Who Isn't Ready for Anathema?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
I have watched the live DVD. I have listened to the albums multiple times. Multiple multiple times. But somehow a few tears came to my eyes this morning, forecasting weather patterns (listening to Weather Systems) on a Monday morning as Untouchable pt. 1 and 2 played through my speakers.

I hope I keep it together while watching Anathema at ProgPower. My metal vest has many stains, but tears will be a new one.

Anybody else feel this way?

Seen them once before and it was the best concert I've ever been to (Better than Rush, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Opeth, Steven Wilson, Agalloch and so many other beloved bands/shows).

Absolutely cannot wait!

I shelled out a couple of years ago to see them open for H.I.M. at Center Stage because I never thought I would have another chance to see them. I cannot wait for this.

I'd suggest starting with We're Here Because We're Here or Weather Systems if you want to get a sense of where the band is now. Or, if you're interested in taking a look at their older stuff, Judgement and Eternity. Or, if you're into death-doom, Serenades. Or, really, any of them.

Universal for sure. It gives you the perfect idea of what tone the performance will be. Beautiful, yet melancholy, with a sense of longing, which for this type of music is a particular sweet spot for me.

That's my single favorite video on all of Youtube. And my favorite Anathema song (apart from maybe Internal Landscapes)

I just hope they don't think they have to bring out a lot of the early doom stuff just because it's ProgPower, as I am mainly interested in their more recent output. But, this is easily my most anticipated set of this year's festival appearances.

For those unaware, this song was written after his mother's death. Watch his reaction at the 3:00 minute mark as the crowd takes over.

I still have a tough time even listening to this song.

You know my story about who I feel was my soulmate...
this is as crushing as any extreme brutal deal metal with the atmosphere and emotion

I always have a tough time with this one

I just hope they don't think they have to bring out a lot of the early doom stuff just because it's ProgPower, as I am mainly interested in their more recent output. But, this is easily my most anticipated set of this year's festival appearances.
I'm guessing they know that they got booked based on their recent output and will be focusing on it as they do with most of their touring. As much as I love their older material, I understand that the majority of the crowd at ProgPower - and that shows up to most of their shows - doesn't want to see it nearly as much.

They're still fantastic live, so zero complaints regardless of what they play.

Oh - I bought Universal about a year and a half ago. I don't have Blu-Ray, and the only way to get a DVD version was to order directly from the band via the UK (I don't know if that's still the case). You know it only cost me $22 *with* shipping? I fully expected it to be $30-$40 and would have happily shelled out the money for it.