What would you pay for your favorite album

Aug 6, 2003
Sandy Eggo
Visit site
The other thread about Spotify has brought up some interesting discussions about music and the monetary value. So I was thinking about how much my favorite albums are worth to me. Now this is more of a personal thought exercise than any sort of commentary on the free market and the actual economy of art.

Think about your 5-10 favorite albums of all time. How much are they worth to you.? Or knowing what you know now, if each album were offered in a one time only deal and that was the only way you would ever be able to listen to the album, how much would you pay for each album?

Or of that is too abstract for you, assume that each time you listened to the album you put a quarter in a jar, which album would have earned the most money and roughly how much would it be?

I know this is silly and abstract, it is just for fun.

$10. Give or take a few bucks. Regardless of how much I love Throwing Copper, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Nightfall on Middle Earth, if these albums were never made or never heard, I'd have 3 different favorites. There's a glut of music in the world, and it seems to have cheapened it all for me.

That's an interesting question. Discs like Fates Warning "No Exit' would probably cost me $1000's. Seeing as how I wore out 2 cassettes, wore out the 1st cd I bought and then bought the re-issue, I've already spent $70-80 on it. Knowing what I know about the cd and the influence it had on the rest of my music listening life, I would say I would have spent $100 for it.