Who Isn't Ready for Anathema?

I just hope they don't think they have to bring out a lot of the early doom stuff just because it's ProgPower, as I am mainly interested in their more recent output. But, this is easily my most anticipated set of this year's festival appearances.

I doubt they will play anything from that era, its not a doom festival afterall. But if they decided to throw 1 or 2 tracks from that period into the set not sure how that would be a negative thing at all. Songs like sleepless or a dying wish translate live very well amongst the music of their latter period.

Distant Satellites is a phenomenal album, and I'd put it right up there with this band's best. The struggle is that they have about five "best" discs. And the rest are fucking good too. Judgement, The Silent Enigma, Alternative 4, and Weather Systems are just fucking top notch, and exemplary statements of the genres they represent (as Anathema's sound has evolved quite a bit since the early days). Unstoppable.

I am just beyond happy to see them in the ProgPower atmosphere! I am grateful that Glenn took the chance of booking a non Power/Prog Metal band to headline... knowing us, his audience and how much we would appreciate it...

I'm sure I will loose it at some point in their set as their music has touched unlike anything else...

I doubt they will play anything from that era, its not a doom festival afterall. But if they decided to throw 1 or 2 tracks from that period into the set not sure how that would be a negative thing at all. Songs like sleepless or a dying wish translate live very well amongst the music of their latter period.

A Dying Wish woukd actually be quite cool

From what I hear they do occasionally sneak something in from this era...

I'm guessing they know that they got booked based on their recent output and will be focusing on it as they do with most of their touring. As much as I love their older material, I understand that the majority of the crowd at ProgPower - and that shows up to most of their shows - doesn't want to see it nearly as much.

They're still fantastic live, so zero complaints regardless of what they play.

I just really, really hope they play something off of Judgement.

Guy

With an extended set, and an acoustic performance, I could see them playing several songs from Judgement - "Deep," "One Last Goodbye," "Wings of God," "Forgotten Hopes," all of those have ended up on setlists over the past few months and years. So I'd hope to see at least a couple of those songs.

I really hope they have a lengthy set. There's just so much stuff off the middle albums that I want to hear in addition to the newer stuff.

I know I've already said it multiple times over the course of the past few months, but I'm so freaking excited about these shows!!

Last year was my first PPUSA and it made for an incredible two days. I was wearing my Anathema Universal shirt that first day and I remember thinking to myself- the only thing that could make all of this better would be if Anathema, my favorite band in the world, was here. I even allowed myself to fantasize about seeing the name pop up on the roster announcement video. At the time, though, I had no idea that Glenn even liked the band, so I never would have guessed that it could actually happen. It felt like such a wild pipe dream. Little did I know that I eould actually be sitting there, so satisfied from the Mercy Falls show, and that Anathema would be the headliner. Holy hell- I thought- is this proof of divine intervention? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

But I am incredibly grateful to Glenn and the rest of the PPUSA team for making it possible. And now, back to counting down the days...

Question to ask, how do you follow up such emotionally charged music for next year? *cough*Katatonia*cough*

TEASER from our interview with Vincent Cavanagh of Anathema for our printed festival program:

Milton: I always appreciated the fact that all of these transitions from album to album in Anathema's career sound so natural. And that includes a much deeper connection between the music and its lyrics to a lot of Anathema's fans. Case in point... Glenn Harveston.

ProgPower USA's founder and promoter, Glenn Harveston has said the following in public, "I connect the emotion in the lyrics and music like no other band in the planet. I am completely shutting my phone off for their set at ProgPower, That is my moment and the rest of the world can burn for all I care."

Vincent: (laughter) That is incredible. Yeah, I appreciate that, I hope we'll deliver what he wants from us. I think throughout the evolution of our band, or any band for that matter, if you force it...

My favorite part of Anathema is that I've listened to their stuff so much now that I don't even know what I want them to play but every time I run through Distant Satellites, Weather Systems and We're Here Because We're here I realize that I don't even fucking care what they play because I actually am familiar with all of it enough to know it's all fucking great.

My favorite part of Anathema is that I've listened to their stuff so much now that I don't even know what I want them to play but every time I run through Distant Satellites, Weather Systems and We're Here Because We're here I realize that I don't even fucking care what they play because I actually am familiar with all of it enough to know it's all fucking great.

Amen.

Great catalog, great band, but we need at least one death/doom era song --- A Dying Wish would be fantastic!