Buy or Die

Metman

Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan
Jan 19, 2006
Long Island
Ken, can you clear up what you determine how a cd release qualifies a ""Buy or Die"" status. A lot of times I buy a cd based on that, Sometimes (or more) I get dissapionted after listening to the disc.. Im not trying to create a problem here just curious....:confused::confused:

Simply discs that in my opinion are essential. Discs that totally blow me away - rise above the pack - perhaps something that should be a cornerstone in your collection ie. Anglagard, Museo Rosenbach. Everyone's tastes are different. I suspect that you and I like very different types of music. A lot of the music you rave about I find very dispensable and I'm sure it works the other way for you as well. That's pretty normal. You should use your history of syncing up with my descriptions as your guide. If you find that you are constantly disagreeing with me then you should avoid my recommendations - perhaps go the other way and check out titles I don't say very much about. On the other hand if you find that you are pretty much in sync with my recommendations you can be pretty confident in your purchase. Its all personal taste and no 2 people can be perfectly in sync.

...or you can just go to the band's MySpace and check them out yourself before buying :p

The "buy or die" claim will definitely peak my interest but I'll never buy a disc just on that alone. I'll always check out MySpace or Youtube for some samples.

Fair Enuff... Im Basically a Neo-Prog guy, But Ive tried to reach out to other types of Prog. I guess Im still a rookie, only started getting into this after I found out about L/E..but didnt Know that Yes, P.Floyd , Genesis, Marillion etc, were concider Prog ......:) I first got intoduced to Prog. Music, from ""Arena"', "Pendragon""," I.Q." , '''Riverside '',""OSI"" etc..

Funny thread..... If you're not using my space or prog archives to hear samples then shame on you...

Most of the time Ken puts a buy or die I like it....

Simply discs that in my opinion are essential. Discs that totally blow me away - rise above the pack - perhaps something that should be a cornerstone in your collection ie. Museo Rosenbach.

The site doesn't have anything from Museo Rosenbach....:erk:

Yes, I just go to the band's homepage (or My space) & listen to samples.
Prog Archives is great; the only problem I have is the categories.
Often, for example, they will list a band as Neo-Progressive when in fact , it is Prog Metal.

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=37

For some reason Museo Rosenbach "Zarathustra" is out of print at the moment.

Ken, have you changed your view about PA?

Nice cornerstones, I'll add Osanna-Palepoli. Great album, it's classified as RPI of course but I'd say it's eclectic. Time signature changes galore, variety of keys (including mellotron), saxes, flutes, guitars, and drums/percussion.
Good singer.
You get hard rock/ blues screaming guitars, jazzy Krimsonian passages , quieter interludes . Too much to describe, I'm not doing this masterpiece justice-- Buy or Die

If Ken doesn't have it now, he has re-stocked it in the past.

I'm not sure I really have a view about PA. I rarely visit the site to be honest. My only issue is the owner of the site posting (and encouraging others to post) mp3s of our artists without our permission. I had to threaten legal action to have them removed. That was some time ago.

Am I missing something exciting?

I think it's an exciting site-- it's certainly added dollars from my pocket to you.

I was tweaking you a bit, I remember you responded vociferously some time back to a poster's complement of the site's available MP3's.

I sent you a long, snore, e-mail about the intellectual property rights issue. I didn't know but surmised your legal issues with them.

Do you(s) ever give them the right to any of your products?

Thanks to me being well stocked in music I love now, I won't buy anything unless I hear samples. I know there's "Myspace" and band's sites to sample but I owe a lot to the many knowledgeable PA reviewers, thus my defense.

You've been mentioned glowingly on the site. I don't get the impression they were sucking up, just a mutual love we all have. Will some kind of accord be reached?

No, I'm not a PA member.

They have no rights to use our music without our permission. There is no discord because I made it clear to Max that I will enforce my rights. That settled the matter. Last year we did an ad campaign on PA for Delain. I would probably do something with the site again.

I have poked around the forum and found a general disinterest in our mail order and labels so I don't spend any significant time on the site. It's not a personal thing I assure you.

By the way, we have an extensive library of mp3s on our label site: www.lasersedgegroup.com

I detest categories or genreisations!!

They don't work for me; but they MAY work for you!! :heh:

Paul, I totally agree with you. For me, it's the music that matters not the category or style. What I appreciate about this forum is the diverse musical tastes we all have and a willingness to share knowledge. I've learned a lot from many Posters.:)

They have no rights to use our music without our permission. There is no discord because I made it clear to Max that I will enforce my rights. That settled the matter. Last year we did an ad campaign on PA for Delain. I would probably do something with the site again.

I have poked around the forum and found a general disinterest in our mail order and labels so I don't spend any significant time on the site. It's not a personal thing I assure you.

By the way, we have an extensive library of mp3s on our label site: www.lasersedgegroup.com

I would've told Max to cease and desist as well.

Could you be underestimating the "wander" customers available on PA? It did put my fanny in Laser's seat. (unintended scatology:oops:)

We get customers from all different sources - we've been in business for 22 years so people know us. I'm sure there is a component of people on PA that buy from us. I just don't see us getting talked up much on the site so I rarely visit. I tend to spend my time annoying people on www.progressiveears.com.