What is your most memorable moment that involves metal music?

Great Nightwish story, Pyramaze51!

I can think of quite a few metal concert moments. Metallica, 1992 at the old Omni in Atlanta, seeing them two nights in a row with snakepit passes and backstage passes, so we got to watch from -inside- the stage. Both nights Kirk saw me and mouthed "Hi, Paul" (I used to know him back when they wuz cool). 18,000 people and we were right in the center of it all.... Also Metallica, in 1994 at Lakewood Amphitheater, I had front-row center tickets, ironically purchased by friends of mine for me, same story, plus the "Die!" chant during "Creeping Death," with 17-18,000 fans all raising the horns or metal fists, remains one of the most visceral moments I've ever experienced in music.

So many memorable metal moments at ProgPower, too, including all of the shows I've helped sponsor.....but especially Nightwish. Watching from a few feet away on side-stage as Marc Brueland struggled to get out of his wheelchair and managed to stand and headbang (a little) during "Walking In the Air" was amazing, and I didn't even know the whole story at the time. After Glenn told it, I was even more amazed. Along with sponsoring Therion's show (and ultimately, their tour) and helping to arrange a British author friend's US book deal, co-sponsoring Nightwish is one of the most satisfying accomplishments of my life.

Non-concert moment: hearing Operation: Mindcrime for the first time. I had won a 'free cassette of your choice' voucher from 96rock here, and I cashed it in at a store for a copy of O:M. I played it in the car and was so astonished I pulled off the road and parked so I could hear it in all its glory. It got me back into 'good' metal to stay, and ultimately led to Metallica and harder stuff. One of the most important moments of my life.

SwordLord said:
Hello all ...

Allow me to clarify ... :loco:

As is common to us all, there are certain songs that you may have heard at a specific moment or period in your life that will forever remind you of that "thing" forever...

So what's yours?

Forgive the personal examples, but I've been doing a lot of thinking lately ... so here are mine.

Nathan

That is a great post Nathan, but to be honest, I disassociate music listening with life events for the most part. There are a few songs that do bring back memories of past girlfriends etc. but nothing truly specefic. The only event I can really remember is getting stoned and driving down this long straightaway to see how fast my Gran Torino would go (my first car.) I had "Too High to Get it Right" by Accept in the player and to this day, when I revisit that song, I have to be careful of my speed when driving. That song makes me heavy-footed still.....

Bryant

woosta said:
3. Accept "Metal Heart" and Judas Priest "Defenders". Took a train trip to Florida and these were the only 2 tapes I had for the 24 hour trip. I think it was then that I discovered "mood" in music and how it worked to highten the experience of the moment. I still love those 2 cds.

Ha ha ha great fucking albums, both but especially "Metal Heart." I would have to listen to a release a year straight 24/7 to catch up to how many times ""Metal Heart" has been on my turntable, tape deck and CD player.

Bryant

No-Mercy said:
well, one of my most memorable moments will be the 1st time i heard metal...Die With Your Boots On by iron maiden!! it kicked my ass, even above that, probably my first concert- which was maiden's brave new world tour...been to everyone since. i have such a deep connection with so many songs itd be impossible to type each one here.

Great post !! That reminds me that the first time I heard Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark." I looked like Wiley Coyote. My jaw was on the floor.

Bryant

Creeps said:
My 1st concert... DIO & Rough Cutt, Sacred Heart Tour.

Meeting the Metal God.

My first "real" metal concert was also Dio. Ronnie fighting a mechanical dragon with a laser sword on stage in Columbus Georgia of all places absolutely blew me away.

Bryant

DarkOne said:
Maybe not my most metal moment, but it was cool to me:

A few years back I was holiday shopping for the nieces and nephews in Toys R Us. One of the younger staff there was singing something familiar:

Lord bring on the night, Wrap it all around me

I realized it was "All That I Bleed" by Savatage. I walked up to him and complimented him, telling him that it isn't often you hear someone singing Savatage, especially in Toys R Us. He was pretty dumbfounded that someone knew what he was singing.

Steve in Philly

Yeah I went into a store in the mall (Spencer's) and fucking Savatage "Hall of the Mountain King" was playing. This was only maybe 18 months ago. It was a younger black employee who played it, but he was in full nu-metal dress. Despite his youth, he also was big into Rush. Out of curiosity, I asked him if he listened to any black music. He said he liked Seal and Alicia Keys. I left the store bowing to him.

Bryant

Have to say the most memorable metal moment I've had so far was seeing Nightwish last October at the Hartwell Areena in Helsinki with my good friend, Petri. So far, nothing has topped those moments.

Chanting 'heaven can wait' right next to Steve Harris on stage on the X Factour in Minneapolis. Probably one of the coolest moments of my life.

When I fell asleep driving and wrecked my car I was listening to Mental Home's Black Art cd, but can't remember which song. Come to think of it, that was the last time I listened to anything by them, though not on purpose. Since then, Avantasia (Metal Opera I) is my don't-fall-asleep cd, for whenever I have a long, late drive home (usually Friday nights/Saturday mornings with plenty of alcohol in my bloodstream).

As for mood or events, Dream Theater's Space Dye Vest always brings back an ugly break up from years ago. It was after all "the one that got away". It is a great song, but makes my blood boil.

Seeing my fave local act, BEYOND FALLEN from Scranton, PA. a year or so ago at the Corner Pocket Lounge(R.I.P.) in Moosic, Pa. Why? Because during their last tune, "Seek and Destroy", these two chicks, one a former stripper I was told, were making out like their plane was going down right in the center of the floor. We were all waving with our hands to the band and yelling, "Keep going for Christ's sake!" "Don't stop now!" We were about two seconds from bare titty, and the motherfucking house lights went on! Show over! Goddamn that sucked! But, it was still worth the $5 cover. Also, BEYOND FALLEN rules!

Man there are so many moments with music. Gosh here are a few that stand out in no particular order......

1. Well this is first actually. Savatage Believe....The absolute best period. I can remember the first time i heard it. I also can clearly remember through college it was the song we closed the night to. Every time my friends and i got together..and friends to change through time...I always brought them in on the tradition of when you had a great night..closing it down with believe..shutting the lights off..listening and not one word said after..just small smiles of goodbye or night night....

2. Meeting Bobby Blitz and D.D from overkill. I grew up loving that band and got a chance to see them in charlotte north carolina..Non Fiction opened up and they rocked too. overkill was the middle and i cant remember the headliner...but anyway....after the overkill set....and hearing most of horrorscope live..oooofffff....I was going to the bathroom and DD was sitting by the bar...When I walked by...he said..hey man...how u think we sounded tonight....Ok so I had just seen GOD....and GOD was saying..what u think...I just looked at him....im really shy anyway..and said....u want me to tell u how u sounded????? He said uhhhhhh yeah......all i could do was laugh histerically...giggled like a 2 year old........Gooooood Lord Man...There are no words.

3. Meeting Jon Oliva for the first time at progpower when he came with Circle to Circle...he IS my idol....We have one friend that we each know real well but him and i had never crossed paths....When I was down to florida, I was at my grandfathers funeral and my grandmothers best friends son was a paulberror (sp not sure) i was blasting believe in the car..i knew he liked metal..it was the only thing that i wanted to hear...he said hey man..after u wanna go visit a friend of mine...i was to sad to do anything.....so i just went back to my grandmothers....later on i found he was gonna take me to see Jon....im a freaking dork for not going.....but when i met jon some 10 years later it seemed...I just said...he u know so and so...he just smiled and gave me a huge hug....and said u know great people...i said well now i know one of the greatest ever...and said how glad i am to finally meet him and thank him....was a great experience...what a great dude..

4. I remember getting my very first cd player..went down to the local used cd place and just bought up anything that looked had a cool cover....ran across this band called crimson glory with a cool cover....called transcendence.....hell i didnt even know at the time what on earth that word was..still dont....but got that.....WASP headless children and helloween keepers 2.....jeebus what a afternoon that was sitting outside on the hammok....put crimson in first......didnt take it out for 3 days....Red sharks....burning bridges...hell the whole damn disc blew me away......what a great 1st one...

there are just so many just like the rest of yall out there....shame there isnt more of us around to share those stories with....great times....and thanks to Glenn for continuing to provide us with more magical experiences..