Your opinion needed here!

The band i think fits all the criteria are unfortunately no more...and that is Conception...
Close to that, (again, my opinion) is a band that has changed vocalists 3 times, and still hasnt made a bad album, and that would be Threshold.
and let me add this in...threshold's drummer is frickin incredible...ask anyone who saw them live at last progpower...
teri

97reb said:
Angra sucks! Angra are the fuckin Aquaman of bands. They are wimpy with the occasional exception, like "speed".
try these superheroes- Spiral Achitect, Vision Divine, and of course ZERO "f**kin" HOUR (hello!) !!!

Wow Vision Divine and Spiral Architect are two very different bands. LOL. I listened to some MP3s of Spiral Architect's work and the band's music is a little bit harder to swallow for most people who listen to metal. Its very random and off the wall in my opinion, but its still interesting to listen to. And I personally didn't like what Vision Divine did with their second cd, their first one was much better. And what is the "aquaman of bands" ???

Well, I might not should have put Vision Divine in there (I was drunk), but they do have more power than Angra. Spiral Architect are very technical and great musicians. If you like progressive metal, then you should give more than one or two songs a listen. I tried with Angra, I really did, but they really don't do it for me.

97reb said:
Well, I might not should have put Vision Divine in there (I was drunk), but they do have more power than Angra. Spiral Architect are very technical and great musicians. If you like progressive metal, then you should give more than one or two songs a listen. I tried with Angra, I really did, but they really don't do it for me.

Tight, huh?

teri said:
The band i think fits all the criteria are unfortunately no more...and that is Conception...
Close to that, (again, my opinion) is a band that has changed vocalists 3 times, and still hasnt made a bad album, and that would be Threshold.
and let me add this in...threshold's drummer is frickin incredible...ask anyone who saw them live at last progpower...
teri

Agreed, Teri, absolutely! Johanne is a monster on the skins. Couldn't stop watching him through the whole set. They've changed drummers more than they have singers--let's hope Johanne sticks around for a long, long time to come!

Lorraine

First of all, teri's absolutely dead on about Threshold's drummer (Johanne?)... he was amazing to watch! And that's coming from someone who's usually not too impressed by such things. :)

secondly, I don't think I can sum up in words what makes me like bands... technical competence is important, but (sacrilege to many, I know...) sheer ability does not a great band make. Many factors on the list I could agree with, but it's a case of some of it all the time, all of it some of the time, but not all of it all the time. Kind of. lol

However, something no one else has mentioned (that I've seen anyway) are the lyrics and the emotion of the singer. Maybe I'm the only one, but these factors, working together, are what tend to elevate bands from "oh, they're great" to "oh my fucking god" status. Cases in point are two of my favorite bands, tho I'd hardly call one "metal": Queensrÿche and Marillion. Conception hits this area for me as well, as do a few other bands from time to time, but for the most part, no one can touch Geoff Tate or Steve Hogarth for sheer emotion, and they consistently (well, some people have slippe din recent years...) turn out some of the best lyrics I have ever had the pleasure of coming into contact with.

As a bit of an aside... though I tend to agree with Raggi on how much it matters if they're nice guys or not, that never hurts. And a nicer bunch of blokes than Marillion there ain't!

okay, okay, eventually I'll quit babbling on about Marillion... ;)

Shaye

@ nightwish58 - Whichpart was tight, and for the love of metal (I must be missing it), what the hell does "tight" mean as some people are using it in the UM forums. The definition in the dictionary has so many different meanings, I find a two word response of, "Tight, huh?" to be ambiguous. parts ain't parts

97reb said:
@ nightwish58 - Whichpart was tight, and for the love of metal (I must be missing it), what the hell does "tight" mean as some people are using it in the UM forums. The definition in the dictionary has so many different meanings, I find a two word response of, "Tight, huh?" to be ambiguous. parts ain't parts

"Tight"

--Mike

NP: Jumpin' on the bandwagon...

Tight is a slang term..you are never going to find it in the context people use it now, in the dictionary. Its just another word for "cool". :Smokin:

lady_space said:
However, something no one else has mentioned (that I've seen anyway) are the lyrics and the emotion of the singer. Maybe I'm the only one, but these factors, working together, are what tend to elevate bands from "oh, they're great" to "oh my fucking god" status. Cases in point are two of my favorite bands, tho I'd hardly call one "metal": Queensrÿche and Marillion. Conception hits this area for me as well, as do a few other bands from time to time, but for the most part, no one can touch Geoff Tate or Steve Hogarth for sheer emotion, and they consistently (well, some people have slippe din recent years...) turn out some of the best lyrics I have ever had the pleasure of coming into contact with.

As a bit of an aside... though I tend to agree with Raggi on how much it matters if they're nice guys or not, that never hurts. And a nicer bunch of blokes than Marillion there ain't!

okay, okay, eventually I'll quit babbling on about Marillion... ;)

Shaye

OK I had to quote this because:
a. Lady_Space is DEAD ON with this statement
b. I am a Marillion fan :)

The only disagreement and small one at that, I feel that Fish was the emotion and the lyrical brilliance of Marillion. Not bashing H one bit, two of my all time favorite albums are Seasons' End and Brave. Hogarth has a phenomenal voice but Fish's words are/were poetry in motion. Not to many lyricist out there that can rival what Fish has done for Marillion especially on albums like Script for a Jesters Tear, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and in my opinion the greatest album to grace my universe Clutching at Straws.

For me Marillion - Clutching at Straws (absolute brilliance) signifies what this topic is all about. As for others I like, Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes (emotional roller coaster), Queensryche - Rage for Order (CHAOS and diversity), Porcupine Tree - in absentia (dark and mysterious), Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (spellbinding), Rush - Moving Pictures (intellectual), Dream Theater - Images and Words (*technical ecstasy), Faith No More - Epic -and- NIN - Pretty Hate Machine (the ultimate mind fucks)! :) There is a shit load of other bands like: Symphony X, Kamelot, Conception, Nighwish, Adagio, Evergrey, Frank Zappa (see FnM and NIN description :) ), Fates Warning, Gordian Knot and the list goes on!

* Had to borrow that from a Sabbath album!

You are 100% right about Marillion being a nicer bunch of blokes! :) I mean how many bands out there got their fan club to fund a tour to North America? In this damn age where record companies are lucky to promote a band playing at a used car lot, the fans not only spent money out of their pocket to bring them here but paid to see them in concert as well. In a sense also, we should be very thankful for the PP shows that Glenn and co-sponsors have been so great in bringing to us! Cheers! - Antonio \m/

teri said:
yep...that would be me...you wouldnt think teri was that unusual a name, but within the metal community i have run into none other...good for me, i guess...:)
you listen to the show?...
teri

Yes I do! I have listened to you before becuase you had to replace a DJ one night that was suppose to be on. Good show!! ^_^ I havent been listening to Seismic Radio lately just due to the fact that Iv been busy, but Im getting back into it at the moment.