Tour Announcement: WHITE WIZZARD, ICARUS WITCH, WIDOW

I understand the statement and it is usually a generalizing type statement. Of course everyone reallize there are at time money issues or whatever; but let's be honest her, most of the time these are just excuses for being fuckin lazy. Or the fact that some people just have not heard the right people say Widow is a good band so they should go out and see them. 'Ok I'm not going on with this because now I'm starting to think of people and the reasoning behind not going to shows, etc and well I might get mean.

As usual, I'm late to making a post on last Saturday's show. Despite the low turnout and the absence of Widow, the show was great! The bands really gave it their all, and the sound at Mojoe's was easily the best it's ever been. I only wish that the sound was that clear for the times that I saw Firewind, Lynch Mob, Iced Earth, Ragnarokkr, and Rhapsody Of Fire there!

As Joan and Jason had already pointed out, the big surprise for me was Icarus Witch. I didn't hold back at all when I saw this band open for Paul Di'Anno two years ago. I absolutely hated them that night. It's amazing what a major lineup change will do for a band! It was like hearing an entirely different band. Granted, this new album is a complete 180 from what they've previously done, so that helped as well. Their new material is much more memorable, and the new singer is definitely easier on the ears.

On a side note, I made a point of watching some live footage of the band with their old singer on Youtube, and it was a lot better than what I saw two years ago. I must have seen an "off night." Admittedly, that singer's attitude toward the audience that night didn't do much to win me over.

Moving on, White Wizzard was as awesome as I expected them to be. This was the third time I've seen them, and it was also the third lineup I've seen. I really hope Jon can keep this lineup intact, as it's easily the best one since the formation of the band. The new singer sounds excellent, and I love the dynamic between the two guitarists. I'm convinced that Jake Dreyer is going to be the next big guitar hero. Within the next five years, we'll be talking about him on this forum just like we do about Jeff Loomis and Gus G. It must also be noted that the drummer played his heart out despite the fact that he was battling some monstrous food poisoning that night. To put it simply, this band totally rocked!

Milton, I was really hoping for a better turnout in Joliet for you, but you couldn't have asked for more professional bands to put on tour together. I understand how difficult it can be to book a tour like this, and I know you've done your best. I wish you continued success as you forge ahead.

Bob, I have to touch upon the discussion between you and Joan. When it comes to city dwellers leaving Chicago to attend concerts, you really are the exception to the rule. I think you took Joan's comment too personally. The truth is that a lot of folks who live in the city refuse to come out to the suburbs to see shows. We suburbanites may bitch and moan about going into the city to see the bands we like, but we still go. As for Joan's attendance of shows being based on my own attendance, I'll just say that Joan has a mind of her own. It's not as if I drag her out to concerts. I just happen to be at more shows without her because I'm more interested in the respective bands that I see. A lot of the bands that Joan really wants to see don't really come around here. ProgPower is the one show where she's guaranteed to see a decent amount of the bands that she enjoys. It's that simple.

On a final note, I hope the guys in Icarus Witch can recover their losses swiftly. This sort of thing is happening too often lately. My best wishes go out to them!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Is it just me or does the new vocalist from Icarus Witch sound like a young Ted Poley?

He does, and I like it. Here's my favorite song of the new album, done live at their warmup gig in PA before the tour...

On a side note, another show with excellent attendance last night. Thanks to everyone who came to Toronto, over 100 paid folks plus guests, etc... Buffalo tonight and NYC tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces there! \m/

Last edited by a moderator:
based on the attendance numbers being talked about here is the Albany, NY area out of the question? A tour has to go pretty near here to get from upstate to NJ/NYC? Anything outside of the Albany area that bands usually hit means at least a 1 1/2 hour drive - not always an easy option.

I'm convinced that Jake Dreyer is going to be the next big guitar hero. Within the next five years, we'll be talking about him on this forum just like we do about Jeff Loomis and Gus G.
This. He is an amazing player.

The whole line up was really strong. Especially with Dark Empire at the NYC show, it was just a great tour package. Congrats Milt.

Thanks Zod, and thanks to everyone who came down last night. I'm very happy with the turnout and happy with every single band that was involved.

Dark Empire played a real fun set. I think the band is super tight live and their new singer (Brian) sounds incredible. That being said, in my opinion (and being completely honest all bias aside), Brian needs to work on his stage presence a bit.

Widow are my brothers and they really surprised a lot of people. Just pure metal fun. Great set. Lots of new fans.

Icarus Witch are pros. Great new singer, and these guys deserve to get to the next level. New album will definitely put them in the spotlight.

White Wizzard... what is there to say? All of the bad rep I had gotten in the past about them is bullshit. Jon is a class-act guy, great to work with and very down to Earth. Kudos to everyone.

I'm so proud of this package it's not even funny...

Thanks Zod, and thanks to everyone who came down last night. I'm very happy with the turnout and happy with every single band that was involved.

Dark Empire played a real fun set. I think the band is super tight live and their new singer (Brian) sounds incredible. That being said, in my opinion (and being completely honest all bias aside), Brian needs to work on his stage presence a bit.

Widow are my brothers and they really surprised a lot of people. Just pure metal fun. Great set. Lots of new fans.

Icarus Witch are pros. Great new singer, and these guys deserve to get to the next level. New album will definitely put them in the spotlight.

White Wizzard... what is there to say? All of the bad rep I had gotten in the past about them is bullshit. Jon is a class-act guy, great to work with and very down to Earth. Kudos to everyone.

I'm so proud of this package it's not even funny...

Milton you should be proud, you did a great job. Dark Empire had a blast playing with all those bands last night. The talent on this tour is undeniable!

Milton you should be proud, you did a great job. Dark Empire had a blast playing with all those bands last night. The talent on this tour is undeniable!

Thanks man, you guys did a great job and the growls sounded good despite the fact you were sick. I'm glad you enjoyed everyone on the lineup. I agree with you, the talent on the tour is undeniable. I'm indeed so proud of this one.

Everyone said last night was the best show of the tour. I was at the show last night. Even though I'm in CT, NY shows are kind of my "hometown" shows. Needless to say, it was very special.

It was a fun show. I am not really familiar with these bands so didn't know what to expect. I think I missed first band or two. Widow was the most fun band there IMHO. Loved the fast and slick NWOBHM style guitaring. Reminded me of Wolf, the Swedish band or Tokyo Blade.
White Wizzard has a polished act. The young gun guitarist with the flying V delivered the goods as promised. Lots of energy and flying hair.
some vids:
Widow
http://youtu.be/O3evSp4ZYZ0?hd=1
Icarus
http://youtu.be/PqHLhUvfCC0?hd=1
White Wizzard
http://youtu.be/P3VpJwvlRfI?hd=1
http://youtu.be/9DiHi60IPow?hd=1

Saw this show last night in Allentown, PA. Very small crowd. Widow was the best IMO. White Wizzard sounded great but Widow gave the best overall performance and I don't even know much of their material. Icarus Witch was OK- I was not overly impressed.....

To be honest, I expected last night and tonight's shows to be the absolute smallest on the tour. Two days to recharge the batteries, and then 3 shows that could possibly be among the best... Richmond, Raleigh and Atlanta.

Hopefully you guys close by will try to make it. :)

MYSTIC1, thank you for coming and supporting the show. :)

Widow was the best IMO. White Wizzard sounded great but Widow gave the best overall performance and I don't even know much of their material. Icarus Witch was OK- I was not overly impressed.....
Interesting take. A bit more of a take on the NYC show...

Dark Empire - I really love the new disc, and the new vocalist. The band was tight, but the sound was muddled. The sound gal did an awful job, as the levels were completely off.

Widow - very tight, and they clearly love what they do. It shines through every time they play. It's the second time I've seen them, and I enjoyed both performances. That said, their songs don't grab me. I need to get a hold of one of their discs, and see if a few more spins will convert me.

Icarus Witch - if it were 1988, these guys would be rock stars. It's just that simple. The band was excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed their performance. I think my brother and I left with the new CD, and my wife with a t-shirt.

White Wizzard - the vocals turned me off at first. The singer's upper range can be a bit off-putting if you're not a big King Diamond fan. That said, I stuck around simply to watch Jake Dreyer play. The kid is just incredible. As the set wore on, I really found myself enjoying the band and their music. I definitely want the new disc (unfortunately, they didn't have it).

All in all, a truly great night of Metal. I'm not just saying that because Milt and I are friends. I just think this was a perfect ticket, from top to bottom.