. That said, it’s a testament to how great this band is for me to whine and bitch, yet they still place this high.

28. Behemoth- The Satanist: Look, everyone likes to relax every now and then and sling a few goats. A chalice of blood & naked chicks helps ease the tension.

27. Threshold- For the Journey: After all these years, they remain at an elite level similar to Vanden Plas. As much as I love everything about this disc, I’m always going to be hoping for another “Pilot in the Sky of Dreams.” “The Box” doesn’t quite reach those heights, but it comes close. I wonder what Uncle Si thinks of the beard?

26. Anubis Gate- Horizons: Their winning streak continues with what I refer to as “textured prog.” The complexity of this disc is not in your face, but subtle with layers upon layers. Listen to this with headphones on so you can pick out the individual pieces you missed the first time you heard it on your main system.

25. Amoral- Fallen Leaves & Dead Sparrows: I believe I described this as Circus Maximus with an edge when I first heard it. I’ll stand by that based on the vocal delivery and overall guitar tone as well. I’m predicting they take it to the next level with their next record now that the word is getting out.

24. Veni Domine- Light: It took me months before I truly appreciated this disc for what it is, instead of what it is not. I just wanted them to cut loose on at least one damn track a la “Fall Babylon Fall.” They never do though, as the beautiful melancholy dominates. *That* voice though….cold chills.

23. Septic Flesh- Titan: The Prague Philharmonic addition turns this into a masterpiece of orchestral death metal. Hell, the remixed, deathless bonus tracks are worth the purchase alone. Even if you have an aversion to manliness, at least check out this amazing track:

22. Elvenking- The Pagan Manifesto: Am I the only one that didn’t believe the band had another album as strong as this in them? I think it surprised the most staunch of power metal fans. This is a huge return to form.

21. Red Circuit- Haze of Nemisis: In many ways, elements of this disc are what I believe Vanden Plas is missing. Instead of the theater, they bring the *crunch.* Chitty’s vocal bite continues to contrast nicely with the warm melodies. This song rules:

20. Savage Messiah- The Fateful Dark: Thrashy, dark power metal with hooks galore. Listen to this fat riff during the chorus at the 1:25 mark and try to keep your neck still.

19. Epica- The Quantum Enigma: It has everything I want on a disc from them. Hell, it may just be my favorite release of their entire discography. They remain the quintessential beauty and the beast band.

18. Vanishing Point- Distant is the Sun: Melodic metal with keys that give it just a tad of a prog flavor. It had a surprising amount of staying power over the first half of the year as it was in the car rotation that I just couldn’t bring myself to replace. The Evergrey moments obviously help bolster their case with me as well.

17. Striker- City of Gold: Holy shit, this vocalist is a monster. He wails like a pissed off Rob Rock. It’s one of the top vocal performances this year. Oh yeah…the rest is old-school, classic metal that every fan of Impelletteri should own.

16. Insomnium- Shadows of the Dying Sun: Another melodic death metal disc makes the list. WTF?! Crazy year. Actually, the Amorphis elements are what really draws me in.

15. Triosphere- The Heart of the Matter: Ida is my favorite female vocalist these days. There is just a raw passion about her vocals that gives me chills. While a bit more tempo variation would have taken this from great to fanfuckingtastic, there are still some amazing riffs (The Sentinel! everywhere).

14. Scar Symmetry- The Singularity (Phase 1 -Neohumanity): I have a hard time calling them melodic death metal anymore because I don’t focus on the growls due to the strong melody. This sci-fi concept actually has a bit of a prog feel in scope. Bounce on this chorus, bitches!

13. Monte Pittman- The Power of Three: Who knew that Madonna’s guitarist was such a badass? This is a totally diverse disc that offers a blend of modern metal, King’s X, Prong, and even some Alice in Chains at times.

12. Sabaton- Heroes: For me, Sabaton is always about the chorus and hook. I want to bounce up & down, see my enemies driven before me, hear the laminations of their women, and sing along with every chorus. It’s right behind the “The Art of War.” You cannot start an album out better than “Night Witches.”

11. Daydream XI- The Grand Disguise: Symphony X & DGM fans…stop what you are doing and listen. This is exactly what you are looking for. The 23+ minute opus will have you pining for the days of “Divine Wings.”

10. Distorted Harmony- Chain Reaction: This band wins the award for the greatest improvement between releases by a million miles. In other words, it shocked the hell out of me. It has that modern prog flair, but so, so much more.

9. Flaming Row- Mirage- A Portrayal of Figures: Heavy prog rock concept album with about 5,000 different guests. I can honestly say that all it took was the 16 minute tune to make me a huge fan. That song takes so many different twists and turns that it will make your head spin. However, they blend it so seamlessly…ragtime, carnival, space rock, Celtic, heavy riffing, …the list goes on and on.

8. Overkill- White Devil Armory: I am one of the heretics that enjoy the new Overkill just as much as the old Overkill. One of my issues with most of their release is there was always a few fillers I skipped . None here. “Bitter Pill” is a song of the year contender.

7. Voyager- V: It seems like Australia is a hotbed of prog lately. Voyager’s unique blend of prog metal & 80’s British pop continues to amaze. There simply isn’t another band out there that sounds like this. That is the highest compliment you can give a prog band. That said, Symphony X & Spock’s Beard are both still pissed at whoever came up with the title.

6. Alestorm- Sunset on the Golden Age: Look, sometimes I just want to get drunk and have a good time. Screw being serious and screw analyzing technical chops. Just drink and sing. I offer a tip of pirate’s hat to them for the ballsy, “Hangover” cover.

5. Xerath- III: A bombastic hybrid of Devin Towsend’s wall of sound, death metal, & symphonic overload. I would have ranked it even higher if those vocals hadn’t worn me the hell out by the end of the disc.

4. Anathema- Distant Satellites: My love affair with recent Anathema is no secret. I connect with their lyrics on an emotional level like no other band. This doesn’t reach the level of “Weather Systems,” but it comes close.

3. Need- Orvam- A Song for Home: There is nothing like a powerful and sophisticated emotional punch in my music. That comes in spades from the passionate vocal delivery of Jon V. The other ass-kicking comes from incredibly dark songwriting and fantastic musicianship of all involved. Modern-day Fates Warning fans should have been all over this.

2. Dynazty- Renatus: Simply put, it’s the catchiest disc of the year. In my best FM radio voice…”all killer…no filler.” It stomps on the melodic metal gas pedal from the first note and never lets up. “Starlight” is a prime example of brilliant songwriting. It was the tune I went to in the gym the most to help me kick it up a notch.

1. Evergrey- Hymns for the Broken: I wrote a 2,000 word essay on their last release. This time, I will simply tell you that I smiled all the way through this disc with chill bumps all over. “The Grand Collapse” is everything I love about Evergrey.

YouTube playlist with all 50 albums

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Great list! I have 5 of your top 10 in my top 10 also, and the top 3 are in my top 5. Evergrey destroyed all others with the new disc! Need was an amazing find early in the year (and no, I don't hear Ray Alder similarities...I tried to find 'em). Dynazty came out and totally stunned me with their improvement from the last disc. Voyager has me "Hyperventilating"...I'm just starting to dig into their stuff for 2015! Overkill & Distorted Harmony are the other two new ones in my top 10. I would add Cage The Gods, Vandenberg's Moonkings and Cea Serin into my top 10 and Sanctuary belongs there as well! Alestorm ...Poopdeck was just given a spin last night while at work, and we laughed about the lyrics...fun band but not one I will listen to much.

So many things on your list I have to check out yet! I'm familiar with a lot of your list, but many of them are on a song by song basis and not entire disc, so there is work to do!

I counted thirteen I have with four I haven't listened to yet (Ne Obliviscaris is in the mail). That's probably about the usual since power metal is not at all my thing. But there's always quite a few every year from the descriptions that I will check out and end up buying. Need, Evergrey, Threshold, and of course Anathema would also be in my top 10 if I came up with a list. Sanctuary would be much higher for me and in the top 10. Love the Epica and liked Behemoth and Overkill too. Need to get around to listening to Distorted Harmony, Vanden Plas, and Insomnium which I have.

I counted thirteen I have with four I haven't listened to yet (Ne Obliviscaris is in the mail). That's probably about the usual since power metal is not at all my thing. But there's always quite a few every year from the descriptions that I will check out and end up buying. Need, Evergrey, Threshold, and of course Anathema would also be in my top 10 if I came up with a list. Sanctuary would be much higher for me and in the top 10. Love the Epica and liked Behemoth and Overkill too. Need to get around to listening to Distorted Harmony, Vanden Plas, and Insomnium which I have.

I was going to do a recap of my awesome year in music, but after reading your thorough and comprehensive list it would be like offering some someone a HoHo after they had wedding cake. Anything I write would be severely inferior and grossly inadequate.

Now, thank you big time for introducing me to Monte Pittman. I've heard two tunes now and I'm floored. What a talent.

Even though completely unnecessary, I have to back up Glen on Need and Dynazty. Orvam is simply the best album I've heard in maybe a decade. Every part of it hits me where it's needed. I don't think since Redemption's Fullness of Time have I enjoyed every track on an album like this. Dynazty completely took me by surprise. I know a lot of people think they are too busy and maybe overproduced. They are a difficult band to describe as they transcend a lot of sub-genres. I guess mix TNT with Takara and a coked-out Royal Hunt. They will blow heads off next year, guaranteed.

The Oneira basically sounds like Everon, especially on the two songs that Oliver does leads on. I agree that I wished he sang on all of them.

Damn. I thought I was having a good year keeping up but it seems I have a lot of ground to cover. As always, many appreciations for helping to keep me on the front edge of the music I so love.

I don't think it's heretical to like newer Overkill at all. They've been on a fucking roll with...like, the last four or five they've come out with!

There are some on here that I haven't listen to yet that pique my interest based on their description. Right now, I'm kicking myself that I haven't listened to that Black Fate band...the Khan comparison is spot on! They even seem to have his sense of vocal melody as well! And if you're going to also say that the Dynazty disc is as good as I've heard others say...maybe I need to listen to that as well. Goddamn, what a cheesy band name though!

A fun read as always. We have six titles in common this year (so far):

Sister Sin- Black Lotus
In Search of Sun- The World is Yours
Sanctuary- The Year the Sun Died
Triosphere- The Heart of the Matter
Need- Orvam- A Song for Home
Dynazty- Renatus

This is still in my queue from earlier. Samples sounded good.

Divine Ascension- Liberator

I tried a few albums from your post. These two have joined my queue. Thanks.

Flaming Row- Mirage- A Portrayal of Figures
Split Bearing- Welcome to the Present

I enjoy a good number from your list, my faves being:

Dynazty
Lords Of Black
Threshold
Evergrey
Vandenberg's Moonkings
Sabaton
Red Circuit
Triosphere

No love for the Jaded Heart-Fight The System? One of my faves of the year.
Or for the Accept, Primal Fear, Grand Magus and Riot V?

Guillaume

Always look forward to this post. Only ten down from the top and already found a few new gems I am digging including #50. Love it. Curious as to your thoughts on the new POTF. I know you are a fan, and I was really happy with their latest effort. Looking forward to heading down the list. Black Fate is already on its way. If one did not know the name of the band, one would have to assume its a new Khan project. What a dead ringer!

My faves....

Dynazty- Renatus(BY FAR)
Insomnium- Shadows of the Dying Sun
Unisonic - Light Of Dawn
Lords of Black- Lords of Black
Eluveitie- Origins
Riot - Unleash The Fire
Voyager- V
Delain- The Human Contradiction
Threshold- For the Journey
Evergrey- Hymns for the Broken
Daydream XI- The Grand Disguise
Sabaton- Heroes
Scar Symmetry- The Singularity (Phase 1 -Neohumanity)
Triosphere- The Heart of the Matter
Epica- The Quantum Enigma
Savage Messiah- The Fateful Dark
Falconer- Black Moon Rising
Gamma Ray- Empire of the Undead
At THe Gates - At War With Reality
Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out