Your 2010 TOP TEN LIST

I think Disturbed's sound is quite unique. When you hear it, you know it's Disturbed or a lesser band ripping them off. And it seems that the more distinct a band's sound is, especially if it's an easily accessible sound, then the more likely it is that their songs will sound similar to one another.

It seems many people who dislike Disturbed, acknowledge the vocals are fairly strong. However, I'm not sure why the guitar player doesn't get similar kudos. While I appreciate he's not exactly Jorn Viggo, he's quite good at creating memorable riffs and melodic leads (especially on the last two discs). Certainly better than most of the players in the FM Rock space that I've heard.

For sure, they are unique for what they do. But I definitely think they would make a better Depeche Mode-ish band than they would a nu-metal band. Their Tears For Fears cover is one of the best things they've done (save for the weird rapping and animal noises) imo!

as of today these are my top 10 (in no particular order)

The Sword - Warp Riders
Cathedral - The Guessing Game
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart
The Crystal Caravan - Against the Rising Tide
Dio - Dio at Donington
Atlantean Kodex - The Golden Bough
Magnus Pelander - s/t
Black Country Communion - s/t
Gamma Ray - To the Metal

seventh wonder-the great escape
haken-aquarius
star one-victims of the modern age
frost*-the philadelphia experiment
avantasia-the wicked symphony
alterbridge-III
rose kemp-golden shroud
allen/lande-the showdown
solution.45-for aeons past
raunchy-a discordelectric

For sure, they are unique for what they do. But I definitely think they would make a better Depeche Mode-ish band than they would a nu-metal band. Their Tears For Fears cover is one of the best things they've done (save for the weird rapping and animal noises) imo!
That might be. I wouldn't say this about too many bands in the genre Disturbed are typically classified within (actually, probably none), but it will be interesting to see what they're writing in 10 years.

As for their run as a Metal band, you can't argue with the numbers. They're only the third Rock act in history to have four successive releases debut at #1 (Metallica and Dave Mathews being the other two). And while I'd certainly never argue that there's any correlation between commercial success and quality, it's fascinating that's they've accomplished what they've accomplished, given how little interest there is in Metal in the mainstream (in the U.S.).

As for their run as a Metal band, you can't argue with the numbers. They're only the third Rock act in history to have four successive releases debut at #1 (Metallica and Dave Mathews being the other two). And while I'd certainly never argue that there's any correlation between commercial success and quality, it's fascinating that's they've accomplished what they've accomplished, given how little interest there is in Metal in the mainstream (in the U.S.).

You know what I find interesting about that stat? 2 out of 3 of those bands are hard rock/metal. Despite whether you like them or not, I do find that quite interesting.

What about if we compromise and you watch paint dry on Disturbed?

Can I go all Sharon Osbourne on them? :loco:
maiden_eggs_exhibit.jpg

Been a great year for metal! :headbang:

1. Blind Guardian - At The Edge of Time
2. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
3. Fear Factory - Mechanize
4. Atlantean Kodex - The Golden Bough
5. Watain - Lawless Darkness
6. Overkill - Ironbound
7. Accept - Blood of the Nations
8. High on Fire - Snakes For The Divine
9. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
10. Rotting Christ - Aealo

Other albums that were considered for my top 10...

Immolation – Majesty & Decay
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Ghost – Opus Eponymous
Halford - Made of Metal
Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Dark Tranquility - We Are The Void
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
Drudkh – Handful of Stars
Sons of Liberty - Brush-Fires of the Mind
Briton Rites - For Mircalla
Helloween - 7 Sinners
Autopsy - The Tomb Within EP
The Crown - Doomsday King
Virgin Steele - The Black Light Bacchanalia
Hooded Menace - Never Cross The Dead
Blood Revolt – Indoctrine

Ok, so I may have to change my list here soon... I'm listening to the debut album from The Damned Things and it's pretty freaking awesome. It doesn't technically come out for a few more days but yeah.....lol If you guys haven't heard of them, but like Molly Hatchet-esque southern hard rock/metal definitely check this album out.

That might be. I wouldn't say this about too many bands in the genre Disturbed are typically classified within (actually, probably none), but it will be interesting to see what they're writing in 10 years.

Oh I'm not arguing that what they do isn't successful. I'm just being selfish haha. All the single soccer moms and Affliction-wearing college bros eat Disturbed up!

True. It's precisely why have no interest in seeing them tour... don't want to be any place where the douche factor is that high.

After seeing Mastodon 3 times in the past year and a half or so, I surmise that the bigger the band, the douchier the crowd.

I don't know if I can make a top 10 list out of the 2010 releases I get, Most of them don't do much for me and some are reissues of 80s stuff and so on. But...

I have not listened to the Blind Guardian yet though it has been here for months now. From what I hear it is ok. Still waiting on the Frobidden to come in but not holding my breathe on that one. My girlfriend said the Revamp really sucks so put that one one off until I have nothing else to spin. And as strange as it is for me the new Avantasia I really like. And the Star One is ok.
I actually get a lot of current releases in just not many seem to make an impression, usually spun once and then off to be shelved or whatever.
The new Accept is really good but I think the hype and the fact a lot of people are not use to hearing truely balls out heavy metal are getting a rush from it.

My favorite release of the year is Spiritual Beggars - Return To Zero. At first listen I thought this is the band Jorn needs, I don't think much of Jorn's band. But after further listen to the Spiritual Beggars I have come to like Apollo better I think. It certainly helps me see Jorn more clearly and see that Jorn is basically the same on every song he does much like Bruce Dickinson.
Well anyway this album just rules.