Anyone who went last year

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I am from Florida and going to Progpower this year!!! I can't believe I am going to see Edguy, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian Live!!!! But this question is addressed to people who went last year. When sitting in the seats can you still see the stage well? Do the band members usually sign autographs? Or are they standoff'ish? Will they let you take pictures with them? And lastly are their alot of tables peddling CD's shirts and stuff? I know these questions are lame. But thanks for answering:D

1. There is not a bad seat in the house. It is an indoor amphitheater so to speak as they are all elevated.

2. I have short official signings for all bands during the event in the outer lobby (30 mins). The bands ususally make themselves available during the weekend and mingle with the fans. The smaller crowd allows this without them being mobbed. All bands were seen in the lobby throughtout the weekend. Pictures, autographs, etc are to be expected if they are in public.

However, it is an individual decision. I cannot vouch for the bands this year.

3. There are *numerous vendors* there. Bring lots of money.

Glenn H.

Bring lots and LOTS of money. Between Inside Out, Century Media, The Lasers Edge and Molten Metal (on top of the bands) there is just about any CD you could imagine. I could have easily spent $500 on CD's alone if I would have had the funds. I know some people came close and some probably did spend that much. Plus drinks are about 4.50 or $5 and this year the restaurant will be open.

On the other topics, The seats are great all around and the bands were very friendly.

JOhn
Underground Zine Scene
http://www.geocities.com/zinescene.geo

What Glenn said is dead on. Having gone last year, I can honestly say it's the best mid-sized venue I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot of shows. Additionally, all the bands were incredibly accessible.

GZ

I'm replying under my husband's name as I've forgotten my password. But, I go by WynterBytch and here's my 2 cents....

I can't speak for any of the bands actually, as I couldn't go last year. But my husband went and got to meet Dan Swano (among others!), but to answer the question about standoffish....

When he met Dan, he told Dan that I wanted to talk to him and Dan happily agreed. How's that for fan friendly? I wasn't even there and got to meet him!!!! :)

Every musician I met last year was great, including the ones that didn't actually come to play the show. Everyone I talked to was really nice, and everyone I saw waved hi in passing. The guys from Balance of Power were cool enough to let me hang with them all weekend. Evergrey and Angel Dust were easily approachable. Even Russ Allen took a few minutes to chat while he was waiting outside his hotel. Everybody was great last year, and I expect no less this year. :)

--Mike

Originally posted by Wishmaster
Every musician I met last year was great, including the ones that didn't actually come to play the show. Everyone I talked to was really nice, and everyone I saw waved hi in passing. The guys from Balance of Power were cool enough to let me hang with them all weekend. Evergrey and Angel Dust were easily approachable. Even Russ Allen took a few minutes to chat while he was waiting outside his hotel. Everybody was great last year, and I expect no less this year. :)
--Mike

With Blind Guardian headlining one night and then in Montreal the next, I have a feeling they won't be too chitchatty... heh...

With Blind Guardian headlining one night and then in Montreal the next, I have a feeling they won't be too chitchatty... heh...

I would hope that they show up early enough to hang out at any Gold Badge events and mingle for the early parts of Friday's show. They're a big band, so they should have enough roadies to get their stuff up to Canada overnight. :)

--Mike

Originally posted by zinescene
I could have easily spent $500 on CD's alone if I would have had the funds. I know some people came close and some probably did spend that much.

Yeah, I dropped close to $300 on cds last year..that's my usual MO, though, my big hauls normally happen at shows like ProgPower or Powermad..no shipping costs that way! :)

At which point should we buy CD's though? Is it during the show? It's just that I don't necessarily want to be holding a big bag full of CDs while the bands are playing...

If they do it like last year you can go in before the shows start and buy CD's or in between the band sets and get a pass to take them back to your hotel or car. They sell Cd's most of the night and I think they sold them right from beginning to end.

JOhn

Lady of the Oracle:
my big hauls normally happen at shows like ProgPower or Powermad

I'm stashing away my "Atlanta fund" already :) I want to be prepared to buy lots of CD's myself though getting them back to Michigan might be another story. Might have to get an extra suitcase.