Gamma Ray greatest power metal ever????

Personally... I think Gamma Ray is the best power metal band ever. I'm not really in the mood for the huge rant about what makes them so great, so I'll keep that much short and sweet: Somewhere Out in Space OWNS. The most cohesive, emotionally power and moving, and well produced power metal album I have ever heard. G-Ray has a ton of other fantastic songs and albums - but SWOIS to me is what solidifies them into power metal immortality.

I would, however, like to address the issue of Gamma Ray being called not innovative or reinventing the wheel. That much is just utter nonsense. Any power metal band, by mere character of the genre, will have certain elements that are going to be repetitious. Every genre has these - even those that self declared "intellectuals" revere like Classical and Jazz. But have you ever really sat down and listened to a Gamma Ray song and paid attention to all the compositional complexities going on? Gamma Ray builds these amazingly dense vocal harmonies and instrumental movements that are leagues beyond the framework for power metal Iron Maiden originally created. I think Gamma Ray gets too little recognition for propelling power metal from a slightly more theatrical deviation of heavy metal - to the fantasy/story telling form which almost resembles theatrical works moreso than the original metal roots now. But even with what I consider far and away the most detailed and powerful use of sonority in production that makes G-Ray the most cleverly and effectively produced of the power metal genre - what really ends up defining the band is amazing lyrics and vocal melodies. Never have I heard a band who can write so far outside the standard forms of verse/bridge/chorus repeat, and still sound so unified. You have to start to venture into the world of Prog to hear bands form songs structurally that outside the box - yet G-Ray manages to do it while keeping the flow and momentum of a power metal song you can sing along to. Together - these elements make the story of their songs come to life. And what more does power metal really hope to accomplish than create an aural and visual fantasy that takes the listener out if himself and into the world the music creates. With their amazingly textured sound and brilliant lyrical work, I don't think anyone can hold a candle to G-Ray in terms of creating that fantasy world. In other words, when you sing "have no fear, rebellion is here!' you fucking MEAN IT!

I guess that did turn into a major love fest. Ah well.

I'm gonna say Angra and Edguy. I really enjoy Gamma Ray, especially "Heading For Tomorrow", but I don't find myself as hooked as with Edguy and Angra. And to throw my two cents into the Helloween topic, Keepers pt 2 is the best power metal album, and Pink Bubbles and Chameleon are fun as hell. Actually, I would say "Mankind" off of Pink Bubbles is one of my favorite Helloween tracks...but then again it is all personal preference.

Personally... I think Gamma Ray is the best power metal band ever. I'm not really in the mood for the huge rant about what makes them so great, so I'll keep that much short and sweet: Somewhere Out in Space OWNS. The most cohesive, emotionally power and moving, and well produced power metal album I have ever heard. G-Ray has a ton of other fantastic songs and albums - but SWOIS to me is what solidifies them into power metal immortality.

I would, however, like to address the issue of Gamma Ray being called not innovative or reinventing the wheel. That much is just utter nonsense. Any power metal band, by mere character of the genre, will have certain elements that are going to be repetitious. Every genre has these - even those that self declared "intellectuals" revere like Classical and Jazz. But have you ever really sat down and listened to a Gamma Ray song and paid attention to all the compositional complexities going on? Gamma Ray builds these amazingly dense vocal harmonies and instrumental movements that are leagues beyond the framework for power metal Iron Maiden originally created. I think Gamma Ray gets too little recognition for propelling power metal from a slightly more theatrical deviation of heavy metal - to the fantasy/story telling form which almost resembles theatrical works moreso than the original metal roots now. But even with what I consider far and away the most detailed and powerful use of sonority in production that makes G-Ray the most cleverly and effectively produced of the power metal genre - what really ends up defining the band is amazing lyrics and vocal melodies. Never have I heard a band who can write so far outside the standard forms of verse/bridge/chorus repeat, and still sound so unified. You have to start to venture into the world of Prog to hear bands form songs structurally that outside the box - yet G-Ray manages to do it while keeping the flow and momentum of a power metal song you can sing along to. Together - these elements make the story of their songs come to life. And what more does power metal really hope to accomplish than create an aural and visual fantasy that takes the listener out if himself and into the world the music creates. With their amazingly textured sound and brilliant lyrical work, I don't think anyone can hold a candle to G-Ray in terms of creating that fantasy world. In other words, when you sing "have no fear, rebellion is here!' you fucking MEAN IT!

At times some of your posts irritate me, but this is dead on. As always, others opinions will vary, but I'm in agreement 100% (and not just to piss off Milton & Zod:lol:)

J-Dubya

Well....
Wow.

OK. You forced me to do this...

50 Power Metal (PM to one extant or another) bands I like more than Gamma Ray...

Angel Dust
Angra
Aska
Balance of Power
Beyond Fear
Black Majesty
Blaze
Blind Guardian
Brainstorm
Cage
Circle II Circle
Demons & Wizards
DGM
Dio
Edguy
Eidolon
Elsesphere
Eyefear
Falconer
Fifth Angel
Firewind
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Jag Panzer
Judas Priest
Kamelot
Kiuas
Lanfear
Manowar
Manticora
Masterplan
Metal Church
Mystic Prophecy
Order of Nine
Persuader
Pharoah
Pretty Maids
Primal Fear
Pyramaze
Rage
Sabaton
Savage Circus
Shatter Messiah
Silent Force
Sinergy
Steel Prophet
Symphorce
Tad Morose
Tarot

Zod

So Gamma Ray would be #51?:lol:

I LOVE Gamma Ray. One of my fav bands but the best power metal band (and for that matter, the best metal band PERIOD) is Blind Guardian.

I think you could easily go another 50 if you had to do it. Gamma Ray doesn't do a whole lot for me either. I own a few of their discs, but I rarely ever give one a spin.
Same here. I can't remember the last time I felt a desire to listen to them. For me, it's the vocals that ruin it. Kai just can't sing. He's nasal and whiny. He should really consider bringing in someone to handle the lead vox.

Zod

Kai is LEGENDARY!!!!!! Cant sing my #ss! Him singing in Gamma Ray is 100x better than when Scheepers was in the band!! I much prefer Kai vocals to about 3/4 of the vocalists on your 50 list Zod!!!! His delivery,style,etc is different but classic and awesome!!!! His class and perservance for the power metal genre is untouched!!!!!

It's always amusing how these debates always have people act as though it's a personal attack when you say you don't like the band.
And yeah, not a fan of Gamma Ray, either.

Kai is LEGENDARY!!!!!! Cant sing my #ss! Him singing in Gamma Ray is 100x better than when Scheepers was in the band!! I much prefer Kai vocals to about 3/4 of the vocalists on your 50 list Zod!!!! His delivery,style,etc is different but classic and awesome!!!! His class and perservance for the power metal genre is untouched!!!!!
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I prefer every vocalist on my list to Kai. As I said in my initial post to this thread, it all comes down to personal tastes.

Zod

Jibrille whats amusing is the in Zods opinion that Kai cant sing! No it not a personal attack on me but someone I think alot of!! Half of the bands Zod named would not be around if the road had not been paved by artists like Kai. I only wish I could have 20 years+ in the music field making a living not being able to sing!!!!