Judas Priest, Whitesnake , Popevil 2009 Tour Dates

By the way, you seem to really hold Judas Priest in high regard, but they experimented with a much more "commercial" sound back then as well.

~Brian~

That's why Painkiller is their best album...no commercial sound whatsoever. They decided to stop doing "Breaking the Law" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" and did a balls-to-the-wall speed metal extravaganza...and it's by and large the best album they ever did.

And most of my despisal of 80s pop "metal" isn't with the musicianship. Vai is an undisputed legend, and I'm sure the other Whitesnake alum have more than held their own. But the fact that those bands get lumped into the metal genre does kind of piss me off. There are great musicians in any style, but it doesn't mean they play anything but the style they play. But the songs that have made Whitesnake popular make me cringe so much that it really discourages me from delving deeper into what might actually be a decent discography. I just know that what I've heard from them has never had the oomph or metal fury of something like "Freewheel Burning" or "Exciter".

But the songs that have made Whitesnake popular make me cringe so much that it really discourages me from delving deeper into what might actually be a decent discography. I just know that what I've heard from them has never had the oomph or metal fury of something like "Freewheel Burning" or "Exciter".

That's because they aren't a metal band. At it's core, Whitesnake is a heavy blues-rock band, and in the '80s they polished that a bit. Agreed that the ballads that had heavy airplay are a bit cheesy, but even on their monster-hit '80s albums, they had some great Zeppelin-inspired material.

My personal favorite album of theirs is Slide it In. It was a precursor to the albums that made them huge and contains great songwriting without the '80s-sounding sheen.

Oh, and David Coverdale is a *great* singer, no matter how you cut it.

I guarantee my attendance at the Cleveland concert. In my opinion Whitesnake is one of the greatest bands of all time. Whitesnake has had some phenomenal guitar players ( John Sykes! :OMG:) and of course David Coverdale is one of the greatest singers of all time! Not a big Judas Priest fan at all, but It would be good for my metal resume to see them at least once heh.

While I'd love to see either the Priest or Metallica tours that are finally coming through Atlanta, I'll be damned if I'll pay 70/80/90 dollars just for them in such a large venue. Seats at a metal show? Fuck that.

Plus, not to ruffle too many more precious ProgPower forum feathers (probably will), but Whitesnake? Really? They're still relevant at all?

Now that's just silly talk... Whitesnake will always be relevant.

Painkiller the best JP release? No way, I'd say it's a tie between Stained Class & Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine, me leaning a bit more towards the latter.....JMHFO :)

Priest and Whitesnake have the same booking agent..but aside from that it's a great mix, the girls will come out to see WS and the guys will be out for Priest, both should have new fans before the day is done. I'll be catching 2 if not 3 shows.:headbang::Smokin:

Considering the demographics of this audience those attending could consider handing out PPUSA X fliers. Especially at the Atlanta show.

I've never seen Priest or Whitesnake so I'm hoping to see this tour. I thought it was a strange combination of bands. A metal band, a bluesy hard rock and and a modern rock band. To me Popevil isn't that bad. I like the song on the radio ok but I could think of lots of other bands I'd rather see open up.

Coverdale was a god back in the day. Although he borrowed heavily from Plant, he was a far better singer than Plant. However, his voice is now shot. We saw Whitesnake at Sweden Rock, and as best as we could tell, he had the aid of a backing vocal track.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to hear the classics, belted out by the original artists. However, by and large, I find I'd rather hold on to my memories of these bands as they were in their glory days, than see them now, as old men. It's why I passed on the last three Crue tours.

Zod

I have seen Priest live twice, and on the whole I found them to be considerably boring. Mostly just standing in one place and occasional choreographed headbanging. My vantage point at either show probably didn't help, but it's just the vibe I got.
I'm upset that this tour is happening because I'd rather see Whitesnake for the first time than Priest for the third, and I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for tickets. As has already been discussed, I feel that Whitesnake are FAR better than than the status quo, "lets make fun of 80s metal" crowd would have you believe. Tons more substance in their music than a lot would give them credit for, and John Sykes and Doug Aldrich are two of my favorite guitarists of all time.
And I am just one more person agreeing that Pop Evil is fucking terrible.

Zod,
I must agree with you on this one. I generally tend to enjoy the lesser and up and coming bands more than the "classics". I saw a lot of these bands in their prime back in the 80s and have little interest in seeing them today. While I understand those who haven't seen them, or want to relive the old times, I just disagree.
Case in point, AC/DC came around last December, I gave that a yawn. However, Coheed and Cambria played four nights in NYC last October and I was perturbed because I could only make the last two nights.
For some reason, the metal bands don't seem to age well. I'm still deciding on whether I want to see Queensryche on this tour. I have this mental debate every time they tour. First saw them on the Rage tour, last saw them on the Promised Land Tour. I tend to have the same mental debate with Rush as well.

Not sure if this was helpful to anyone, but it does remain my opinion.

Scott

Coverdale was a god back in the day. Although he borrowed heavily from Plant, he was a far better singer than Plant. However, his voice is now shot. We saw Whitesnake at Sweden Rock, and as best as we could tell, he had the aid of a backing vocal track.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to hear the classics, belted out by the original artists. However, by and large, I find I'd rather hold on to my memories of these bands as they were in their glory days, than see them now, as old men. It's why I passed on the last three Crue tours.

Zod

Case in point, AC/DC came around last December, I gave that a yawn. However, Coheed and Cambria played four nights in NYC last October and I was perturbed because I could only make the last two nights.
I think some people love nostalgia. And there's nothing wrong with that. However, I'd prefer to leave my memories untarnished and spend my concert going hours with bands who are in their prime.

For some reason, the metal bands don't seem to age well.
Metal is about being young, broke and pissed. It's about aggression, angst and sexual energy (<- back in the 80s). None of these characteristics are embodied by 57 year old frontmen.

I'm still deciding on whether I want to see Queensryche on this tour. I have this mental debate every time they tour. First saw them on the Rage tour, last saw them on the Promised Land Tour. I tend to have the same mental debate with Rush as well.
If those are your last memories of QR, pass on this tour. The only reason I went was they completely soiled themselves on the Q2K tour, and there was no sacred memory left for them to tarnish.

Zod