What's your all time favorite song?

Urban breed said:
Never heard of him, no. So those albums are kind of hard to find then?

http://www.popplusone.com is where you get the albums J Dub mentioned, though I would also include Amazon, and an album called simply Toy Matinee.

Kevin's website is kevingilbert.com, rarely updated, since Kevin famously passed away in 1995 due toauto-erotic asphyxiation (same as INXS's Michael Hutchens)

It's a tie, really: Blind Guardian's "Time, What is Time?" and "Valhalla". The former has all the elements of metal that I crave: beautiful acoustic intro; hard, heavy, fast, and razor-precise riffing; harmonized lead runs; guitar solos; and powerful, make-your-hair-stand-up vocals (Hansi is just amazing). And singing along to "Valhalla" (and riding that high falsetto (sp?) with Kai) gets my blood pumping.

I can only hope they perform one of these two in Atlanta this december ... *crosses fingers*

Ugh, this is hard.. I've been thinking about a couple other few ones and here they are :

Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak
Angra - Angels and Demons, Never Understand
ARK - Just a Little, Burn the Sun
Pain of Salvation - This Heart of Mine, Second Love (let's say these two have a special meaning to me)
Evergrey - The Great Deceiver
Riverside - Acronym Love, I Believe, Volte-Face
Dream Theater - The Silent Man, Spirit Carries On
Dave Matthews Band - The Last Stop
Orphaned Land - Ocean Land
Stratovarius - Freedom
Mercenary - 11 Dreams

Love- Ayreon

There is absolutely no bad song on that album but if I had to pick an all time favorite song, that would be it.

I love that album.

Stay Metal!:headbang:

Urban breed said:
Never heard of him, no. So those albums are kind of hard to find then?

My favorite Genesis album is "Nursery Cryme", most people disagree with me there and I think I see their point but it just happens to be just the thing for me. (Realizing now that Genesis clearly must be the exception to my "production heavy, later album"-rule.) :)

Interested. :D

That's a combination I can live with. ;)

Not horribly hard to find, as Ben's response (thanks dude!) shows. : )
(I always forget about that site :()
I haven't tried to order anything from there in ages, so I don't know what their turnaround time is like.
I'll make sure to find you and get you a
preview copy to see if you like it or not. As for favorites, who can argue with what YOU like best, whether it be Genesis, or Maiden, or whatever. ;)
Every rule has exceptions! :heh:
I think you'll really like the production on Shaming..... :)

John W

I am one of those that cannot just pick one. Each of these songs has meant something to me at some point in my life.

If I had only one song to listen to the rest of my life:
Ivory Gate of Dreams - Fates Warning ( & all John Arch)

Lady Wore Black - QR
Black Rose Immortal - Opeth
Eagle Fly Free - Helloween
She Painted Fire Across the Sky - Aggaloch
Painted Skies - Crimson Glory
All That I Bleed/Believe - Savatage
Children of the Sea - Black Sabbath
Factory Girl - The Chieftans (w/Sinead O'Connor singing - chilling)
Eddie - TNT
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Maiden
I Am a Viking - Ynwie
In Trance - The Scorpions
Cemetary Gates - Pantera (my best friend died at age 30 of an annurism)
Voodoo Chile' (Slight Return) - Stevie Ray's version

Favorite song ever? My oh my such a hard question...

It would have to be a tie between three excellent songs.

1.) Iced Earth-A Question of Heaven
2.) Evergrey-Trilogy of the Damned
3.) Memento-Blister

Andromedastrain-

Hmmm... if I have to pick just one, I guess I'd have to say "Suite Sister Mary," Queensrÿche. I don't know that it's my hands-down, absolute favorite, but it would certainly be in whatever top list I could come up with.

"Beyond You" by Marillion would and "Beyond the Pale" by PoS would probably be pretty darn close as well.

Shaye

BenMech said:
As great as that one is, DON'T PICK A COVER VERSION for this thread.
If you didn't start the thread, you don't make the rules. But more importantly, I don't care if Jeff Buckley was the 1,238th person to record that song, it's now his song, he owns it.:kickass:

Zod

Speaking of covers, there is one song that stands tall above other music ever recorded.

'Oops I did it again' as performed by Children of Bodom.

Oh baby BABAY!

General Zod said:
If you didn't start the thread, you don't make the rules. But more importantly, I don't care if Jeff Buckley was the 1,238th person to record that song, it's now his song, he owns it.:kickass:

Zod
True dat...brotha be droppin' knowledge.
Though, John Cale's version is just the smallest fragment behind JB's.

On the sorta same note, 'Hallelujah'(different song) by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is a great song, as well.