US touring halted?

I have just come across more people who one would think would adore that band going by what they are already into but tend to have an issue with the bands popularity.
You might be right. As I said, I've never found a lot of truth in that stereotype. But then again, that could merely be my experiences.

:rolleyes: We get it. You don't like Ghost.
Huh? Why would you say that? :loco:

Iron Maiden never did. And I don't think anyone says Ghost changed their sound to get popular.
I have just come across more people who one would think would adore that band going by what they are already into but tend to have an issue with the bands popularity. I'm not saying everyone dislikes Ghost for that reason, others may just have no taste. HAHA

Maiden's not really a good example at all since a) they kind of did change their sound and b)nobody really hates them. But one that's especially relevant to this community is Dragonforce and backs up your point.

For what it's worth, and this is stupid, I have seen people say they won't even listen to Repugnant anymore because Ghost is so popular. Stupid stupid stupid.

Maiden's not really a good example at all since a) they kind of did change their sound and b)nobody really hates them. But one that's especially relevant to this community is Dragonforce and backs up your point.

For what it's worth, and this is stupid, I have seen people say they won't even listen to Repugnant anymore because Ghost is so popular. Stupid stupid stupid.

I find it so weird that people won't listen to Ghost because they're popular. I was introduced to them from the guy who runs DC Heavy Metal.com, and their songs were so catchy they've become my go-to songs for artsy-time. This song in particular is a huge ear-worm..

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it so weird that people won't listen to Ghost because they're popular. I was introduced to them from the guy who runs DC Heavy Metal.com, and their songs were so catchy they've become my go-to songs for artsy-time. This song in particular is a huge ear-worm..

In fairness, the vast majority of new 'popular' metal bands suck ass. But most bands at least deserve the 30-second test.

In fairness, the vast majority of new 'popular' metal bands suck ass.

I guess, but I'm not sure where the popularity is coming from. Metal isn't really a "popular" genre, so when you say popular, do you mean like... popular for metal? Because I'm not sure how to gauge that kind of popularity! XD Does metal even get played on the radio, anymore? What are them crazy kids listening to? I go to Blabbermouth every day and there's some bands I know absolutely nothing about, so I'm not sure if they're actually really popular, or just being pushed.

Like... The Black Veil Brides. Are they seriously popular? I know some young kids who like them... poor kids. D:

Saying Maiden did not change their sound to get popular; the band already had a strong fanbase w/ Paul, grant they lost a lot when Bruce came in but gain a new fanbase. However that was not done in order to obtain popularity, it was already gaining at the time. I think it could be argued that maybe they did with 'Somewhere in Time' being that it was the most commercial sounding album up to that point, but still that argument would be a stretch. Nowadays Iron Maiden is nothing more than an AC/DC formula (not saying that is bad) but certainly not breaking new ground, nor have they changed. So no Maiden never changed for popularity.
Oh I forgot that Blaze stuff

I guess, but I'm not sure where the popularity is coming from. Metal isn't really a "popular" genre, so when you say popular, do you mean like... popular for metal?

In Ghost's case, I would say popular as in packing a Jaxx-sized club on a weeknight with so many people that you can't even move your arms to clap your hands (or raise your PBR if that's how you roll).

I guess, but I'm not sure where the popularity is coming from. Metal isn't really a "popular" genre, so when you say popular, do you mean like... popular for metal? Because I'm not sure how to gauge that kind of popularity! XD Does metal even get played on the radio, anymore? What are them crazy kids listening to? I go to Blabbermouth every day and there's some bands I know absolutely nothing about, so I'm not sure if they're actually really popular, or just being pushed.

Like... The Black Veil Brides. Are they seriously popular? I know some young kids who like them... poor kids. D:

Are you serious? Metal is extremely popular turn on the tv at any given time and you can hear it in pizza and car commercials. And if I'm not mistaking metal sells more than any other pop music genre in the U.S. and has for consecutive years now. There is still more metal artist on magazine covers in the bookstores than country or hip hop. Every day I go into town I see at least one or two metal shirts on people backs. Children's cartoons give nods to metal, metal artist have tv shows, constantly there are national and tour packages crossing the US, this list could go on.
Now making these arguments might contradict other statements I have about metal's popularity in the U.S. in the past. I suppose I have made in the past. I suppose I should clear this up; metal is quite popular in the U.S. but that is considering it in a whole accepting nu metal, Hot Topic kids, etc. As much as I do not care for that and know Manilla Road will never get their just dues, still being totally honest about it...
But a truly honest statement that metal is not popular here is wrong. Now to say it is different as it once was or clichish, some aspects trendy is totally true.

Are you serious? Metal is extremely popular turn on the tv at any given time and you can hear it in pizza and car commercials. And if I'm not mistaking metal sells more than any other pop music genre in the U.S. and has for consecutive years now. There is still more metal artist on magazine covers in the bookstores than country or hip hop. Every day I go into town I see at least one or two metal shirts on people backs. Children's cartoons give nods to metal, metal artist have tv shows, constantly there are national and tour packages crossing the US, this list could go on.
Now making these arguments might contradict other statements I have about metal's popularity in the U.S. in the past. I suppose I have made in the past. I suppose I should clear this up; metal is quite popular in the U.S. but that is considering it in a whole accepting nu metal, Hot Topic kids, etc. As much as I do not care for that and know Manilla Road will never get their just dues, still being totally honest about it...
But a truly honest statement that metal is not popular here is wrong. Now to say it is different as it once was or clichish, some aspects trendy is totally true.

O_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Manilla Road may not get their just do in the grand scene, but they are getting a lot more recognition in the underground.
I suppose that's due to them being a lot more active in recent years and having shorter times between releases.
At least whenever I mention MR online, people KNOW they are an underground band that they just never heard as opposed to people not knowing the difference between them and any other unknown local band.

For the record the X FACTOR was a damn fine album.

I would say Maiden's only commercial attempts would have been SEVENTH SON.

That album was not very well received when it came out, at least not in my school.

Are you serious? Metal is extremely popular turn on the tv at any given time and you can hear it in pizza and car commercials. And if I'm not mistaking metal sells more than any other pop music genre in the U.S. and has for consecutive years now.

Sorry buddy, way off. Rock is #1 in 2011 with 105.9 million albums sold and i would assume always at the top. Metal is #6 with 32.21 million records sold. nowhere close to the top. By no means unpopular, but to say metal tops the charts is not correct. if it did every shelf in best buy would be stocked with metal and not Katy Perry and Linkin Park. Pop/Rock will always dominate.

Chart is located here: http://www.statista.com/statistics/188910/us-music-album-sales-by-genre-2010/

Sorry buddy, way off. Rock is #1 in 2011 with 105.9 million albums sold and i would assume always at the top. Metal is #6 with 32.21 million records sold. nowhere close to the top. By no means unpopular, but to say metal tops the charts is not correct. if it did every shelf in best buy would be stocked with metal and not Katy Perry and Linkin Park. Pop/Rock will always dominate.

Chart is located here: http://www.statista.com/statistics/188910/us-music-album-sales-by-genre-2010/

Didn't say I was positive, I never personally cared enough to look up the numbers. Still I think there is a case to be made for it's over all popularity and imapact or I'm I the only person who has heard Priest selling cars or order a pizza from Domino's and placed the heavy metal online order?

Manilla Road may not get their just do in the grand scene, but they are getting a lot more recognition in the underground.
I suppose that's due to them being a lot more active in recent years and having shorter times between releases.
At least whenever I mention MR online, people KNOW they are an underground band that they just never heard as opposed to people not knowing the difference between them and any other unknown local band.

For the record the X FACTOR was a damn fine album.

I would say Maiden's only commercial attempts would have been SEVENTH SON.

That album was not very well received when it came out, at least not in my school.

well sure that is no secret to those in the know.
X Factor well it is ok, but for me Maiden had lost appeal a couple of albums early. As for Seventh Son I love that album, probably my favorite (if not Powerslave). I can see why that one would not catch as well being the most progressive and Bruce's dumbass remark about keyboards earlier.

Didn't say I was positive, I never personally cared enough to look up the numbers. Still I think there is a case to be made for it's over all popularity and imapact or I'm I the only person who has heard Priest selling cars or order a pizza from Domino's and placed the heavy metal online order?

Well, relatively speaking having two commercials out of the hundreds of thousands feature metal music isn't saying much since i can name at least three that Journey have been in. When Apple runs a metal band's song for an iPhone or iPod commercial then we know we might be making some waves. However for as much exposure as country music has with it's video channels and reality programming you would think that genre's sales would be stronger overall.

Also, never claimed you to be positive but you made a bold statement so i had to look it up, because never in my years at BB's did we ever sell more metal than pop/rock in any single day.