Matt Barlow is back with Iced Earth! Good choice or bad?

Matt Barlow is back in Iced Earth! What do you think?

• Matt belongs in Iced Earth!

Votes: 88 80.7%
  • Ripper was better for Iced Earth

Votes: 21 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a drummer, but I can tell when somebody is singing with emotion or not just like when I can tell if a drummer is or not. Ripper just doesn't sing with the emotion that Barlow can. Listening to ripper by himself and no band or acoustically, Barlow would blow him out of the water.

...he just talked about the singer situation himself. He did say that he emailed Tim Owens to ask him what was going on and received a short response from Tim saying he did not feel like talking about it yet. Eddie spoke fondly of Tim, saying that the email response eluded to the fact that he was not happy with the situation. So apparently it did catch Tim by surprise.

Not surprised at all about that! There will, it seems be some bad blood for some time for thst; I'd imagine! & yes, the timing was the bad part too, I agree! Also, I am surprised thta Pyramaze didn't make any sort of announcement yet either!

& speaking of Eddie Trunk, it's too bad VH1 won't let him play any of the modern underground Metal vids like say: I.E., B.G., etc.; since the Nu-Metal Ball won't play them!!!:devil: BASTARDS!!!!

Also, I am surprised thta Pyramaze didn't make any sort of announcement yet either!
A statement from Michael has been posted on www.pyramaze.com

"Hello dear friends,

As most of you know by now, Matt has joined forces with his old band Iced Earth again. Like any other metal music lover we in Pyramaze are excited about the prospect of Jon and Matt working together again. But this reunion has created some speculations in the metal community towards Matt's future in Pyramaze, and I can put all the pyra-fans at ease, and tell you that Matt is still a full member of Pyramaze, and the only change is that now you'll get Matt in a double dose ;-) I'm happy to tell you that last week Matt's wife gave birth to a healthy little boy. Because of this happy event sleep has become an "elusive guest" for Matt and his wife, but as soon as the Barlow family regains some "normality" and sleep is back on the menu, Matt will prepare a statement for you. The recording of our new album has not been delayed, and dates for our vocal recording and final mix/master session are still the same. That's it for now, and the next time we've got news here on the page, it will be Matt's statement.

Michael Kammeyer"

A statement from Michael has been posted on www.pyramaze.com

"Hello dear friends,

As most of you know by now, Matt has joined forces with his old band Iced Earth again. Like any other metal music lover we in Pyramaze are excited about the prospect of Jon and Matt working together again. But this reunion has created some speculations in the metal community towards Matt's future in Pyramaze, and I can put all the pyra-fans at ease, and tell you that Matt is still a full member of Pyramaze, and the only change is that now you'll get Matt in a double dose ;-) I'm happy to tell you that last week Matt's wife gave birth to a healthy little boy. Because of this happy event sleep has become an "elusive guest" for Matt and his wife, but as soon as the Barlow family regains some "normality" and sleep is back on the menu, Matt will prepare a statement for you. The recording of our new album has not been delayed, and dates for our vocal recording and final mix/master session are still the same. That's it for now, and the next time we've got news here on the page, it will be Matt's statement.

Michael Kammeyer"

WOW! :eek: I for one think that's pretty cool, but hectic! What if both bands wanted to tour at the same time?? Also, while I think it's great that Matt's back, is sucks that I.E. will tour & record more rarely then before it seems due to Matt STILL being a cop as well as a singer in 2 major Metal bands! :eek: I never got to see them live when they were touring somewhat sparsely in the USA BEFORE this happened! Damn! I wonder if I'll EVER get to see them live in person & how far must I travel in order to do so??!!! Bittersweet news indeed!:erk:

You obviously know nothing about vocals...tone, pitch, range, etc. But...you do have your opinion...so you've got that going for you. :)

wtf does knowledge of tone, pitch, range and whatnot have to do with the fact that Tim actually does sound hollow and emotionless when the songs demand otherwise?

I mean, Tim is a great vocalist, so is Matt, but for Iced Earth? I will go with Matt all the way...right now, no one in metal can hit those deep lows AND sing those high tones with much emotion like Matt can.

No amount of music theory knowledge can replace feeling.

No amount of music theory knowledge can replace feeling.

Noone said anything about music theory...that's another discussion. But, to a person who lacks the understanding of what it takes to be a good vocalist...all that's left is a matter of opinion. Only valuable to the person who is spouting it.

Tim does not sing with emotion? Are you kidding? This is not the only example but on Gettysburg 1863 not many vocalists in metal could pull that off with the emotion that Tim does espically on part 3 High Water Mark. Toward the end of that Tim's emotion to me is unparrelled!

Well, maybe it is just me, but screaming is not equal to emotion.

And i never said Tim wasn't good, I particularly enjoyed his vocals in Judas Priest's Jugulator album... technically he might be the better singer here, but like I said, you cant learn emotion from a book, and emotion is what Iced Earth needs in their music. Glorious Burden sounded hollow, though Framing Armageddon was a definite improvement.

And Ascension, what does it take to be a "good" vocalist? "Good" being an opinion of course...:loco:

Well, maybe it is just me, but screaming is not equal to emotion.

If you hit your hand really hard with a hammer resulting in a scream/yell...what emotion would that represent?

A scream itself is an outpouring or explosion if you will of emotion. l think Tim does this better than anyone. Apparently, you don't know what emotion is...just like you don't know what makes a vocalist. :rolleyes:

TBJ said:
And Ascension, what does it take to be a "good" vocalist? "Good" being an opinion of course...:loco:

l couldn't begin to tell you here...maybe face to face. But in that case, l'd be glad to show you. ;)

Tim does not sing with emotion? Are you kidding? This is not the only example but on Gettysburg 1863 not many vocalists in metal could pull that off with the emotion that Tim does espically on part 3 High Water Mark. Toward the end of that Tim's emotion to me is unparrelled!

Absolutely. :headbang:

TBJ the Gettysburg Trilogy is anything but screaming. During the end of High Water Mark am I the only one that feels Tim emotions in the last part of the song.

Ascension I was writing at the same time my friend good to see I am not the only one blown away by Tim's delivery on GB and espically on Gettysburg!

Apparently, you don't know what emotion is...just like you don't know what makes a vocalist. :rolleyes:

Constant high pitched screaming is not, and will never mean emotion to me, if that were the case then the singer from 3 Inches of Blood Or Dani from Cradle of Filth would be the most emotional singers in the world(and universe as well).

Once again, I have not said Tim is not a good singer, he in fact, is, however, I am talking about how he "fits" in the band, and this is not just my opinion, tell me that Tim can sing A question of Heaven more emotionally than Matt. Also tell me that Dante's Inferno would sound better with Tim. Please also tell me that When the Eagle Cries sounds emotional and heartfelt. It doesn't. It sounds empty, no lows at all. It is all mid range, and up, which might work in a song like The Reckoning, but not in a song that requires sadness and pure emotion, like a ballad.

Can Tim go as low as Matt does in Dante's Inferno? Can Matt go as high as Tim does in the Reckoning or any other of his songs?

I never heard Tim sing Dante's Inferno, in fact, i don't think they even played it after matt left. But i did hear him sing Dracula and various other old songs, and he did an "ok" job with them, didnt make them his own like matt did with the pre-burnt offerings songs. Now, can Matt sing The Reckoning, Ten Thousand Strong, The Clouding? I am pretty sure he can. He can go almost as high as Tim does, and he has proven this on record, and live.

If being versatile does not make a vocalist "good", like Matt is, then please enlighten me.

I very much feel despair and failure in vocals the last third of Gettysburg. I think tim translates that just as good as any metal singer EVER.

Both of these vocalists bring emotion in different ways to the table.

Tim conveys anger and regret in one breath in a way that Matt can not.
Where Matt can convey introverted, reflective emotions in a way Tim can not.

I still say, the two together would equal an unequaled Iced Earth.