YT: Kemper Profiling Amp - Rectifier

Yeah the match eq process is really damn good. I was able to get Guitar Rig's 5150 model to pretty much nail the frequency response of my engl fireball. Probably closer than some of the Kemper A/B clips I've heard. It's feel, response, gain and pick attack was naturally way off the mark though. The Kemper seems to do an excellent job getting those crucial areas right so while a match eq implementation would be cool it's amazing as it is! Will hopefully be profiling next month. BTW there's definitely been a big increase in the returned amp stock on Thomann hah

Can't wait till you get it:p

I really enjoy your youtube channel!

Did a quick test. This is NOT accurate. I used two open E chords that were played in this video at around 2:20 forward on both the real amp and Kemper. Now... as some of us noticed the Kemper had a tad more low end. Here are two curves that I made from this. The one on the right is something we can actually use. So... basically that's about 2,7dB more low end on the Kemper and another about -2dB's out from the top end. Again this might not be accurate in any way... it's just what I think is somewhat accurate. And like Ola said, once you start tweaking the knobs it doesn't really matter if the profile is 100% accurate.

kemper_accuracy.jpg

You can do a very accurate test, but you will not see the difference. Kemper just capture a IR's as a dynamical convolution, then it analyze it on intermodulation and solves equations, then it record solving of equation in KIPR format and you see the profile.

So were are all the metal amp profiles?

There are a handfull of amps per week that get uploaded on the kemper website, but nothing that makes me want this thing now.
Im about to pull the trigger on this beauty, but i have 2-3 profiles im interested in so far (Ola's rectumfrier offcourse, Ken Susi and mr Merrow's 5150's).. and there are not much new ones coming out.

Robert, when you get the Kemper we are gonna profile my Pre500 Dual Rectifier.
And also the Engl E530 preamp and the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp.

Went to thomann yesterday and tried the Kemper. All I can say is that it sounds fantastic, really... Also feels awesome to play. Spoke to the salesman afterwards (he did some of the profiles by himself) and he said that his profiles sound exactly the same the source sounded. sometimes he even preferred the sound of the Kemper and he loves the possibilities to tweak your sound afterwards on the Kemper. Think I will buy one sometimes :)

Went to thomann yesterday and tried the Kemper. All I can say is that it sounds fantastic, really... Also feels awesome to play. Spoke to the salesman afterwards (he did some of the profiles by himself) and he said that his profiles sound exactly the same the source sounded. sometimes he even preferred the sound of the Kemper and he loves the possibilities to tweak your sound afterwards on the Kemper. Think I will buy one sometimes :)

So they (Thomann) have some kind of Warehouse store (like a super Guitar Center thing) in Germany where you can go and try out gear ?

Nice ! Didn't know that (i thought they were strictly doing online retail).

yeah, thomann always worth a visit (if it's not too far away).. absolutely amazing place :)

ah, and off topic: also tested some monitors, really like the adam a7x.. guess i'll buy a pair quite soon

To be honest I didn't really like either of the tones but they do sound incredibly close. Seems like this is getting popular pretty fast and I'm really happy it might be serious competition for the axe fx which is raping people in the ass with their retarded prices. Also, I heard some talk that there's gonna be a rack version which I assume will be much more nicer aesthetically.
$1850 vs $2200

Yeah... retarded prices.

1399 euro vs 2299 euro looking at thomann & G66.

Anyhoo, going to grab myself and Union Jack skin and possible Zakk Wylde Bullseye skin.
Shouldn't they have 1 skin that profiles them all :p

You really can't argue that the Kemper isn't vastly cheaper than the Axe-FX. It just is.

But it's whether the Kemper gives you enough of what you need for it to be worth your while.

You really can't argue that the Kemper isn't vastly cheaper than the Axe-FX. It just is.

But it's whether the Kemper gives you enough of what you need for it to be worth your while.

Well said mate.
I'm just glad I can get skins now so it don't look so fugly

There is a small difference, but you guys have to remember what this thing is doing. Its straight up copying a freaking tube amp!

I think its very impressive and the tone you got in the latest video is so fat.

More appealing for studio use than an axefx in my opinion.

There is a small difference, but you guys have to remember what this thing is doing. Its straight up copying a freaking tube amp!

Pretty much. And it's also got to the point where those minute differences can't even really be heard as negatives. Sometimes they're positive! Like cleaning up the low-end for instance, of getting rid of some slight fizz.

I'd be more inclined to get a Kemper than an Axe-FX. The only thing is, I want to know how it performs in a live setting, through a real guitar cab. That kind of experiment could become quite costly! I also want to know how well it takes pedals, not distortion pedals necessarily, but reverbs and delays and flangers. Sometimes putting an analog pedal in front of a Pod for example, can sound pretty crappy.