Gamma Ray greatest power metal ever????

However, saying 'Kai cannot sing' is not a matter of opinion. That is factually incorrect. That's like saying Kelly Clarkson cannot sing and William Hung can and trying to play that off as all just a matter of personal taste and opinion.
Kelly Clarkson is a good singer. She simply sings songs that don't interest me. Conversely, Kai is a bad singer, who sings music which if performed with a talented singer, would interest me.

As for your fact vs. opinion argument, you must first qualify it with what is meant by being able to sing. If all you require, to be able to state that someone "can sing", is that they possess the ability to stay in key, than yes, Kai can sing. However, Kai lacks power, lacks range, lacks nuance, and lacks the ability to convey emotion. To me, that means he can't sing. As an example, if you asked Kai to sing Lance's vocal lines from one of the Pyramaze CD, it would sound like a heard of cats sustaining simultaneous blunt force trauma.

Zod

Kelly Clarkson is a good singer. She simply sings songs that don't interest me. Conversely, Kai is a bad singer, who sings music which if performed with a talented singer, would interest me.

As for your fact vs. opinion argument, you must first qualify it with what is meant by being able to sing. If all you require, to be able to state that someone "can sing", is that they possess the ability to stay in key, than yes, Kai can sing. However, Kai lacks power, lacks range, lacks nuance, and lacks the ability to convey emotion. To me, that means he can't sing. As an example, if you asked Kai to sing Lance's vocal lines from one of the Pyramaze CD, it would sound like a heard of cats sustaining simultaneous blunt force trauma.

Zod

Technically I totally agree with you Zod. I have always thought that...he is not a singer that I would show someone outside of metal. But his voice works so well for Gamma Ray and the early Helloween stuff. Sure he is no vocal wizard but not everyone is going to be perfect. I dont sit there and analyze vocal ranges on CD's. I do like his voice though...there is something about it that appeals to me.

hahahahahahahhaa
Good one, Zod!

And I have to say Cristina Aguilera is a good singer, but sings shitty songs and annoys me a LOT by going higher and higher, and seems she doesn't know when o stop.
Annoying piece of **** lol
I hate people that think if you go high you are a good singer.
it's just annoying ;( ...
Like Kai's voice is VERY annoying.... lmao

Kai is largely responsible for Angra's career, compositional development, production and sound. He has guest solos AND vocals all over their catalog, and much of their material is produced at Hansen Studios.

Edu is an amazing singer - Kai is at least an equally amazing singer (preference on that is just a matter of opinion). However, saying 'Kai cannot sing' is not a matter of opinion. That is factually incorrect. That's like saying Kelly Clarkson cannot sing and William Hung can and trying to play that off as all just a matter of personal taste and opinion. There is both a subjectivity and objectivity to art. If there is no objectivity, everything is just as good as everything else and nothing can be evaluated relatively - which is obviously an obsurd notion if you follow that logic to its conclusion(s). I like to think I know at least a few things about pitch and range, and Kai is damn good with both. Consider the intro to Armageddon and the chorus of Heart of the Unicorn. That is an extremely expansive vocal range (and that's not falsetto BS or gutteral BS on either end). His pitch is dead on, he gets tons of emotional inflection into his lyrics, and he has an unrivaled (my opinion) skill at layering different types of vocal variations for a really arabesque sound. The whole conclusion of Beyond the Black Hole pretty much certifies Kai as an amazing vocalist - those are some extremely dense and clever harmonies. So, you can say you do not like Kai's singing, but you cannot say Kai cannot sing - unless you want to be wrong (not opinion wrong, just wrong wrong).

Kai Hansen is my hero, but you are not helping our "Kai Hansen rocks" case by comparing him to Kelly Clarkson, sorry. :lol:

Zod

Are you sure you have actually listened to Gamma Ray? I mean I can see this argument being made about a marginal singer whose actual vocal ability is secondary to how it fits the music like Dave Mustaine or David Lee Roth. But putting Kai in that catagory? That doesn't make sense.

Kai lacks power? Gamma Ray has some of THE most vocally powerful songs in metal. There are only so many power metal bands who have the entire audience sing along to the WHOLE song rather than just the chorus. I saw G-Ray at the Montreal concert they recorded for the DVD - everyone sang every line with fists triumphantly in the air. And when you sing Gamma Ray - you SING, you don't yell, because the melodies are so powerful

Kai lacks range? Again - intro to Armageddon, chorus of Heart of the Unicorn. Or perhaps you mean diversity, in which case all you have to do is listen to the final chorus of Beyond the Black Hole and realize what sounds like an entourage is just Kai layered with 4 cool and diverse voices.

Kai lacks nuiance? Meaning he doesn't Christina Aguilera-up all his vocals with trills and frills? There are guys that sing flat and without nuiance - usually they don't get very far because they sound bland and don't set themselves apart from the pack.

Kai lacks the ability to convey emotion? Right, that's why at Gamma Ray shows people so triumphantly sing along - because its emotionless. We certainly don't want to fall into the definition of emotional singing that is part of the Emo genre - equating it to caterwalling and crooning and OH MY LIFE IS SO HARD. emotion in vocals comes primarily from the melody.

You may want to give Somewhere Out in Space another listen man. I mean, I'm not a fan of Bruce Dickinsons voice (which I know puts me in a minority) but I would never question his ability to sing - not when you have an arena full of people singing along the choruses with you because of how powerful and moving they are. I would GLADLY play Kai for people outside of the metal genre and say 'this guy can sing his ass off'. I've heard Pyramaze, and I'm not catching any outstanding vocal qualtiy difference you seem to be professing. They are both damn good singers if you ask me.

I mean, I'm not a fan of Bruce Dickinsons voice (which I know puts me in a minority) but I would never question his ability to sing - not when you have an arena full of people singing along the choruses with you because of how powerful and moving they are.
People sing along with nearly every word at Motley Crue concerts too... but doesn't mean Vince has a powerful voice.

I would GLADLY play Kai for people outside of the metal genre and say 'this guy can sing his ass off'. I've heard Pyramaze, and I'm not catching any outstanding vocal qualtiy difference you seem to be professing. They are both damn good singers if you ask me.
If you think Kai is on par with Lance, than you and I should just agree to disagree. We obviously hear and appreciate different things with respect to these two vocalists. Which isn't to say that either of us is right, just different.

Zod

I like Gamma Ray as a whole but I would not put Kai in my top 20 to 25 singers list. Maybe not even the top 35 or so. That is not to say that I don't like his voice and style, it is just to say that IMHO I think there are way more talented singers out there. I have never found myself to say Kai Hansen is a vocal god. Although I have nothing but respect for the guy and what he has done for the genre with Helloween and Gamma Ray. You can't argue that Helloween was better with Kai on vox vs. Kiske.