Gigantour Second Stage Bands

Dig that Bowie endorsement, especially Ziggy Stardust stuff...
And what about Police-era Sting?

Also, anybody who likes rock/metal, some prog stuff, and good 'pop' stylings should check out recent Deep Purple albums, starting with '95's 'Pupendicular'. Killer album featuring Steve Morse on guitar after Blackmore's departure.... Comfotable as old tennis shoes and coooold beer.

metal71 said:
And what about Police-era Sting?

One of the first bands I ever got into - along with Rick Springfield, Def Leppard, and Styx.

I only recently got into Bowie's music, which is very, very unusual because a lot of the music I like that cannot be traced back to Black Sabbath can be traced back to him (and somewhat relatedly, I'm a longtime fan of the movie "The Hunger") ;) ). But I'll say, I'm thankful to BMG music club, for offering most of Bowie's early music for dirt cheap - and in the remastered editions, no less.

Those acts mentioned, along with many more (The Sweet, Cheap Trick, The Marvelous 3, man the list does go on) showed that there is nothing wrong or dishonorable in a good pop song.

That being said, I think that most pop music of today blows and blows hard. But I have noticed that things are starting to come around again - a lot of pop acts are beginning to rediscover guitars. Britney Spears' career circling the drain shows that some pop music listeners are starting to wake up, thankfully.

Starting to use guitars again really doesn't mean anything. Britney Spears has a guitarist anyway, I've seen him advertise products in Guitar World. The only difference is the image is changing. They're dealing with an audience that's growing up, and so they're changing the way they market their product.

What I'd like to know is, why is a hard rock band considered "pop" because they stylistically share similarities with Linkin Park or Korn (or more recently, Killswitch Engage), but all the Hammerfall or Dream Theater clones aren't? Couldn't you say that all the third-rate power and progressive bands out there are merely marketing their product to a built-in audience as well?

Well, technically, by definition of Prog there can't really be any "third-rate" prog bands because prog bands are supposed to be doing something new, not copying other things.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Well, technically, by definition of Prog there can't really be any "third-rate" prog bands because prog bands are supposed to be doing something new, not copying other things.

Oh really? Is that why i have all these prog discs waiting for review that sound exactly like Dream Theater minus Labrie? I guess they couldn't find anyone who sucks quite like him...

At any rate, in your post, "supposed" is the operative term. In fact, many things are "supposed" to be or not be, but that doesn't really stop these events from occuring. I've never heard of a Dream Theater worship band go 'oh, to be prog, we're not supposed to copy? Shit. Back to the drawing board.' No... they crank right along and release album after album.

Also, an interesting point. When a band plays music exactly in the style of Dream Theater. By your definition, since they didn't expand the boundries of 'prog' any, then they aren't prog. So what does that make them?

Well, I agree that things don't always apply to the definitions. I really don't know. There's the real definition of "progressive," which means moving forward. But somehow, progressive has apparently come to mean for a lot of people to just be technical and play fast and you're done.......which is obviously not the definition of "progressive," but it is what some bands are doing. I think there's a difference in the "Prog" genre between people who are heavily influenced by classic "prog-rock" and people who want to do something new with music. I wouldn't hold Dream Theater up as the definition of progressive, but they have become that for a lot of people.

So yeah....that's not what "progressive" is, but it's what "Prog-Metal" has become......not for all bands, though.

I think the important thing here is that at the end of the day, no matter whats prog or pop, or whats artistic or entertainment, whatever is legitimate creative music and whatever is processed gibberish for the masses, whatever bands Mustaine chooses, be it Taproot, Symphony X, Overkill, whoever, one thing is for certain...KREATOR FUCKING OWNS YOU :headbang:

Metropolis Part 2 said:
What bands do you consider "Third Rate" Power and Prog?

I choose not to name names. The reason being is that I don't want to offend the fans of those bands. Some people are wired to enjoy certain styles. I have a couple of friends who will buy just about anything that they see on eBay that is compared to Hammerfall or Manowar. However, a lot of those bands sound faceless and derivative to someone who is not into that style. Same goes for some of the "prog metal" out there. One thing I will agree with Barking Pumpkin on is that progressive metal is supposed to be about pushing boundaries, and that no true progressive metal band is overly derivative. However, there is a formula that some of these bands stick to. And my argument is, some of these acts seem like they are deliberately following a rote formula for their built-in audience, sure as some of these radio bands are.

That aside, I'd like to point out that the reason I like ProgPower as much as I do is because Glenn picks genuinely good, vital acts. I can't say that I have felt like any of the acts I have seen at the festival have been these cut rate acts that I am referring to.

I just don't think that every band that gets labelled as "nu metal," or whatever hard rock variant is popular amongst the mainstream, are necessarily commercial whores. I think a lot of those bands genuinely enjoy making the music they do. I think the real enemy is not the bands themselves, but the media overlords who pick one style of hard rock, focus on that and then run it into the ground while ignoring other viable genres.

Ruthven said:
I just don't think that every band that gets labelled as "nu metal," or whatever hard rock variant is popular amongst the mainstream, are necessarily commercial whores. I think a lot of those bands genuinely enjoy making the music they do. I think the real enemy is not the bands themselves, but the media overlords who pick one style of hard rock, focus on that and then run it into the ground while ignoring other viable genres.

Absolutely agree with this.

Hell, it's this 'media overlord' mindset that has 'gifted' America with rap and hip-hop. The tide might be turning somewhat, as people begin to realize how truly musically bankrupt that entire scene is, but you'd never know it from reading, e.g., the music coverage in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

If this thread (and all others) have proven anything, it's that this Barking Pumpkin kid has a response for everything. Will everybody please just let him have the last word so that he feels better about himself? It just reminds me of what the great Denis Leary said: "You're eighteen, you work in a 7-Eleven, you don't know shit about shit, and pull up your pants!" Now let's just continue rocking, shall we?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

From Blabbermouth...

MEGADETH's MUSTAINE: Final GIGANTOUR Bands To Be Announced In Next Several Days - Apr. 30, 2005

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has posted the following message in the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"On Thursday I went up to LA to meet with my management for some important decisions about this summer.

"First up was a friendly visit to ESP Guitars and Allen Steelgrave. We talked about the summer in both tours of Euro/UK and the US Gigantour, and how much fun we had doing meet and greets at music stores and that we would like to do some again while out on the road. I also suggested that Glen and I do some guitar clinics, although I have no idea what a clinic is. ESP is also considering being one of the sponsors for Gigantour and we have a really kewl idea that we are working on and will reveal soon.

"Next was a meeting with Kevin Flaherty and Stacey Freeman of EMI about the Greatest Hits record 'Back to the Start' and the DVD for the bonus package. I am satisfied with the package and have given my approval on everything involved and we are now headed for an official summer release. There are some really rad surprises on this, like I mentioned before, and I hope you like them!

"Next was a top-secret telephone call overseas to the possible headliner of our second stage, followed by an even more secretive meeting for lunch with a new company we are going to work with. Suffice to say, you will notice a HUGE change around 'all-things-mega' real soon.

"Finally, I met with my agent Keith Sarkisian of William Morris to pick the final bands for the second stage, Also to select the band that is going to fill in for DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN for the first few days on the main stage until they join up with Gigantour.

"We will be making a statement of who they are in the next several days. I told James and Shawn who they were and they were stoked!!! So if that tells you anything, we are in good company. I actually look forward to hearing all of them on this tour and hope to make their careers stronger with the success of Gigantour.

"As far as SYMPHONY X goes, hey their agent is talking to our agent. Someone here has a left hand that doesn't know what the right hand is doing. We would like to see them on, as does Mike Portnoy — who recommended them — but I understand if they are focused in on their new offering. And if it doesn't work out, I wish them the very best in the studio.

"The list is complete with back-ups for the bands that are on, in case they can't stay out on tour, or there are any matters that they would have to unfortunately end early. I hope that all of my first choices and the guest for stage one accept my invitation, but it's not like I have never been told no before."

---

Oops... did I bring this thread back on-topic? :Spin: Just an FYI for anyone interested in this tour.

--Mike

IMO, Symphony X is making a big mistake if they got offered this tour and declined. I know they are working on a new CD but it's only a six week tour, but with massive exposure. I don't care if it's only for a 20-30 minute set. It could be huge for a band like them. Hopefully Overkill and POS are in the running still. I would love to see the Testament reunion line-up on there too. Maybe there still is a chance for Symphony X though. Dave didn't totally rule them out. We will see next week it seems.

Ooooooo a call overseas to the second stage headliner. If that only includes the bands in the original second stage list, that means it's PoS, right?

I think all I need to say is this:

If Dave Mustaine has personally listened to all the bands mentioned as possiblities, all the better for him. If he enjoyed the schooling, whoo-hoo!!

Sure, Sym X has their buzz these days (proven by Portnoy's thumb up), but P of S are more or less total unknowns n North America outside of Glenn's domain, and barely that anyway.

That's it for me.

Wishmaster said:
"Next was a top-secret telephone call overseas to the possible headliner of our second stage, followed by an even more secretive meeting for lunch with a new company we are going to work with. Suffice to say, you will notice a HUGE change around 'all-things-mega' real soon.

So maybe Pain Of Salvation could really be on this? Whatever I said earlier, this is good in the end. Even if it's a short set, I guess they'll be paving the way for a real US tour. Even the best bands ever have to start somewhere.....unfortunately.