Matt Barlow is back with Iced Earth! Good choice or bad?

Matt Barlow is back in Iced Earth! What do you think?

• Matt belongs in Iced Earth!

Votes: 88 80.7%
  • Ripper was better for Iced Earth

Votes: 21 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Barlow would be better at singing Ripper's stuff than Ripper trying to sing like barlow on the older material. That is the only reasoning I am using. They both can sing their own stuff perfect, but Barlow to me would be better at singing Rippers.

Negative...but you keep on thinking that...you are entitled to your opinion. ;)

Unless Barlow has been singing more than we think do you really think he can pull the Ripper stuff off. I almost put money that GB and FA material will be absent in the setlist. Like they never happened!

Unless Barlow has been singing more than we think do you really think he can pull the Ripper stuff off. I almost put money that GB and FA material will be absent in the setlist. Like they never happened!

Seeing as Framing Armageddon was part 1 in the story and the new album will be part 2, I have a real hard time believing they will start ignoring FA.

for anyone who cares and has access to XM satellite radio, Eddie Trunk will be interviewing Jon Shaffer (at the very least) this evening on XM41 The Boneyard. Tune in and let's see what he has to say.

I turned it on a few minutes ago and just missed 'Old School' from Overkill's ReliXIV. :erk: I had thought of calling up sometime to request that one, since Eddie Trunk is featured on that song.

anyway, tune in soon and listen to what's going on with Iced Earth... :headbang:

~Hoyt.

On talent alone does anybody think Barlow actually has more talent than Tim? No way in hell. I won't put anything past Schaffer at this point.

sorry - miscommunication from my wife, who was on the road earlier and called me telling me to turn on Eddie Trunk because he was going to be talking to Iced Earth in a little while. She misunderstood. Because instead, he just talked about the singer situation himself. He did say that he emailed Tim Owens to ask him what was going on and received a short response from Tim saying he did not feel like talking about it yet. Eddie spoke fondly of Tim, saying that the email response eluded to the fact that he was not happy with the situation. So apparently it did catch Tim by surprise.

And I'm telling you all of this as a Barlow fanboy. So it's relayed just as I heard it.

and for the record, although I am a self-professed Barlow fanboy, I do like the Iced Earth Framing Armageddon release. And I was looking forward to part two with Owens on the vocals. My first gut reaction when I was told Barlow was coming back was "what about Part II?". So while I'm quite happy that Matt is returning, I think the timing could have been better. I believe I would have been satisfied with Part II recorded with Tim on vocals.

I've always liked Tim's vocals, even when he was in Priest. I was lucky enough to catch them twice here in Atlanta and really enjoyed the show each time. Metal Gods never sounded better. :heh: And when Iced Earth came through a couple or three years ago with Evergrey and CoB, I was really impressed with Tim on vocals. Dracula was amazing!!! And when they pulled off the entire GB trilogy, it was a jaw-dropping experience. They were relentless!

anyway, there you have it from a BFB. Always have been; always will be. :worship:

Well after Framing Armageddon, Tim became one of my favorite singers. His range of emotion and energy is unparalleled right now. However, Barlow is also one of my favorites.

I guess I care more about what this does to Tim though, than what it means for the band.

Barlow can not sing Rippers songs. Tim's Power Metal vocal style is second only to Halford's. It still blows me away that John put out 2 awsome cd's with one of the best power metal singers in history and was crucified, Demons and wizards 2nd disc was put to the cross with statements that he couldnt write good music anymore. He has been beat down on this forum as well as others, ect ect. But now Barlow is back to save the day, unfortunatly the only thing he is saving is John and Iced Earth from the "fans". Just let me say Thanks John for 2 incredible Iced Earth cds and the second Demons and wizards kicked ass.

I just feel so much for Tim he is easily one of the best singers ever in metal and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. No fear that he won't rebound with next Beyond Fear and hopefuly as singer for Winters Bane which when Tim was in that band put out one of the greatest power/trad metal CD's ever from a US band. I have never see Barlow live in person that is the only plus in a bizarre week.

Well, when I saw Iced Earth with Ripper he sounded like total crap singing the old material(amazing on the GB material though) and I know Barlow can hit the high notes like Ripper, maybe not as high, but I know he has it in him to and i think he could pull off Ripper's stuff if he damn well wanted to. I could easily of heard Barlow singing on GB. Barlow just has such a fuller voice and Ripper's just sounds hollow and emotionless to me, but of course that is just my opinion. I like Ripper on the 2 cds he did, but I still think Barlow owns. I just want to hear Dracula live next time I see them and hear it done right, along with all the older material.