Nevermore drops off the Symphony X tour

Lyrically, I'd agree with you; but musically, nah.

I mean, the title track I thought was really good, but everything just sounded (for lack of a better word) impotent. You could literally hear that there were problems within the band's structure because everything just seemed phoned in. Sounded like Jeff wrote some riffs and emailed them to Warrel who wrote the vocals and when it was all done they went into the studio. It not feel like the same band who spent all that time working on This Godless Endeavor, spending all that time locked up in England getting the best performances they could get, trying new fresh ideas etc. This album just seemed lame on every level. I am not surprised at all to be reading interviews that the band almost broke up after TGE was released. This album absolutely sounded like it.

The vocals in particular just sounded incredibly uninspired. He kept saying in his twitter feeds about how how venomous his performance was going to be, claiming to bring back the Sanctuary screams. None of it went down. He sounds so bored on his CD.

well, at least it's better than Enemies of Reality. Topping TGE would have been a little bit impossible.

I'm a huge Nevermore fan. Been listening to them since the beginning and Sanctuary before that. I don't think they've ever put out a bad album (including Enemies which was much better after Andy Sneap cleaned it up). But I was definitely disappointed in last year's album, especially after waiting 5 years for it.

well, at least it's better than Enemies of Reality. Topping TGE would have been a little bit impossible.

I don't think Enemies per say is a bad album. It just had terrible production, but if you got the better mastered version, it's pretty listenable. I agree that there's almost no way they could have topped TGE as it's my personal favorite of theirs; however, they could've had something in that vein or gotten close. They didn't. From what I read though in Warrel interviews they approached the songwriting very different this time around than in past albums where they tried to confine the songs. Sometimes I think bands should just stick with the way they're used to writing. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Believe it or not ( I hardly do ), buy Ticketbastard actually gave me a refund... I would have still gone if the show was local, but a 4 hr round trip for a band I've seen 4 times.... No.

Hm. Maybe My perception of it as being a pretty good albums stems from my not having had any expectations of it before it came out.

I got to see Nevermore for I when they pretty much just came out touring for their first album. I think they were touring with Death. Great show. Got to hang with all of them for a little bit too, cool guys. Sucks though for everyone wanting to go see them for this show:/

I'll never understand why people hate Enemies Of Reality. Those that didn't like the mix should have been appeased with the remix. It's the most ferocious album Nevermore ever put out, and I have yet to hear any band to this day write riffs half as vicious as that CD. It's pissed off, catchy and defines modern metal. Did you not like like it because you expected ballads or something?

I mean, how could you not fap to this song?

Or this? It's this kind of shit that I miss when I listen to Obsidian Conspiracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never understand why people hate Enemies Of Reality. Those that didn't like the mix should have been appeased with the remix. It's the most ferocious album Nevermore ever put out, and I have yet to hear any band to this day write riffs half as vicious as that CD. It's pissed off, catchy and defines modern metal. Did you not like like it because you expected ballads or something?

I'd say Dreaming Neon Black was their most ferocious. That said, Enemies was too, but the story and anger behind Dreaming is just unreal. There's a reason it's in my top 5 favorite albums ever.

I'd say Dreaming Neon Black was their most ferocious. That said, Enemies was too, but the story and anger behind Dreaming is just unreal. There's a reason it's in my top 5 favorite albums ever.

Oh I love that CD and it definitely has some heavy as fuck moments. Some of their most vicious songs are off it.

I'll never understand why people hate Enemies Of Reality.

Not sure where I said that. So, drop the attitude, mkay?
So, jsut to play the game a bit; I wasn't "expecting" anything. I first heard the album well after it was released, so I didn't have any expectations at all.

regarding ballads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I was going to be all like "NO, 'WHO DECIDES' IS BETTER -posts vid-" but the only vid of it on YouTube has crap quality. :( My opinion still stands, though.