Your Favorite Power Metal Song Ever

Questions like this are difficult to answer. But I would say that in my opinion Twisted Tower Dire's 'Axes and Honor' is one of the best power metal (for that matter heavy metal) anthems ever written just read the lyrics.
But besides that I would suggest Saxon 'Power and the Glory' and Omen's 'March On' has to be up there.
Does Saxon count?:kickass:

Andre Matos has never been in Helloween. He sang in Viper, Angra, Shaman, the project Virgo and his solo band. :)

Now you know how much of a Matos nuthugger I am. To the point where I just about don't listen to modern day Angra.

But...

you are wrong.

I think you may have made the same mistake I did (the song is actually called "Crown of Thorns". That said, I can't believe someone else agrees. Very cool.

By the way, for those who haven't heard it...

The section starting at 3:41 through 4:20 is just brilliant. And the note that ends that section... :worship::worship::worship:

Your right, i went and played the whole album and I had forgotten just how awesome it is. This video wasw shot in 2002 I believe when ASKA was on a far east USO tour. I saw them in Suwon Korea for the very first time and was hooked

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll third Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland

Honorable Mentions:
Kamelot - Forever
Hibria - Stare at Yourself
Gamma Ray - Armaggedon
Rhapsody - Wizard's Last Rhyme

add Heavenly - Victory

I am a space pirate, you know my name...

The Lord Weird Slough Feg's 'High Passage/Low Passage". Maybe not the most original souding track ever, but to me, it's everything that power metal ought to be.

Riot's 'Dance of Death' makes a pretty close second, 'The Watcher' by Destiny's End ties for that position, with the latter album generally topping my list of best PM albums.

Ok, so "Eagle Fly Free" has its iconic "Kai / both / Markus / Mike / Ingo" solo section. I could have sworn that there was another song coming from this Helloween/Gamma Ray camp that repeated the "everyone gets a solo" trick years later, maybe in a somewhat abbreviated version, maybe somewhere around 'The Time of the Oath'. But now for the life of me, I can't find it. Am I imagining this? Was it a different band? Funny thing is, I just realized that "Carry On" nearly does it in its solo section, but I don't think that's the song I was thinking of. Well, regardless of the song *I'm* thinking of, does anyone know any other power metal songs that do this?

Oh, and all the nominated songs that lack a twin-guitar harmony solo? Immediately disqualified! C'mon people, let's be serious here!

Neil

Oh, and all the nominated songs that lack a twin-guitar harmony solo? Immediately disqualified! C'mon people, let's be serious here!

For me, personally, I find the guitar/keyboard pairing much more power metally. Or maybe just more cheesy...whatever.