US touring halted?

Twilight actually announced a new member to their ranks last week....
Everyone welcome Thurston Moore to his first black metal band.

Yes, I saw that!!!!

I used to be a big Sonic Youth fan in HS.
When I first got into Novembers Doom, I actually asked Larry if his playing was at all influenced by SY. (IE - off timings, extreme downtuning, etc). He replied that he was not very familiar with this.

Point of the story is, I have heard Sonic Youth style guitar playing in bands like Nov Doom, Katatonia, Agalloch, etc....

sure, these aren't black metal bands, but with Judd in the band, my guess is there are some prog and other leanings than extreme BM in their sound.

While it might seem odd to some, it might turn out cool.

Not that anyone probably is, but if anyone has an interest in Sonic Youth, I highly recommend either SISTER or GOO.

He's definitely no stranger to weird, abrasive, innovative, noisy music. And he's been into black metal since pretty much the beginning. I imagine the new Twilight record will be pretty good as long as he has a lot of input.

Just wanted to add something else to why touring has ground to a halt: The country is too damn big! I remember having late night dinner and drinks with members of Oceansouls of America after Sonata Arctica's performance at BB Kings (Queen of the Reich opened), when this comment was made, and I quote: "Sonata will be in North America for 38 days. Do you know how many states they will actually play in? Nine!". Now, if they played in Europe, they could hit half of Europe, at lesser cost, in those same days. Only means more $$$$.

And so do Blue Oyster Cult, though few GHOST fans will give them the time of day........

Why should they? If i was 18 and getting into Ghost i would listen to Ghost. I don't care who they sound like because this is the band i like and they are Ghost. Sure, it was easier in MY teens to seek out bands that inspired other bands, but seriously in 2012 there are so many freaking bands out there who has time to seek out a band that truly hasn't been relevant in 20 years?

Us old timers can easily spot the influences, but we also have 20+ years on most kids listening to Ghost now. they couldn't give a shit, nor do i blame them for not giving a shit.

no...both are different.

hipster....the guess who wear the dark rimmed glasses and goofy hair. Tight jeans and drinks PBR and goes to shows and acts like a clown thinking he is being metal.

poser....the guy who listens to anything others are listening to and dresses "metal" and usually more so than they should in hopes of fitting in with a group. These are also the types who will be heavily into it for a year and then vanish.

this is just my take.

My point is they are the same in that if they aren't as KVLT as you (not literally you) then people like to talk shit on them. It's the same premise. I was into that band back when they had only a demo out, blah blah blah.

Metal doesn't sell millions and millions of albums and we need everyone we can get these days. Hipsters, goth, whatever. they are listening to some form or metal or heavy music? They are ok in my book.

I don't see how you finding a cassette in a parking lot is any different then a friend happening to play a power metal album for me.

I found something that I had never heard of and decided to try it out. No one was holding my hand through the process. I was just commenting that it would have been nice to have the benefit of someone introducing me to metal sooner.

Why should they? If i was 18 and getting into Ghost i would listen to Ghost. I don't care who they sound like because this is the band i like and they are Ghost. Sure, it was easier in MY teens to seek out bands that inspired other bands, but seriously in 2012 there are so many freaking bands out there who has time to seek out a band that truly hasn't been relevant in 20 years?

Us old timers can easily spot the influences, but we also have 20+ years on most kids listening to Ghost now. they couldn't give a shit, nor do i blame them for not giving a shit.

I find it humorous that the people you would think would be all into Ghost like those "metal underground types" who like raw 70s throw back bands. But no they have an issue with Ghost because they are a hipster band. Like punks calling a band sellouts once more than two people know who they are. Seriously does this way of thinking make these guys any cooler among their circles of friends? Makes me think of the pertinacious guy we have all ran into in the indie college record shop who is always playing some incomprehensible noise to help him appear hip. But we all know when he gets off work and is driving home he is pumping that Bon Jovi song on the radio, and not being ironic about it.
Ghost is a good band; like getting Coke Classuc back after that New Coke crap (for those who are old enough to remember that). sure I can think of several bands that Ghost remind me of BOC, Mercyful Fate, Sorcery, carbon copy of Blackhole (musically) but noe of this matters, they are good. And the hipsters are of course there but nowhere as annoying as those guys who can't like the band because those other two guys do. Well I should clear that up, not annoying just funny.

Have you considered it has nothing to do with these bands becoming "popular"?

Ghost: Ghost is an awful example. They have one album. As far as I'm concerned, they have always been popular.

Nightwish: They changed their vocalist. People like the old singer... they don't like the old singer. It's not that hard to fathom.

Opeth: Opeth is a completely different band now then they were. When people were falling all over themselves in praise of Opeth, how many of those same Death Metal and Black Metal fans were also fans of 70s Prog Rock? Probably not many. So why is it surprising to anyone that Opeth's fanbase has changed solely for musical reasons?

Did you read the rest of the post? It seems like it's hard in some circles to find people who admit to liking Tarja-era Nightwish anymore, that's the part that makes it so unusual to me. There's a fair share of people who don't like their new direction (personally, I think it's awesome), but those people are probably just principled fans who miss Tarja. It's the ones who about-face and say they were ALWAYS bad that make me question whether the sentiment is genuine.

Seems like the same thing happened to Dragonforce. When they were on MP3.com they were loved, their first two albums were loved, and then along comes Guitar Hero and Ozzfest and a lot of fans turned on them.

Hammerlock said:
It seems like it's hard in some circles to find people who admit to liking Tarja-era Nightwish anymore

o_O I never *ever* encountered a hard time finding people who still like Tarja-era Nightwish better...

Seems like the same thing happened to Dragonforce. When they were on MP3.com they were loved, their first two albums were loved, and then along comes Guitar Hero and Ozzfest and a lot of fans turned on them.

Part of that might have had less to do with the band and more to do with not wanting to be associated with the crowds Dragonforce brought out. The one time I saw DF live I watched their crowd boo Lacuna Coil and Between the Buried and Me just so they could squee and air guitar for their flavor of the week. Maybe some of them stuck with metal and actually bought a Helloween album or two, but most just moved on to the next thing.

I wouldn't hold that against DF though. More power to them for getting popular and making some money.

And why do you care so much?

Why do I care????
Well, I have no personal stake in it obviously as I don't run a label or promote a festival. Though wouldn't it be nice if people who do get into an underground metal band actually remain a fan of the genre and explore other bands? I mean, DragonForce is a good example. Many were saying how great it was for power metal. Yeah, but how many of these 15 year olds who got into them ever branched out to even the power metal bands you could find at the mall? Their drawing numbers obviously did not result in an increase in attendance for other power metal bands, of which we have all seen a decline in recent years......

So yes, for an instant pop to sales perspective, sure I guess its good no matter who gets into it. Just a shame that so few of these "flavor of the month" fans ever dive deeper into the genre.

I guess that's why metal has been and always will be a true underground cult thing that means so much to us. I have no problem with it, but others want it to be bigger and I am saying it never will...........

I find it humorous that the people you would think would be all into Ghost like those "metal underground types" who like raw 70s throw back bands. But no they have an issue with Ghost because they are a hipster band. Like punks calling a band sellouts once more than two people know who they are. Seriously does this way of thinking make these guys any cooler among their circles of friends? Makes me think of the pertinacious guy we have all ran into in the indie college record shop who is always playing some incomprehensible noise to help him appear hip. But we all know when he gets off work and is driving home he is pumping that Bon Jovi song on the radio, and not being ironic about it.
Ghost is a good band; like getting Coke Classuc back after that New Coke crap (for those who are old enough to remember that). sure I can think of several bands that Ghost remind me of BOC, Mercyful Fate, Sorcery, carbon copy of Blackhole (musically) but noe of this matters, they are good. And the hipsters are of course there but nowhere as annoying as those guys who can't like the band because those other two guys do. Well I should clear that up, not annoying just funny.

Great post Jeremy.

...it would have been nice to have the benefit of someone introducing me to metal sooner.

There is a lot more to it than simply being exposed to it. You were open to the experience and embraced it, so good for you, but it isn't usually that easy. Back in high school a good friend of mine kept playing Master of Puppets over and over again whenever we were together and I couldn't stand it. It was too heavy for me; it was just noise. It wasn't until a few years later when I saw them on the And Justice tour (we only went because Queensryche was opening on their Mindcrime tour) that it finally clicked for me. After that I started exploring their discography with an open mind and found a lot of great music. Now I consider Puppets a masterpiece that I fondly revisit every now and then. I was a proud metal-head and had been for years, but it took an awesome live performance to make me a Metallica fan. How much more difficult would it have been if I wasn't already into similar music?